2015 Iron Butt Rally

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Some thoughts on what's happening after the riders arrive. This year, many arrived back after riding through torrential rain and winds coming south down I-25 in Colorado. You breathe a sigh or two of relief as the hotel comes in to view, maybe even a smile as you return "home." You pull up to the entrance and pause while your ODO is read and are given a document to carry with you to scoring with your finish time and ODO reading. Dripping wet, you ride off, park your Steed for the evening, grabbing your stuff to head into the hotel.

Some riders will go immediately to scoring and if there's a sufficient line waiting, sign up, go find a table, pile your helmet, wet gear and stuff on the floor, go to the restroom then find a space to finish organizing your materials for scoring. Double check everything written, download photos to your laptop from your camera, then remove the SD card from the camera and put it in the scoring envelope. While doing this, you scarf up some of the food and drink provided and wait your turn at scoring. When called, you get a smile and are pointed to your scorer. The first question after a greeting is usually, "Do you have everything you need for scoring with you and are you ready to be scored?" Once you say yes, you're not permitted to leave to fetch anything you might have left in your pile of stuff. The scorer then carefully and methodically goes through what you've brought, checks out all your photos comparing them to what you've claimed. Any differences of opinions are resolved on the spot with the aid of more senior staff members whose judgments are final. Once finished, the rider is shown their score sheet which they sign if they agree it's correct. Then, the rider picks up their pile of stuff and heads off to check in to their room.

The other option is to check in to the room first, drop your stuff there, get refreshed, change into something more comfortable (and dry) prepare your scoring materials then head down to scoring. You have 60 minutes from the time you pulled up outside and stopped the clock to be signed into scoring ready to be called.

The challenge for most riders is insuring their paperwork to claim boni for the leg is complete and accurate and that you're claiming all the points earned. If the rider doesn't claim it, even though receipts and photos prove they earned it, they . . . don't get it. Your tired, just barely drying off, body still vibrating from long hours of riding as you dashed to the Leg finish . . . maybe not at your peak mental capabilities.

Once your done with scoring, time to shower and sleep before the bonus data for Leg 2 is released at the 6am riders meeting in the morning . . . whoa, not yet. Next item is to do anything that needs to be done to insure the Steed is ready to start and roll in the morning. Your not on the clock, so why not make a quick run out to top off fuel; might save you a stop when back on the clock. Check the oil and other fluids. Anything leaking? Tires. Give them a spin, any cuts (if they were punctured and leaking, you'd already know) how's the tread. So, adjust and fix anything that needs it, secure electronics if you hadn't already, maybe put a cover on, then head back inside. Your Steed is ready, your turn.

OK the rider standings at the end of Leg 1 are up.

Stay tuned,
Shuey

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I bet the parade down I40 is interesting...

IBR2015 Leg 2 Start.JPG

Interestingly, we're leaving the DFW area shortly and headed to Fayetteville, AR for the weekend... might run across some of these guys... would be neat to see one or two! I'll be in a cage though.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Not low value!
Does the staff get penalized in points? Chastised publicly by the riders? Suffer the indignities of being human?
? Not sure I understand the question. What would staff be penalized for? The staff are so focused and prepared and concerned about what they're doing, it's unbelievable. I'm not aware, in both my IBR runs or from comments of any other IBRs, of a single example of staff doing anything that would warrant criticism.

"Things ran late for the rally staff" is the norm. There's a lot to do. Staff's first priority is to take care of the riders. Period. I'm not aware of any staff member EVER wing'ing it with an answer to a question or making a decision about something being scored that they had any doubt about at all. More senior people are always requested for a final resolution. As to penalizing staff, chastising them publicly or other indignities . . . anyone who did would probably be taken aside and counseled at a minimum, and possibly ejected from the IBR and kicked out of the IBA. All the people scoring, greeting riders, preparing materials, answering questions and in general working at the Start, Checkpoints, and Finish are volunteers who give their time, at their own expense. They deserve every courtesy and respect offered. Riders are cautioned from their very first meeting that no disrespect to rally volunteers will be tolerated and being tired and brain dead isn't an excuse if it happens.

