Observations of the ST1300 after 6 months ownership - Best bike for me?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Good Morning!

I thought I'd like to chat about the ST1300 with you guys for a bit now that I've had it for a few months.
I am very new to the ?Sport Touring? type of scene, I?ve always been a cruiser guy since before I even was old enough to legally own a motorcycle. 20 years later I decided I wanted to dip into the Sport Touring group and see what its all about. Previously the only other Sport Tourer I?ve rode for more then a few hours was a Yamaha FJR, which I really didn?t like so the choices for me before buying the ST1300 was the ST1300 or a Concourse 14.
After I did an awesome road trip through Arizona with my wife last year I saw a few ST1300?s cruising through beautiful Zion National Park. I finally had a chance to look at one close up and thought it is a really sweet looking bike and I wanted to see if it would be a good fit for me and my wife for touring. I also have a Triumph Rocket III that I?ve been riding for a couple of years trying that out as a bike that I can enjoy myself and take my wife on it for nice rides.

My wife and I stats: I am 5?11, 210lbs, Wife about 5?9 190 lbs.

Current Thoughts: I really love the ST1300 for its smoothness, fuel mileage and good looks. I?ve taken it on a number of long rides adding up to a few thousand kilometers and now that Ive had a good taste of what it?s all about, these are my concerns. My wife says that she gets sore and tired legs on the Honda because she has nowhere to move around. She says that her feet can?t move forward because they?ll be on my legs, and can?t move back because of the hard bags. Very little space between the driver and the back rest so her butt can?t move forward or back to adjust. I also find that after a few hours, my legs are very tired and Im DYING to stretch them out forward like on a cruiser with highway bars, even for a moment or 2.. But nowhere to put feet. I Also find that even though I do have handlebar risers, I am still leaning forward too much, and my crotch is pressed up hard against the gas tank, really squishing my berries.

I guess if I had to get to the point of this post, is there anything that can be done to help with comfort for both of us over the long term? I can accept that maybe the ST1300 is not the perfect touring bike I hoped it would be, but I can?t afford something like a BMW K1600 or a Triumph Trophy.. and even then, those bikes may not be any more roomier for 2 large people like me and my wife. I am wondering if I may need to look into something more like a Full Bagger cruiser in the future with very large hard bags, cruise control, floor boards for the wife ETC?

Overall other then that, I think the ST1300 has a great powerband that has no problem moving 2 people at all. But for all intents and purposes, for a bike that?s meant to be ridden for hundreds of miles it kind of gets really uncomfortable quicker then I would like over a cruiser. It all comes down to having space to move around. The brakes on the ST1300 are the best I've ever used on any bike as far as how strong they feel which I love the best.

Anyone else here own 2 bikes or has experience with other Sport Touring bikes that have more room or adjustability for the passenger and driver?

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I second the russell. Make sure they do a full conversion on the rear seat also. My wife rides there with comfort. motorcyclelarry also makes passenger peg extenders that may help.

Risers, in my case the helli horizon bars put me well away from the tank. This sets me into the center of the seat. Handling is not as sporty.But your riding position is more upright. Way adjustable for just about anyone.

You can put the seat in the one higher bar at the front and drop down one on the back. I do this without bending the seat or modifications by holding out the two front flaps on the side of the tank so they do not latch on the hooks then you can easily drop the seat one notch down. I find this stops the sliding forward.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Highway pegs for the cruiser stretch out legs when needed! I've seen many ST1300 s with the blades, pegs, and they look super neat (I've a ST1100 without pegs but I'd like a pair soon)

Regards,
Vishnu

Bike
2005 ST1300
The Wing is a better 2 up bike IMHO.

I do ride 2 up on my ST1300. Lowering pegs for wife, RDL seat, and no backrest to contend with. Plenty of room between us.

Also have the 3.2 riser but still lean slightly forward. I have the MCL hwy blades, very nice change every 20 minutes or so, the blades really help in heat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Anyone else here own 2 bikes or has experience with other Sport Touring bikes that have more room or adjustability for the passenger and driver?
We had our ST1300 for 2 years, when Janis wanted a little more comfort on rides that lasted more than 4 or 5 hours. Her solution was to add a Wing to the garage. After getting the Wing, my ideas about the "Old Man's Bike" certainly changed and 10 hour days in the saddle don't seem to bother the better half. See if you can rent a Wing for a day, but beware. Most trust riders end up buying one.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
MCL wing for feet forward for you. Peg lowerers for her maybe wing pegs on there. RDL seat probably the biggest comfort change or less spendy a spencer seat mod. The two up corbin close seat will give her more room. I have a heated one in fairish condition that's getting no use PM me. Stock seat you can put the pilot seat at the highest position and jam the back of it into the middle position to save the berries.

If you let her sit on a wing, you're getting a wing...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 more for the Russell my wife would only do a couple of hours at best on the stock or Sargent but on the RDL she has done 6 hours with minimal stops and never complained at all.

Bike
ST1300A '10
you really want a set of these, MCL (motorcycle Larry) highway blades:

Still, if two up is what you plan to do a lot, the Wing is likely the best solution. To me, the ST is the best solo long distance bike, the Wing is the best two-up long distance bike. Be aware tho if you let your wife try the Wing's perch, there will be no going back...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Ricochet:

I also live in Toronto, and I have a Corbin seat on my ST 1300.

Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm kind of neutral, I'm not unhappy with it but I'm not sure I would buy it again if I had to do it all over again.

Send me a private message and we can organize things so that you can borrow my Corbin seat for a week or so and try it out to see if you like it. I also have a set of bar risers installed that I find greatly improve comfort over long periods of time... you can compare your bike to mine side-by-side and see what you think. I'm in the Leslie & Steeles area of Toronto.

Michael

PS: Like others have said, if you want to do a lot of 2-up riding, a Gold Wing might be a better choice. I ride solo all the time, and my two STs (one 1100, one 1300) are perfect for my needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi Michael!

That sounds like a very interesting idea, I Would love to actually meet another ST owner in the city as well. We actually live very close to eachother, you live at Leslie an Steeles and I live at Leslie and Elgin Mills, a quick trip on the 404! I'll send you a private message.

-Ron

Ricochet:

I also live in Toronto, and I have a Corbin seat on my ST 1300.

Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm kind of neutral, I'm not unhappy with it but I'm not sure I would buy it again if I had to do it all over again.

Send me a private message and we can organize things so that you can borrow my Corbin seat for a week or so and try it out to see if you like it. I also have a set of bar risers installed that I find greatly improve comfort over long periods of time... you can compare your bike to mine side-by-side and see what you think. I'm in the Leslie & Steeles area of Toronto.

Michael

PS: Like others have said, if you want to do a lot of 2-up riding, a Gold Wing might be a better choice. I ride solo all the time, and my two STs (one 1100, one 1300) are perfect for my needs.

Top Bottom