Tire Wear

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Just got back home to Ontario after a trip to Americade in Lake George, New York. Probably did around 2500 kilometers ( 1500 miles ) in all
during the trip. This is my first long trip on the bike as I've only owned it a month or so ( 2007 ST1300 with 22,000 klms or 14,000 miles +/- ).

The bike has Bridgestone BT020 front tire which to my eyes looks to be about half worn. I noticed two things on or after the trip; 1) the bike
really steps out when cornering over tar snakes and moves around a fair bit when running straight over them, and 2) the front tire is developing
some cupping but only on the left side ? ( Tire pressure is 41lbs +/- ).

Is this normal with this tire ? Do different brands of tires react differently over tar snakes ( in particular Michelin Pilot Road 4's ) ? Any other
bike setup items that might affect this issue ?

Thanks
Jim

Bike
92 ST1100
The crack filling- material used stays semi-soft in order to compensate for the pavement seperation expansion and contraction due to temperature changes, which is what caused the seperation of the pavement in the first place. Crack filling is done prior to chip-seals or an 'overlay' of pavement, but some enities just leave it, calling it 'good to go':rolleyes:. No tire on a scoot on two wheels is gonna' compensate for that, with it 'squishing' around, specially on hot days with pavement temps of 120+ degrees. Hope that answered your curiosity:).

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
snip... 1) the bike really steps out when cornering over tar snakes and moves around a fair bit when running straight over them, and 2) the front tire is developing
some cupping but only on the left side ? ( Tire pressure is 41lbs +/- ).

Is this normal with this tire ? snip
Tar snakes are like the cover on set pudding... top looks a bit firm but slides off in warm weather. The tires do have a tendency to slide over as the top gives... Normal. Good thing is that most aren't that wide so the slippage is really an inch or so... feels bad for a sec but gone before reaction time.

As to the cupping, I've always run the 020f at 42psi, in the second half of their life it's normal for me to see cupping ( left side ) too. Has to do with the 'crown' of the road and prob due to fact you make left sweepers a bit faster than right sweepers.... nothing new with this either.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
No tire on a scoot on two wheels is gonna' compensate for that, with it 'squishing' around, specially on hot days with pavement temps of 120+ degrees.
But their also fun in the wet, when their hiding unseen in a road surface darkened by water... ;-)
Still interesting that some tires are more sensitive to those tar-snakes, then others...

Bike
2003 ST1300
My experience with the BT020 is similar. It was very affected by "tire snakes". The second half of its life I started getting a noise and slight vibration when cornering. I was worried that the front bearings were going, but its apparently typical of this tire.
I am currently running a PR4 on the front and although it only has a couple thousand miles on it, it seems better on both counts.

Top Bottom