Scoring this year, due to less complex scoring procedures and new programs courtesy of the scoring master, Tom Austin, went faster and more smoothly than ever. Which is great news for the riders. There were 13 scorers standing by to take care of the 86 riders coming in. Pretty efficient. Things get better every IBR.

Stay tuned,
Shuey

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks for the running commentary, Shuey.

After reading through the bonus list, I noticed that there's a dense cluster of bonuses here in my neck of the woods (Northern VA, MD, DE, Eastern PA). I wrote a quick script to extract the coordinates from the bonus book and put them on a Google Map: CLICKY. The areas around New York City and Boston come in second and third for densest cluster.

From the looks of it, the Mid-Atlantic is going to be a good place for anyone who's nabbed 20-ish states by leg 3 to dive in, lap up a whole mess of points and then bomb it back to ABQ for the finish.

But that's my uninformed-by-experience opinion. :)

--Mark

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
BTW, #4 finisher in Leg 1 is out after incurring significant crash damage coming into Albuquerque yesterday.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I think you absolutely nailed the analysis. This plays very well for someone like rider #1 who scored a boat load of NP's on Leg #1 in few states, is rested, and knows the east coast like the back of his hand.

Thanks for the running commentary, Shuey.

After reading through the bonus list, I noticed that there's a dense cluster of bonuses here in my neck of the woods (Northern VA, MD, DE, Eastern PA). I wrote a quick script to extract the coordinates from the bonus book and put them on a Google Map: CLICKY. The areas around New York City and Boston come in second and third for densest cluster.

From the looks of it, the Mid-Atlantic is going to be a good place for anyone who's nabbed 20-ish states by leg 3 to dive in, lap up a whole mess of points and then bomb it back to ABQ for the finish.

But that's my uninformed-by-experience opinion. :)

--Mark

Just out of curiosity does anyone know which type of bike #1 (currently) Eric Jewell is riding? The Day 1 report has him on a "Yamaha" St1300....?

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
There was a correction later indicating he is on an ST1300. Based on the video leaving on Day 1 I'd say it was a 2005 or a 2008.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I'd like to add my thanks to Shuey for the fascinating and insightful insider analysis. I'm reading the FJR forum, this thread, the IBR daily reports, watching the Spotwalla page...but nothing matches your inside perspective. I'm finding this quite fascinating:)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well surprise surprise, and old friend of mine is in 8th place in his first IBR ever after the first leg. Jim Orr from Chandler Oklahoma. We used to ride Valkyries together and once while I was at his house we rode over to Shawnee OK Honda and I happen to buy a littler bike called an ST1300!! He bought a really blinged out Wing shortly thereafter and has been riding the heck out of it ever since. He's on the Wing (Black and loaded with chrome) in the Rally.

Good luck Jim and enjoy the ride, GO JIM!

Raymond (Envious)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm posting this up, copied from a PM I sent back to Gilly57. Thought maybe someone else might find it of interest . . . Bueller, Bueller, you out there?
Shuey

Gilly57 said:
Thank you for reposting the Nat'l Parks list in the ST webpages. That is what I thought they posted just by legs (my error). No points listed per site though? You could spend great effort getting somewhere & then be stiffed as a low point location. Am I missing yet another item? I am 70 miles from Lincoln Home in Lincoln City, In ( actually Santa Clause, In,but won't argue...lol). Would consider riding to there & hanging around...just not sure if riders would think it's worth the 30 mile RzT off I-64 for x number of points.
THANKS & this is a blast.
Dave
Gilly57,

You're welcome. 2011 was the first rally of this type (I think) where all the locations for the whole rally were known at the start. Boni and point values were only provided at the beginning of each leg. 2013 was more like this rally . . . all locations were provided at the beginning of the rally, but descriptions of what was there and other point gathering opportunities (like combinations) were only provided at the start of each leg.

This rally, as has already been discussed provided all the locations well in advance, then at the Start, a rally book was handed out with ALL bonus descriptions included for the entire rally. However, point values were provided for almost everything considered by the rally masters to be within reach for Leg 1 only. A new list showing points and possibly some new point gathering opportunities were handed out at 6 am this morning (Fri, 3Jul15) for Leg 2.

