Yokohama Avid ENVigor Darkside Test

OP
OP
Did two 50 mile combo Interstate/technical runs, one at 40 psi and another at 30 psi. Lower pressure feels better. Only squiggles a little when at max lean under throttle. Turn in is easier and straight line tracking feels much more motorcycle-like. Mountain trip next weekend is in order.

KEB

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Kebrider, I'd really like to hear what you think of this tire in the wet. I've turned away from the darkside because I get much better grip in the wet corners with a PR4.

OP
OP
Kebrider, I'd really like to hear what you think of this tire in the wet. I've turned away from the darkside because I get much better grip in the wet corners with a PR4.
I rode an entire day in the mountains with on/off rain and the rear grip was never an issue. I have been very consistent with my warning to all DS users that the rear grip seems far greater than any MC tire. This means the front tire becomes the potential weak link. Knowing this I corner with slightly less aggression in the wet but I have tested the grip coming off the corners and I simply cannot get the tire to spin.

The PR4 is still the gold standard as far as MC wet grip is concerned. Can't go wrong with the PR4 especially if they give you high mileage.

KEB

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't know why but it seems going double dark helps considerably as far as the front sticking. My problem was with the rear stepping out mid corner in the wet. I had a few scary experiences before I went back to the PR4.

OP
OP
I made it 1,600 miles on the Yoko before I switched back to the last set of T-30 GTs I had in stock. Based on tread depth readings the tire would have easily passed 10K miles. After rain early I did a late afternoon run to Deals Gap for some light tire testing and the handling and steering response was a revelation. If nothing else the darkside testing just reinforces what a superb handling bike the ST can be every time I switch back to the MT.

The main reason to switching back to the MTs is I have 3 other ultra light steering and flickable bikes in the garage and I just wasn't inspired to jump on the ST and deal with the go-straight influence of the CT and the additional steering effort required to initiate and hold lines on the technical roads I ride. I will miss the secure feeling of unlimited rear traction when the road surface is not ideal but otherwise I guess I need to back it down a notch to get some better tire life with the MTs.

In summary the Yoko was a high quality tire that gave a plush ride and never slipped once, even when I was chasing the Lamborghini and Ferrari on the Dragon a few months back. The Yoko was an order of magnitude better than the Falken I originally tested. I may do some experimenting with MC tire choices in the future to see if I can improve mileage...

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I don't know why but it seems going double dark helps considerably as far as the front sticking. My problem was with the rear stepping out mid corner in the wet. I had a few scary experiences before I went back to the PR4.
I only had that problem when they were old and the corners of the tire worn smooth.

Top Bottom