Progessive suspension ST shock

Haven't been on the forum in a while, but this one is worth posting. My ST is my daily commuter and believe it or not it actually sees track time. Yes really, and I don't give it any slack because it's an ST. In fact, I don't even take the saddle bags off. Many a BMW and Ducati have fallen victim to what the ST is capable of, including full sport bikes, but to be fair, I am an instructor. That being said, at 20k on the odometer, my suspension was done. It was actually pretty baked at just over 10k, but I was able to nurse it to 20. With the help of some deeply knowledgeable suspension gurus that also setup my CBR1000RR and RC51 for track time, and about two weeks of research, they came up with a package setup that is mind blowing. I'm not trying to sell anything, just sharing good info.

First off the Progressive suspension shock for the ST is a fantastic unit for the job. It's not as adjustable as some more pricey units, but the preload adjuster is magnificent, and can be adjusted loaded, on the fly. it also has very definitive "clicks" for every half turn. We upped the spring rates as everybody does, and mine is actually setup to be a very minimal preload with just me (225 lbs), because I also ride two up for (sport) touring with my wife + loaded bags+ a dry bag. We upped the front spring rates as well, and increased the oil level in the forks by 20mm over stock, but no changes to the dampening profile.

Here is what I can tell you about this setup.

1) The bike is just as plush as it was, without being squishy, like it was.
2) The stability in a straight line as well as in the corners is phenomenal.
3) The load carrying performance is exponentially improved, and there is no loss in handling performance.
4) The bikes posture is noticeably different, the rear being higher than stock, even with preload maxed. This makes for faster turn in, and it definitely turns in faster.
5) High lean angles still permit substantial power inputs without sliding the rear, or pushing the front, which it did previously.
6) This configuration shows how good the chassis really is.

If you are only interested in the touring capabilities of the ST this setup probably isn't for you, but if you enjoy the sport capabilities of it, this setup will certainly get your attention.

In just over a month I am going to have it back at the track with this setup, and I am very anxious to see how it performs. With wasted suspension just before the mods were made, I was able to consistently turn 1:39 to 1:40 at Streets of Willow, which for a bike of this mass, I was very pleased with.

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
How would someone replicate your experience?

What springs did you use? Did you have the shock locally modified with the spring? I've had my shock rebuilt by RaceTech with a new spring added for my weight. I also put in new fork springs from RaceTech. All straight line springs. I really like the handling improvement.

OP
OP
How would someone replicate your experience?

What springs did you use? Did you have the shock locally modified with the spring? I've had my shock rebuilt by RaceTech with a new spring added for my weight. I also put in new fork springs from RaceTech. All straight line springs. I really like the handling improvement.
The rear spring is a progressive suspension spring, I believe its an 1181 850/1200. Our suspension guy did the spring swaps. I believe the fork springs were Ktech, but I will verify with rates as well.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It would be nice to have some professional attention to the suspension, but I was unable to afford the price. I got one estimate over $2000! I went with RaceTech because they discussed it with me over the phone and I was able to get everything done for under $700 by doing the install labor and setup myself. The rear shock was rebuilt by RaceTech.

Since I'm more tour than sport my setup works well for me. It's good to see you got some serious improvements out of the ST1300.

I would like to thank all those who posted their "How-To's". Excellent advice for do-it-yourself.

OP
OP
Updated fork spring info. They are actually Eibach 1.10 rate.

Any good suspension setup is going to cost. Good parts just cost money. My shocks alone on my track bikes are each over $2500. In the case of the progressive shock for the ST, it is a very well made piece with many of the same internal features of shocks 3x the cost. The big difference is absence of adjustability. For instance there is no compression dampening adjustment, and there are only a few clicks of rebound. In the case of the ST this is not a drawback in any way.

I can tell you from personal experience that good suspension is probably the single most substantial performance and safety improving modification you can make to any motorcycle. Stock suspension is compromised to meet cost points. It is rarely sprung correctly for the riders weight, when you consider most stock suspension is designed around a maximum of a 140 pound rider. I will bet that is a minority group among us. Even the fancy Ohlins production stuff on the Ducatis, Aprilias, and even the Honda CBR1000RR SP have specific parts eliminated to meet production cost points. The full aftermarket versions are higher performance bits. Just food for thought.

If you would like more information or costs on my particular setup, you can contact the guys who did it at Motorcycle service centers in Camarillo, Ca 805-388-5659, or email at Info@motorcycleservicecenters.com.

Top Bottom