One of the goals of the rally masters, I think, is to make the IBR less dependent on geek skills with a computer, programming and data manipulation and more about providing a coherent time/distance puzzle solvable by those less skilled in automation, then testing a riders skill and stamina to implement it.

Good topic. I hope you don't mind if I post this up on the rally thread. Others might have a similar question.

Shuey

PS: I didn't wait for an answer from Dave. I hope he didn't mind. If so . . . sorry Dave. (Well, sorta sorry.)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Timmer, THANKS for posting up Toby's SmugMug site . . . hadn't seen those yet and they're great.

Gotta appreciate the dark sky in the background of some of this pics.

Shuey

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Timmer, THANKS for posting up Toby's SmugMug site . . . hadn't seen those yet and they're great.

Gotta appreciate the dark sky in the background of some of this pics.

Shuey
You're welcome. Toby and Lisa are friends who stayed with us while traveling to the IBR (their car is here at our house) who gave me permission to post links as I saw fit as he released them.

Tim

Bike
2010 ST1300
You're welcome. 2011 was the first rally of this type (I think) where all the locations for the whole rally were known at the start. Boni and point values were only provided at the beginning of each leg. 2013 was more like this rally . . . all locations were provided at the beginning of the rally, but descriptions of what was there and other point gathering opportunities (like combinations) were only provided at the start of each leg.

This rally, as has already been discussed provided all the locations well in advance, then at the Start, a rally book was handed out with ALL bonus descriptions included for the entire rally. However, point values were provided for almost everything considered by the rally masters to be within reach for Leg 1 only. A new list showing points and possibly some new point gathering opportunities were handed out at 6 am this morning (Fri, 3Jul15) for Leg 2.
In other words, the point value for a given bonus location (National Park) will change from leg to leg, correct?.

Obviously, for riders in Leg 1, going east and south is longer and farther out of the way (to reach Big Bend NP) with most of the NP's in the west, but for the bulk of the riders heading east in Leg 2, Big Bend is only a (relatively) short detour and therefore will merit fewer points than a few days earlier.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
In other words, the point value for a given bonus location (National Park) will change from leg to leg, correct?
Well . . . maybe. I don't know. For Leg 1, points for bonus locations along the East Coast weren't provided I assume because they were thought to be out of reach or the Rally Master just didn't want anyone out there yet. We'll see what unfolds. Did the points change for Big Bend in Leg 2? Again, I don't know. Maybe the next daily report will give us a clue.

"IBR Rider Needs Bike" About 7:30 pm or so today, a plea went out on behalf of "Allen Hatcher K1200LT was "toast" as described in a shout out on the LDRider List and on the IBA List. He was 12 miles west of Cheyenne, OK, waiting for a tow into Elk City or Okalahoma City. By 8:30 a reply was posted that Steve Bracker was bringing his FJR to lend Allen to continue his IBR ride. If he'd of been closer, he could have mine . . . new tires and ready to go.

The LD community is indeed a great one as I can personally attest to having received assistance several times from this st-owners group. Pretty easy to find Allen on the SPOT page now and I'm looking forward to seeing him moving again. He looses lots of points for switching bikes, but is still in the ride to be a finisher and I'll bet he won't finish last.

Procedural note on being towed for repairs or switching bikes. Wherever a rider stops riding and the bike is moved without it's rider, under it's own steam. In order to continue the rally either after being repaired or in this case on a new Steed, the rider must return to where his ride was halted and continue from there. That's what Allen will have to do before he starts counting miles again.

Stay tuned,
Shuey

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
"2015 Iron Butt Rally: End of our dream"

Sam and Syd Liles IBR ride ended yesterday when their brand new BMW K1600GTL Exclusive had a catastrophic failure of the engine control computer.

For those who want to read a rider's perspective of their Leg 1 joys and the agony of dropping out, check out their blog at:

http://selil.com/archives/6288

Sam also shares their pictures for all to see their view of the rally 'till yesterday.

Stay tuned,
Shuey

Last edited:
Top Bottom