ST1100 A, ST1100 AC, and ST1100A AC . . . what's the difference

Bike
1992 ST1100
When I go to partzilla and try to find my bike, they list these 3. What's the difference between them and how do I know which I have?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A generally indicates ABS - I or II. If you have a 1992, you either have a standard (non a) or a ABSI (ST1100a). ABS is usually noted on the bodywork and you will have a different light bar above the speedo with an ABS light.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't think that's what he was asking UP. I too have noticed these different Partzilla categories with wonderment. I think it safe to say that the first one you listed IS about the ABS model, but I'm unsure about the other two. FWIW, I have always used the ST1100 AC category for my standard ST, with no issues on the parts I order. I took it to mean a standard American/Canadian bike.:confused:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You may be right on the later. But most ST1100s in the old Honda parts program that are ABSIIs are listed as ST1100AX, ST1100AZ, ST1100A? Most parts will fit either model except the brake components, coolant jug, front fender and few other odds and ends.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I don't think that's what he was asking UP. I too have noticed these different Partzilla categories with wonderment. I think it safe to say that the first one you listed IS about the ABS model, but I'm unsure about the other two. FWIW, I have always used the ST1100 AC category for my standard ST, with no issues on the parts I order. I took it to mean a standard American/Canadian bike.:confused:
The ST1100A AC is the ABS model. The ST1100 A model is the standard model without the evaporative canister. The ST1100 AC is the standard model with the evap canister.

Not sure which emissions variations existed in the '92 model, but that would appear to be the significance of the "C" suffix. Either Canada or California would be my guess, and of those two I'd probably guess California. Or maybe even simpler, the C stands for canister.

Last edited:
Bike
1992 ST1100ABS
STOC #
The California model of A 92 ST1100a also has smaller main jets. Also the 92 ST1100a also has the gold wheels

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
The ST1100A AC is the ABS model. The ST1100 A model is the standard model without the evaporative canister. The ST1100 AC is the standard model with the evap canister.
Not sure which emissions variations existed in the '92 model, but that would appear to be the significance of the "C" suffix. Either Canada or California would be my guess, and of those two, I'd probably guess California. Or maybe even simpler, the C stands for canister.
Good guesses all the way, except that last one, and even it works in practice if one knows whether the bike originally had a canister.

AC means California; thus C stands for California.
The ABS model is the ST1100A AC. (The first A there means ABS; the second A is part of AC, meaning that the ABS model had California emissions and hence originally had a canister.)
The "ST1100 A" on Partszilla is poor language but means the 49-state or non-California ST1100, with no ABS and no canister.
And "ST1100 AC" is the standard or non-ABS California ST1100. (But C is not really short for canister.)
... how do I know which I have?
If you, Qman, have the first half of your VIN:

JH2SC260 ... is the 49-state non-ABS,
JH2SC261 is the California non-ABS, and
JH2SC264 is the ABS model.

Qman's is probably the first of those three, but lack of a canister under its swing arm is not in itself convincing evidence of that guess.
As for California equipment (which includes the canister), look at the emissions sticker under the rear half of the seat, and see if it contains "California" in its last sentence.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... FWIW, I have always used the ST1100 AC category for my standard ST, with no issues on the parts I order. I took it to mean a standard American/Canadian bike.:confused:
I think AC means American California. For Canadian models, there is cmsnl.com for one. (If using a US parts list for a Canadian non-ABS, use the "ST1100 A" list.)

To confirm these statements, one can go to partzilla.com and look for both the "CANISTER (AC)" and "ABS MODULATOR 1100A" Components on all three 1992 parts lists.
(The Modulator was used only on the ABS model. The canister was used on both the ABS and the California non-ABS models, but not on the "ST1100 A" 49-state model, or "except California" model.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A generally indicates ABS - I or II. ...
The American Parts guys sometimes use the letter A to mean ABS; other times, it means American to them.
... I think it safe to say that the first one you listed IS about the ABS model ....
The first one Qman (thread starter) listed is "ST1100 A" which is non-ABS (and non-California, too), in my opinion.

Last edited:

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
And my frames BOTH say ST1100P. Just for fun!
Your '93 should say "ST1100P" on its white, paint sticker under its seat, on its frame crossbar. And the tenth character of its Vehicle Id. No. (or VIN) should also be P, there on its steering head. (P is the model year code for 1993.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But I cannot think of any reason why a 2000 Canadian or USA ST1100 should say P anywhere on it. The letter P does also stand for Police in Honda's labeling. But I see no North American Police ST1100 model for year 2000. The paint sticker of an '00 should read "ST1100Y". The tenth character of its VIN should also be Y. (The model year code for year 2000 is Y.)

Is the year "2000" printed in large digits on its steering head? (If not, it is not North American; it can't be Canadian.)
Does the paint sticker (under the seat) say "ST1100Y" on its first line?

Are both bikes fitted with the same parts and controls? (Police models have an extra switch for their Hazard Flashers.)
And would you mind telling us characters one through eight, and also ten through 13, of its VIN, please? (The last four digits of its VIN are just a serial number; the ninth is its check digit. The VIN will start out JH2SC26 ....)

Last edited:
Top Bottom