Tip over damage

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh please Bob. Ever heard of Bjork Shiley, Medtronic, or Accufix? It's rhetorical, all have manufactured faulty medical devices and were found in a 30 second search. My wife got a set of Shiley pacemaker leads in 1984 that failed and changed her life forever. Or BAC, Convair, Boeing, Lockheed,or McDonnell Douglas?

My point was anybody can rant about their local motorcycle shop or car dealer ripping off the public but rarely do we know what business they are in and plenty of unethical people are in every line of work. With human nature being what it is, I wonder the most about those complain about it the most.
I said, we can't afford to produce blemished devices, I didn't say it doesn't happen, because when it does, you may find yourself out of business!

There was one dealership that I trusted, to a point, but that was years ago when I knew the owner of the small shop personally. I even had him sell a bike for me once. But I have dealt with lots of bad shops, and even the one I use now, I won't trust them with my tupperware! So if my bike goes in, it's naked!

I'm glad to hear you have a shop you can trust! I wished I had one around here like that, but they are their to make money and as long as they are making money from you, yes, they are friendly to a point...right up to that point of them wanting me to spend $1,100 to see if that fixed my ABS on the 2010. And guess what, if it wouldn't have fixed it, too bad, I would be out of $1,100! No thanks!

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
And, here in Ohio, it is my understanding that uninsured motorist coverage is ONLY for medical payments - after all other insurance is used up. This means that property damage (your bike or car) is the responsibility of the person who caused the damage. If they don't have insurance, or sufficient insurance, you are out of luck.
I am in Ohio and I worked in insurance my past. This is basically true. However, you can purchase uninsured property damage (UPD) coverage as an additional coverage. Typically, it is not recommend if you have comp and collision (which would already cover your bike) but if you don't have those certainly ask for UPD coverage from your carrier.

OP
OP
Harpo

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
USAA just dropped by to appraise the bike and they're gonna fund a few parts that I really don't need to replace ... such as the plastic outer skin on the left pannier and the inner tip-over steel frame on the right side. They are thorough. I'll have a check for $2,293 in a couple of days. USAA rocks! I showed the adjuster the David Silver Spares website and he used that for pricing. I'll be doing all the labor myself. Bike's back in the garage now on charge. For now, I'll ride my little Honda Grom on errands! The adjuster's thinking about buying a Grom for his kid as a learner bike ... it'll be perfect, I think.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am in Ohio and I worked in insurance my past. This is basically true. However, you can purchase uninsured property damage (UPD) coverage as an additional coverage. Typically, it is not recommend if you have comp and collision (which would already cover your bike) but if you don't have those certainly ask for UPD coverage from your carrier.
Thanks, I didn't know this. When I was shopping for insurance a couple of years ago, I was surprised at how expensive uninsured motorists (medical) was, and a friend mentioned to me its limits. I then made it a practice to ask the insurance agents quoting me if what I'd been told was true. Some were forthcoming and answered immediately. Others hemmed and hawed, but finally admitted that UM kicks in ONLY after all other insurance has been used up. Since I was buying collision, nobody mentioned UPD.

I'll have a check for $2,293 in a couple of days. USAA rocks! I showed the adjuster the David Silver Spares website and he used that for pricing. I'll be doing all the labor myself.
Wonderful - a win win situation. You get all your parts replaced without a hassle and the insurance company saves on a dealer's labor. Good luck in your restoration.

OP
OP
Harpo

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Well, as it turns out they don't save on the labor. They're paying me for the labor @ $75/hour. I didn't ask for it ... the appraiser just tacked it onto the overall estimate. I've got a bit over five hours figured into it. That's the five hours the dealer might have gotten if he'd earned my trust in the past. Rundown.jpg

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well, as it turns out they don't save on the labor. They're paying me for the labor @ $75/hour. I didn't ask for it ... the appraiser just tacked it onto the overall estimate. I've got a bit over five hours figured into it. That's the five hours the dealer might have gotten if he'd earned my trust in the past. Rundown.jpg
Nice work!!

OP
OP
Harpo

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Not only that ... but Bike Bandit has all those parts on sale at substantial savings with free shipping on orders over $35! I may order a spare windshield motor assembly to have on hand. If I never need it, I can always sell it on EBay as NEW. I really think I got a pretty good deal overall on this settlement.

Now one last question: I believe I can transfer the exhaust shield and pannier pocket over from the damaged lower cowl assembly to the new one ... so I'm only ordering the silver plastic portion. Can anyone confirm that for me, please?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Have you looked at Service Honda, Ron Ayers, Partzilla etc? In my experience Bike Bandit is almost always higher than the other onlines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harpo

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
No, I haven't ... but now I will. Nothing's been ordered yet .. I've just filled my cart. Thanks, John.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes you can transfer the fairing pocket to the new fairing. And you can transfer the exhaust shield to a new (as long as it isn't an early '03) leftside exhaust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom