Coring mufflers

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have a used set of mufflers on the way via ebay...... I plan to core them and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with that? Words of advice?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I think for the obvious reason that you will upset the balance of exhaust back pressure and mixture requirements that Honda has engineered into the entire fuel/exhaust system. Result, less efficiency from your engine.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Why? Don't see the purpose. In addition to sound reduction, the muffler (and all of exhaust system) is designed to provide the appropriate back pressure and pressure frequency for the engine and exhaust flow. If you want a different sound, get aftermarket. That being said, try it and see how it works.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
There was a post here where they surgically cut open a section and remove the cat converter. Out come was a little louder and not as hot. But this was on a st1300

Bike
92 ST1100
I have a used set of mufflers on the way via ebay...... I plan to core them and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with that? Words of advice?
You haven't stated whether a stock set or not?:confused: If so, John O. covered ALL of it in one word!;):D.

Bike
1997 ST1100
The engineers at Honda are really smart guys (except for theguys that design the seats) if you change exhaust you may have to change carbjets, timing, air intake, carb syncing. If looking for the Harley sound see theattached link…..https://youtu.be/EzGqY2zHuSo

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I see it this way, it's your money and time. If you want to tinker with something, go ahead. Maybe you will learn something others here could benefit from. Maybe you will just confirm what others here already seem to know. Either way, if it keeps your hands busy and your mind working, have fun with it.

If necessity is the mother of invention, it stands to reason that "Lets see what happens if I do this" is probably the father.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Listen to John O. His "humble opinion" is well founded. The exhaust and intake are a balanced set. Alter one, and you have to alter the other to match. While noise reduction is a consideration in the original design, changing the exhaust will also affect the engine's power characteristics. You'll end up only making more noise, and annoying other people...

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I see it this way, it's your money and time. If you want to tinker with something, go ahead. Maybe you will learn something others here could benefit from. Maybe you will just confirm what others here already seem to know. Either way, if it keeps your hands busy and your mind working, have fun with it.

If necessity is the mother of invention, it stands to reason that "Lets see what happens if I do this" is probably the father.
That makes "Hold my Beer and watch this" the Crazy Uncle.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Try it, as long as you have a set to go back to why not try it? On my 1300 I replaced them with Delkevics that were cheap and sounded great man did they reduce heat and weighed about half as much. You probably won't see much of a weight difference and I have very rarely heard stock pipes sound better after de-catted but hey, who knows?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Listen to John O. His "humble opinion" is well founded. The exhaust and intake are a balanced set. Alter one, and you have to alter the other to match.
Quite right, and you'll loose the typical low RPM torque character the ST1100 is so famous for...
The internal combustion engine is a "gas breathing organism", tuned and deigned from air-box, the ventures, heads, cylinders, manifolds down to the end-pipes...

OP
OP
bobdog2o02
Bike
2000 ST1100
Ok, thanks for all the responses.

1. the set on the way is a stock honda set from a crashed bike, about $100.

2. My goal is to make it a bit louder and maybe find some more throttle response. I do know about what is necessary tuning wise after i do this and am willing to go down that rabbit hole.

3. I want them to LOOK factory, AND have the factory relief cut in the bottom of each side for rear wheel removal. It doesnt look to me like any after market set has axle removal in it's thought pattern. i'm assuming you must remove the mufflers for tire changes with most or all aftermarket mufflers.

4. I ride 12,00o miles a year and only get around 3,000 miles out of a set of tires, do the math.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
4. I ride 12,00o miles a year and only get around 3,000 miles out of a set of tires, do the math.
I am sorry, but what math. Most go the after market exhaust to increase performance, which may DECREASE tire mileage. Louder does make it better. Guess you can not tell I like stock.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Many aftermarket cans are slip-ons... come off in about 2 minutes for tire and brake work. Two-Brothers are ones I used to have... switched back to stock cans though... much quieter and my ST11 is definitely quicker with stockers. 3,000 miles/set? You must ride really frisky!... I get about 13,000+ miles per set, although not riding too frisky very often.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Quite right, and you'll loose the typical low RPM torque character the ST1100 is so famous for...
The internal combustion engine is a "gas breathing organism", tuned and deigned from air-box, the ventures, heads, cylinders, manifolds down to the end-pipes...
I haven't heard that term used before. What did you mean... the intake manifold?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok, thanks for all the responses.
3. I want them to LOOK factory, AND have the factory relief cut in the bottom of each side for rear wheel removal.
Interesting. On the 1300 I had to either remove the cans or at least loosen them and swing them out of the way to get the axle out. Makes it much easier if they are completely off the bike..... ymmv

Top Bottom