Bike Lurched when Accelerating - Clutch Problem?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi Folks. I have a 2003 New to me ST1300 with 65,000KM on it (40,300 Miles) and for the first time today something weird occured.. I allowed the bike sufficient time to warm up, and then when I was attempting to accelerate onto the road from my drive way, I released the clutch trying to get out smoothly but instead there was no movement even with the clutch mostly out, then just BOOM sudden acceleration... pulled the clutch back in, and then tried again (Almost stalled that first time) and then for the rest of the ride it was smooth again.

Is this a specific problem that I should be aware of or could it be something as easy as doing an oil change or something? I did let the bike sit for about 2 weeks or so while I was riding my Triumph...

:confused::confused:

Bike
2006 ST1300
With a new to you bike I'd go through an all fluid change. How's the color in the clutch fluid window? Should be clear if new. The darker brown it goes the older it is.

Clutch fluid change at least once every 2 years. Clutch itself not a known problem. old clutch fluid causing problems with clutch operation...known problem. Give it a good bleed with new fluid.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
The return orifice in the clutch master cylinder may be clogged, not letting the fluid return to the resevoir, releasing the clutch. A fluid change may cure the problem. You could look in the resevoir, to see if and milky crud has accumulated in the bottom.

If that's not the problem, then an oil change might be in order.

Or, since it's new to you, if you don't know the maintenance history, do both. A couple of hours work for some piece of mind.

John

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Hey Guys,

My bike is parked so it looks low but its not (Wheel is to the side) but this is the color of the clutch fluid right now... does it look normal? This is my first bike with a hydro clutch.

clutch.jpg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Amber fluid hasn't been changed on time or mileage.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
OK I've setup an appointment with our local Honda Mechanic to do a bunch of fluid changes along with oil change ETC to keep the bike fresh. It hasn't had any attention since last year I am sure (Damn winter) at least I have another Bike to ride while this is being serviced (Rocket 3)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Definitely have the clutch fluid replaced, because it's not supposed to look like apple juice. I'd have the brakes done, too.

You may also want to remove and inspect the brass bushing that links the clutch lever to the plunger in the master cylinder. These get scored over time and that can make the lever travel uneven or even sticky. I pull mine out every year and lube it with silicone grease (same stuff you use on the master cylinder boots) and replace it when it wears. For me, that's been about every three years. This is an easy DIY job; all you need is a screwdriver and a wrench to remove the lever pivot and the whole thing comes right out.

--Mark

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Your bike is way over due for a fluid change. Make sure to change all fluids and filters and check your wheel bearings also. You will need to do a proper bleed on the clutch and brakes and most mechanics at shops do not know how to do it on the linked brakes. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Your bike is way over due for a fluid change. Make sure to change all fluids and filters and check your wheel bearings also. You will need to do a proper bleed on the clutch and brakes and most mechanics at shops do not know how to do it on the linked brakes. Good luck.
I'm no mechanic myself and even small tasks like these are a little overwhelming for me, there is a very good Honda dealership nearby I will make sure to ask if they are familiar with working on the ST1300 and its quirky features.

Top Bottom