Whoble in front end at low speed

Bike
St-1300 Honda
Hi, I have 126000 Kms on my 2003 St1300, just lately it started a smal whoble and jumping on my front end did change my front tire and checked air pressure all ok.
I was wandering as any of you ever had this problem and wath did you do to fix it ???

I am thinking of Wheel bearings or main direction shaft bearings ????

Please help me !!!

Pierre L'Intruder pierre_quevillon@hotmail.com

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Sometimes a problem at the back can affect the front of the bike. Check the rear wheel too.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Lots of things could cause this, worn steering head bearings, rear suspension setup wrong, some front tire brands will do this also. Good luck.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
If the steering stem bearings are "notchy," I'd suggest replacing the ball bearings with tapered roller bearings. Headshake was an issue on 1100s, but I haven't heard of much on the 1300s. Since it started suddenly, I'd look at rear tire pressure and the rear preload setting. Is the new tire the same tread pattern?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If it's a decel shimmy that only happens at a certain repeatable speed when you let go of the bars it's not usually anything to worry about.
You wouldn't normally feel this with your hands on the bars.

Did this start right after you changed the tire?
By jumping do you mean like the tire is bouncing up and down?

Some easy 1st checks.
Put the bike on the center stand lean the bike back off the front tire and turn the bars slowly lock to lock. Any sticking particularly at the center of travel. That would be a head bearing issue.
Also with the back seat weighted spin the front tire an see if you detect any wobble or out of round condition.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If you've just changed the front tire, have the wheel balance checked. Sometimes weights don't stick.

--Mark

Bike
2007 ST1300
If this is a deceleration wobble I would change out my stock steering head ball bearings with tapered needle bearings and the problem will go away.

Bike
03 1300
I had similar trouble right at 45 mph with no hands shortly after I got my 2013. Since I don't ride no hands I forgot about it. A tire later I noticed it again. Never figured it out. Then I went full dark. Problem solved! At least the first 12k of that tire anyway. So not quite broke in. Not that I ride no-handed at 45 :rolleyes:

How many miles on your front tire? If the tread is worn funny, it can cause that. Look at the sipes (grooves) on the tires and see if one edge is higher than the other. You will probably be able to see it visually. If they are, that can cause a low speed wobble. Could be as simple as putting a new tire on.

Top Bottom