slight pre-big trip panic/mystery sound

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
After running some errands, parked in the garage with ignition off. I proceed to hear a brief motor sound, about 1 second duration. Then again at regular minute or two intervals.
Started the bike, then shut it down, and again the regular sound was present with key off.
Physically removing the key seems to have stopped it.
Sounded a bit like the fuel pump sound on start up, but not quite.

I'm gonna try to duplicate it, but, any ideas?

BudC

'91 ST STOC# 422
STOC #
The only sounds I get with the key off is the fuel tank venting. If the bike is hot in warm weather, the fuel expansion requires it to vent. Make sure the vent hose is connected because it will be louder if it isn't.

My bike will make that sound if it sets in the sun long enough.

Bike
92 ST1100
After running some errands, parked in the garage with ignition off. I proceed to hear a brief motor sound, about 1 second duration. Then again at regular minute or two intervals.
Started the bike, then shut it down, and again the regular sound was present with key off.
Physically removing the key seems to have stopped it.
Sounded a bit like the fuel pump sound on start up, but not quite.

I'm gonna try to duplicate it, but, any ideas?
Venting from expansion will SOMTIMES sound just like the key-on initial sound of the pump. AT times, mimicing spot-on;). Add in a bit of anticipation and worn out carpet from pacing before your LD ride this way for RockStoc ADDS to your keen senses.....wait, did you hear something:cop2::D.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Venting from expansion will SOMTIMES sound just like the key-on initial sound of the pump. AT times, mimicing spot-on;).
+1...
At times that valve in the tank-cap tends to emit all kinds of noises, from fart-like over moans to chirps or buzzing... sometimes its "the whale-song"... ;-)

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Concerned only because I just finished putting this whole bike back together, and it is something I've never heard before. (as in, now what did I do?) It was spot on predictable until I pulled the key. On for 1 sec, off, on again in 1 minute for 1 second, off.....like clockwork until I pulled the key. Doesn't sound like venting to me due to the regularity, but what do I know!!

Have not been able to coax it into a repeat performance.

Bike
92 ST1100
Concerned only because I just finished putting this whole bike back together, and it is something I've never heard before. (as in, now what did I do?) It was spot on predictable until I pulled the key. On for 1 sec, off, on again in 1 minute for 1 second, off.....like clockwork until I pulled the key. Doesn't sound like venting to me due to the regularity, but what do I know!!

Have not been able to coax it into a repeat performance.
Refer back to Jim Van's post#3:eek::).....or using spare key, open latch and twist cap loose next time things 'talk' to you;).
Or......lastly, fill that SuperTanker with fuel and get yourself here in the next several days as planned;):).

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Ok... I had a noise that was similar and drove me crazy...lasts for about a second.... it was the motor for the HEADLIGHT. Seems like the adjuster had a bad spot in it and when it sat in that spot every now and then the motor would whine but not move the headlight... took 3 weeks to fiq it out\

edit; ( adjuster on 1100? ) saw the model after post

Last edited:

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
... It was spot on predictable until I pulled the key. On for 1 sec, off, on again in 1 minute for 1 second, off.....like clockwork until I pulled the key. Doesn't sound like venting to me due to the regularity, ...
The clock is the only stock device that remains turned on after the ignition is off. I've never heard of the clock making any sound; it's all electronic. But could you try pulling the clock fuse to see if that affects the sound?

This is your '91? Please list any electrical mods or additions made to it, especially those that draw electric power with the key off, or have a timer in them.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
The clock is the only stock device that remains turned on after the ignition is off. I've never heard of the clock making any sound; it's all electronic. But could you try pulling the clock fuse to see if that affects the sound?

This is your '91? Please list any electrical mods or additions made to it, especially those that draw electric power with the key off, or have a timer in them.
No, it's the newer one, 99IIRC

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
After a 650 mile ride to Chicago, this noise has not repeated. No idea what it was. It's the reassembled' 99.

Today, with the bike on the center stand, I notice rear brake pad/rotor noise/drag when rotating the wheel. Seems more than the usual slight rubbing sound, but maybe just due to new pads.

I'll just 'go ride'...

Oh, does 13.5 on the voltmeter sound right while under way? I'm used to seeing 14.8 -15 on the 91. This is the first time I've run a voltmeter on the 99.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Glad to hear the sound went away, Dean.

As to the voltage reading... normal?: depends. Where are the meter leads connected? What's the reading with a multimeter's probes right at the battery posts?

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Voltmeter is just plugged into the switched acc. terminal of the 99 John. No multimeter with me. rear brake noise sound normal.

Do we all hear interesting noises prior to a trip??

Bike
92 ST1100
Voltmeter is just plugged into the switched acc. terminal of the 99 John. No multimeter with me. rear brake noise sound normal.

Do we all hear interesting noises prior to a trip??
Would'nt know Dean, the voices in my head have went silent:D. Yup on the rear brake.....just a pad to rotor normal scuffing sound. Should'nt be using that rear brake much anyway.....just OCCASSIONALLY added IF needed;). Hit the road, or you'll have me pacing next:).

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Two good things to have when your bike makes a strange noise are:

1. A stethoscope, to narrow down where it's coming from; and
2. A recording of it that you can somehow attach here so that we can hear the noise.

For example:

1. Put the stethoscope right on the clock, or fuel pump, or fuel cap. Or
2. Make a video (with audio; no problem) of the clock changing from one minute to the next, as in from 1:02 to 1:03. (Does a faint sound synchronize with that change?)

... Please list any electrical mods or additions made to ... [your '99], especially those that draw electric power with the key off, or have a timer in them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... Shouldn't be using that rear brake much anyway.....just OCCASIONALLY added IF needed;). ...
Better to be in the habit of using both front and rear for every stop because the rear should help in the event that maximum braking is needed, in my opinion.
(And if the road gets really slippery, the rear brake, used alone, can be our best friend.);)

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
(And if the road gets really slippery, the rear brake, used alone, can be our best friend.)
The rear wheel will be the first to lock up under hard braking, slippery road or not, as the weight transfers to the front wheel, so this is bad advice. ALWAYS use both brakes, whether normal or emergency braking.

Bike
92 ST1100
The rear wheel will be the first to lock up under hard braking, slippery road or not, as the weight transfers to the front wheel, so this is bad advice. ALWAYS use both brakes, whether normal or emergency braking.
Huge +1!....Thanks Bush;).

Wooster: stethescope....really? In case you haven't been following, he'll be eatin' up some miles past your area tomorrow, so I doubt he'll have one of them hangin' handy around his neck.....being mistaken for a doctor of something.....lol.

Bike
92 ST1100
After a 650 mile ride to Chicago, this noise has not repeated. No idea what it was. It's the reassembled' 99.

Today, with the bike on the center stand, I notice rear brake pad/rotor noise/drag when rotating the wheel. Seems more than the usual slight rubbing sound, but maybe just due to new pads.

I'll just 'go ride'...

Oh, does 13.5 on the voltmeter sound right while under way? I'm used to seeing 14.8 -15 on the 91. This is the first time I've run a voltmeter on the 99.
It'll be fine Dean;). We can cross check that when you get here:).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
After a 650 mile ride to Chicago, this noise has not repeated. No idea what it was.
Occurrence, duration and volume of "the sound(TM)" is inversely proportional to the fuel-amount inside the tank... ;-)

ALWAYS use both brakes, whether normal or emergency braking.
You need to mention that, really? Isn't that embedded in the muscle-memory...

Top Bottom