Ignition Switch replacement...

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Hi, yesterday my key decided to stop turning in the ignition at a most inconvenient time. After towing it home I ordered a switch on Partzilla.

2 Questions...

1. I have looked in the book and searched the forum but cannot find anything that shows exactly what needs to be removed to replace the switch. The book says that the top bridge needs to be removed. Do i need to remove any tupperware as well?

2. I have a trip to Nova Scotia planned in leas than 2 weeks and I am not confident I will have the part in time. Is there a faster way to get OEM parts? I will call dealers on a 2 hour radius but I doubt they will stock this.

help is always appreciated...

Bob

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
... my key decided to stop turning in the ignition...
What kind of shape is the key in? Do you have more than one?

Before you chuck in on replacing the ignition switch, get a locksmith out to look at it. There's a pretty fair chance your key has just worn to the point where it won't operate the lock anymore, and a good locksmith will be able to create a new, properly-cut key based on the old one. (Note that this doesn't mean duplicating the worn key; that's a recipe for failure.) If you have the tag with the key code that was originally delivered with your bike, a new key can be cut from that, too.

But to answer your questions...

1. I have looked in the book and searched the forum but cannot find anything that shows exactly what needs to be removed to replace the switch. The book says that the top bridge needs to be removed. Do i need to remove any tupperware as well?
Ohhhh yes. You'll be disassembling a big chunk of the front end and using a screw extractor to remove the one-way screws that hold the switch in place. Don't forget to order a pair of those if you replace the lock. The ignition lock is available only as part of a full set, which will run you well north of $200. Plus you'll have to replace all of the other locks if you don't want to carry two keys. If your old key is worn, it will eventually stop working in the other locks, too.

2. Is there a faster way to get OEM parts?
The fastest way to get parts is to have your nearest dealer order them. Honda will put them in a future truck shipment to the dealer (I think most get two deliveries a week) and then you pick them up when they arrive. Anything mail-order will require that plus whatever time it takes for shipment from them to you.

--Mark

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
While I have not done this on the ST I have on an FJR. I had to remove the top triple clamp (not a big deal). then you need to drill out the screws. Once they are out its just remove and replace. When I did it I did not use the 1 time use screws to put in the new parts. This way I can remove it again if needed. Either way it was maybe a 1 hour job with all the tools. The issue I had was having the right socket to re-torque the triple clamp.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When replacing the ignition switch on my '04#2, I had to drill the head off of one of those "one-way" bolts!

ignitionSwitchReplacement-s.jpg

Also, you will have to remove the left side lower cowl to get to the connector where it connects to the main harness.

It's located in this area:

ignitionswitchconctrLoc.jpg

Good luck!

OP
OP
bwoodsom
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I just ordered one that will be here on Wednesday. I canceled the Partzilla order as it wasn't going to ship until Thursday. I did try multiple keys. There is no tumbler feeling when you put the key in the slot anymore. I think something came apart in there. I was able to order just the ignition and I ordered a keyless gas cap from ebay while I was at it.

Will disassemble tonight.

Thanks for the great info guys.

Bike
ST1300
I know this is an old post but in hindsight do you think you could have got enough access to the underside of the switch to get in there with an EZ-out to remove the one way bolts without having to remove the headlight fairing and top triple clamp? I'm facing the same problem right now and gathering my information before I start blacksmithing.

Thanks
KC
:slv11:

When replacing the ignition switch on my '04#2, I had to drill the head off of one of those "one-way" bolts!

ignitionSwitchReplacement-s.jpg

Also, you will have to remove the left side lower cowl to get to the connector where it connects to the main harness.

It's located in this area:

ignitionswitchconctrLoc.jpg

Good luck!

Top Bottom