Fresh air intake duct tube (x2?)

My wife just calls me an old joke. Well my family does too. And the new My-MC won't accept me as a member.

So therefore I'm here. Hi Dean.

The Cheese

I've got both tubes on my 95. I put it on bout a year ago. I want to say the left sidecover doesn’t get as hot, but it could be just my imagination. It is a tight squeeze to get the pocket cover thing back on.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
In summertime in Texas, I could probably use two hoses to help cool the shelter, but only have one on my '99. In the winter, I plug the one with a black rag to help warm the shelter.
I think the purpose of the right-hand one is to cool the automatic fuel valve. So two hoses makes sense in Texas (southern USA) in the summer.
(Then, get another black rag to keep out the winter cold.)

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think the purpose of the right-hand one is to cool the automatic fuel valve.
The main purpose is to deliver normal tempered ambient air (not heated to like a thousand degrees by the engine) to the air-box intake, which is located back there... so as I wrote: better volumetric efficiency for the mixture filling your cylinders ;-)

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
I've had my left side in for 8-maybe 9 years no icing even on Pikes Peak or our local Sandia Crest at over 10K during the winter here in NM. I made the scoop and tubing out of a mini shop vac set. Works fine I suppose, not really much difference in mpg that I've ever noticed and it is a bit tight getting past the tube when tuning the carbs and such :rolleyes:

Best, Ed

Top Bottom