Where to take a bike for a new paint job?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Will any paint shop do it?
They should be familiar with plastics (ABS IIRC...), for use of proper primer, elasticizer, etc...

You might save some money by doing much of the prep-work yourself, peeling off stickers, degreasing, sanding, etc...

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Hey just looking into getting my ST repainted. Thoughts? Will any paint shop do it?

Thanks
For the most part, havin' it done is not an issue. But, motorcycle related, a huge cost jump 'just cause'. IIRC, from having mine professionally done, there's 13pieces to prep and paint, not counting the 'suitcases. Careful of the sticker kit year used if your changing colors,DAHIK:rolleyes:.......and there's no exchange! MotherHonda just tells the dealers to 'take a hike'....and pass the info on to customers...again,DAHIK. Having said that, the replacement sticker kit REALLY should be put on prior to clear coat;). Prior pics and measurements of their locations IS mandatory if wanting to keep original and correct:).

Last edited:

DAS

STOC #
The quote I got 6 years ago was $100 per part assuming I wet sanded all the parts with 400. I shot it myself but not with the 3 stage P158 cause that cost an arm and a leg.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Tragicly funny story here. One of my best friends runs a very successful auto body repair shop. He hasn't done any shop work for years he runs the desk and when I took my bike in to have a deep scratch taken care of he said he would like to do my helmets, bags and the mirror covers that had been damaged. All of this for free, because he, "owed" me one. (all in his words) I reluctantly said thanks and left the parts there. When I got them back and put my ST back together, I noticed that something wasn't exactly right. Now my bike is three or four different colors if you see it in the sun. My friend hadn't had his hand on a spraygun in years and in my opinion shouldn't put his hand on one again. Moral of the story free doesn't necessarily mean good. :eek:

Top Bottom