ST1300 Pan European Rear Shock Replacement, Rear Lowering and Front Lowering

Hi,

I just though I'd post my experience of lowering my ST1300 while replacing the rear shock.
Overall seat height was reduced by 35mm (1.4"). I haven't found any issues with handling. But, one big thing nobody mentioned anywhere on the posts here (or at least I did not spot it) is that the bike is much harder to put onto the centre stand. In fact I could not do it. But, I came up with a solution. On the plus side, being small, I have much better control when coming to a stop and putting my feet down. I can also push it backwards with much more ease now.

Many of the posts talk about removing the tank, removing the battery, etc. I managed to do it without removing these. I don't have any experience working on bikes and up to now have left it to mechanics. It was actually quite easy to do. It can be done by one person, but a helping hand was good. Really just need somebody to hold a spanner now and again. So, even a young child could help.

Only a few spanners, sockets and allen keys are needed. Something to push the swing arm up is a big help too. I don't have a torque wrench, unfortunately.
I tried to attach a pdf file, but the website said invalid file. Here is a link to it.
If anybody knows how to post it here, please, do so.
I hope it helps.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have handlebar risers which allowed clearance for easy lowering of the front.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I lowered my ST1300 by 1" with a shorter shock in 2011, then the front in 2013. Now I am very comfortable in moving it around in tight spaces. Besides can't prop up the bike on the centre stand by myself, the side stand is too long too. Have to be extremely careful in where to park the bike. Caught many times unable to talk away from the bike because the road side was too steep for the side stand. We drive on the right side of the road in Canada.
Kenny

Top Bottom