Upgrading fork springs

Bike
ST1300A
I have a leaking fork seal I figure as long I going to take the forks apart I throw in a set of better fork springs.

We let gets this out way I am CHEAP LOL.

I looked at Sonic Springs I looked at Race Tech and Progressive springs they are with in $30.00 of each other.

I looked what else the Race Tech springs what other bike it will fit come to find out the Kawasaki ZX line uses the same springs in there forks same dimensions the Honda RC51 and couple other bikes use the same springs also.

Race tech calling out for 95KG spring and Sonic calling out for a 100KG springs.

Kawasaki ZX14 is a 100KG spring stock I picked up a used set off E bay for $39.00 free shipping.

So if you want to up grade you're fork springs and save a couple bucks here is a way to do so.

I am also going with 7wt fork oil I will adjust fork oil level as needed after I take it for a ride when all the parts come in.

I will start looking for another rear spring one of theses days also.

My ST is my summer commuter it is not a race bike and I don't want to dump $2000.00 in to the suspension it rode good with the stock springs for what I used it for but as long I going to change the seals out it a cheap upgrade this way and should get better feed back from the front end now.

And the MPG of the ST is much better than my 4X4 GMC Yukon XL.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Up Grading fork springs

Springs matched to rider weight work best. If a 1.0kg spring is the one best matched to your weight you saved some money.

OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A

Up Date I pulled the Forks apart And found the bushing good a worn out so I ordered a new set.
The bike has 62k on the clock.

OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A

It is all back together everything looks good forks seems very smooth though there stroke.

The ZX springs are about 3/4 longer I was concerned about the sag but it right on where needs to be.

I put 20 Oz of fork fluid in the tubes this what Sonic calling out for there same fork spring set up.

I take the bike for a ride when I get a chance in 2 or 3 days.

OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A

Went for a couple short rides the Used upgraded fork springs are well worth the money with 20 Oz of fork oil.

I notice better road feel back through the bars less dive under braking the front tire feels more planted to the road.

But under hard acceleration through a turn the rear tire started to drift then again I was rolling over a painted line on the road the stock set up in the same turn never did this before.

Being a old over the hill racer just flow with it reminded of the old days. :run1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A

Don't use ALL BALLS fork seals I put about 150 Miles on them and both sides are leaking.
I going to get a set of OEM Honda fork seals.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

But under hard acceleration through a turn the rear tire started to drift then again I was rolling over a painted line on the road the stock set up in the same turn never did this before.
My rear end was doing that before I upgraded both rear and front with RaceTech. I used the RaceTech rebuild of the rear with a spring set to my weight. The good thing about the rear shock rebuild is if I need another rebuild it's a lot cheaper. The rear end stays planted now.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
All Balls does a poor job showing which way they go. I would bet they are upside down, as Dave suggested.

OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A
I will take a look but I think there right I read others that say the same they leaked after a short time.

OP
OP
marv02
Bike
ST1300A
I installed the All Balls forks seal wiper kit and All Balls fork bushings couple weeks ago with new fluid.

After getting a change to give the forks a closer look it a combination of things that making the forks leak.

The fork sliders are now scratched up from the New Bushing Kit that letting the oil go by the new seals.

So looks like I need to get the tube slider redone buy a new set.
And but some OEM Parts from now on I normally go with OEM parts but I would think the All Ball brand would been ok was I wrong.

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
Picked up a set zx14 springs for $30 shipped.. st 1300 measures 9-3/4 and the ZX measures in as 10-3/16236715

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Picked up a set zx14 springs for $30 shipped.. st 1300 measures 9-3/4 and the ZX measures in as 10-3/16236715
Any idea what year range zx, or sub modules are compatible
I have a leaking fork seal I figure as long I going to take the forks apart I throw in a set of better fork springs.

We let gets this out way I am CHEAP LOL.

I looked at Sonic Springs I looked at Race Tech and Progressive springs they are with in $30.00 of each other.

I looked what else the Race Tech springs what other bike it will fit come to find out the Kawasaki ZX line uses the same springs in there forks same dimensions the Honda RC51 and couple other bikes use the same springs also.

Race tech calling out for 95KG spring and Sonic calling out for a 100KG springs.

Kawasaki ZX14 is a 100KG spring stock I picked up a used set off E bay for $39.00 free shipping.

And the MPG of the ST is much better than my 4X4 GMC Yukon XL.
Any idea what year range zx14, and sub modules are compatible? I need to do this sooner than later, leaking front left seal.

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
2008 KAWASAKI NINJA ZX14 ZX1400C OEM FRONT FORK SPRING is what i picked up for my rig and worked out wonderfully. uses racetech to see if other years are similar.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may have missed a few things swapping stuff around, and mix and matching stuff that may not belong in your Honda...
Did you check the tubes for rock chips and damage before putting the seals in?
Did you place a condom or saran wrap over the tube before sliding the seal in place?
Did you place oil or grease inside the seal lips to prevent stiction?
Is the stack height of the springs/spacer/washer/cap the same?
Does the "different" spring have a tapered (smaller) end that will sit on the cartridge correctly, or slip past it?
Did you measure the dia. of the base of the spring and compare it to the Honda spring?
Did you replace the OEM washers between the spacer(s) and the spring?
Have you checked your front end to make sure that both the forks are correctly in line with each other?
Does the axle spin freely and move side to side without ANY binding at all?
Sometimes trying to be cheap (save money) ends up having to do things over a second and third time.
Never enough time to do it right....always enough time to do it over etc.
Let us know what you find, good luck.
:WCP1:

Top Bottom