Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
The bike: 2007, 94000 km's
Maintenance recently: Replace fuel pump filter & strainer
Has gas and the battery is good
Air filter recently changed
Premium gas

Not to sure where to go, besides the shop...Situation: A month ago, I found that when I started up the bike (the engine was cool/left over night), it fired up great! As it warmed up, the rpms lowered, and kept falling, until it stalled. I would fire it back up and it would run fine. I would hop on and start riding. When I came to a stop, the rpm would lower and the bike would stall again. I was scared every time I came to a stop that it would stall again. Then, after approximately 20mins of riding and I am stopped, I swear I would hear a small 'ping' or something and the idle would get faster. It would rise back to where it is supposed to be. I rode it for another two weeks like this, then the oil light started flashing and the bike died in the middle of an intersection...

What happened?

I couldn't start it again, although it turns over. It is like it is not getting fuel.

Do anyone have thoughts? Has anyone else had the fuel pump fail on them?

Any help would be appreciated. :bow1:

Last edited:

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I would try a new fuel pump. Double check your fuel tank lines. Make sure they are securely fastened and not pinched.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Test the fuel pump first to see what pressure it is putting out and if it is in the specifications that Honda state's it should have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
A couple of questions for you:

1) You say that the fuel pump strainer was recently replaced. When was this done? Before or after your problems first appeared? And by strainer, are you referring to the actual fuel filter or the cloth mesh that acts as a filter on the input of the pump?

2) When you first turn on the ignition switch to the ON position can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds? If yes, then your pump is likely good, if not then find out why...

3) When you said "I rode it for another two weeks like this, then the oil light started flashing and the bike died in the middle of an intersection..." was the bike at the point in the ride where it was warm enough that it was idling OK when it quit? Or maybe I should ask were you at speed when the bike died or were you at idle?

Last edited:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Here is another thread with the OP describing the same type of idle situation although it doesn't appear that he has resolved his issue yet (at least not posted one)

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Last year while on a long trip I bought some bad gas. My bike kept stalling at every idle. I was about to head to a shop when I purchased new gas and magically the problem went away. I've also bought bad gas in a car which stalled while running at 60 mph and another time where it would stall every time I came to a stop. I have become very picky selecting gas stations.

Have you refilled you tank since this started? Make sure to use a different station. Sometimes higher octane does not get used much at small out-of the-way stations and can get contaminated in underground tanks.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
STOC #
From my experience as a boater on Lake Michigan it is likely water mixed with the remaining gas. The underground tanks will accumulate condensation and eventually that is pumped to the carbs. I can't tell you what protocol the station operators follow to eliminate this issue, but boaters should be utilizing a water-separating fuel filter. Bikers can only purchase their fuel from a station that has continuously high traffic and volume.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
OP
OP
90210brandon

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
I have included my replies embedded in your questions...

A couple of questions for you:

1) You say that the fuel pump strainer was recently replaced. When was this done? Before or after your problems first appeared? And by strainer, are you referring to the actual fuel filter or the cloth mesh that acts as a filter on the input of the pump? It was the fuel filter & strainer that was replaced at 91,000 km. Thanks for the correction.

2) When you first turn on the ignition switch to the ON position can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds? If yes, then your pump is likely good, if not then find out why...Yes, I can hear the fuel pump whirling/spooning.

3) When you said "I rode it for another two weeks like this, then the oil light started flashing and the bike died in the middle of an intersection..." was the bike at the point in the ride where it was warm enough that it was idling OK when it quit? Yes Or maybe I should ask were you at speed when the bike died or were you at idle? I was crawling (10-15km/h) as I was coming up to the light at the intersection

Last edited:
OP
OP
90210brandon

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
Thanks so much Al! Now I wish I could. I had to get it done to the shop yesterday. I should have waited...I want to see your towing setup too.

Top Bottom