Mount ST from the right...

i always mount from the left, unless i have to mount right (in which case, i start with my right foot on the peg). and i always want a passenger to mount left, even though the bike is straight up at that time. just foolish consistency, i guess.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I wonder if US bike have a shorter side stand ?
It would be easy enough to check a U.S. vs. rest-of-the-world parts fiche to find out. My guess would be probably not since the rest-of-the-world version of the bike is sold in markets that ride on the right and wrong sides of the road. :)

--Mark

st1300doug

My two-cents: Get OFF on the side you feel comfortable with. I went to K.C. Motorcop training in the late 70's, it was taught to use the 'right side.' Several reasons listed here. BUT- HD's also have the lowest seat height there is. Some of those Police KZ1000's (CHIPS) are tall. My PoPo buddies say it has now changed to the left....as many Dept.'s use BMW's, ST's, even MotoGuzzi's. (Much Taller seat height.) So- do what's SAFE for you....and the left-side usually is much more easily used as a dismount side. Now....which way to 'cock' the forks/handlebars......a second topic.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In the UK, the road camber helps in roadside parking in leaning the bike to the left onto the side stand, although sometimes it adds a little too much lean.
It's no different in general here. As far as mounting from the right the bike's height and lean conspire to make that awkward even if safer for me. I'd really have to use the right peg to do that. For the time being I sometimes have to use the left peg to get on. I'm hoping I can clear that up eventually.

H-Ds seem to have a lot of lean. It might be the weight as well but the couple of times I've put ridden one and put it on the stand if felt like it was going to fall over before the stand ever kicked in.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Here's a random video explaining the high side option.
I'm mostly a lefty since there's usually tools, compressor, 1st aid, rain gear in the away from traffic panier and my helmet if stowed is in the left side.

Looks so easy! Notice how tall that guy is and how low the bike is. I would love to see a demo of an average height guy swinging a leg over the ST with a top box.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I rarely ever use the side stand. So, I mount from the left by standing on the left peg and throwing my right leg over. I always have my pistol(full size) on my right hip and it never gets in the way.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I park close to the left wall in my garage, so mounts/dismounts to the right every day. Out on the street I tend to go left though...

STOC #
I really never thought about this issue until now. I have always mounted from the left. I guess it comes from my days riding horses. Old habits really do die hard.

OP
OP
ndttech
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Here's a random video explaining the high side option.
I'm mostly a lefty since there's usually tools, compressor, 1st aid, rain gear in the away from traffic panier and my helmet if stowed is in the left side.
The only thing wrong with the "mounting video"...the bike is about the size of a Honda Grom...should do it with a REAL bike...

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
I usually take a running jump from the back, just like the Lone Ranger, used to work pretty well 'til I got a top box...
Little more leg strength to go over box
sometimes I miss the seat.
You don't want to hear about the handle bars

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I always mount from the left. It's the low side (when on the side stand) so it feels more natural. It also feels less likely to cause a tipover because no additional weight is placed on the side stand.

If traffic is a consideration, I just wait until it's clear, but I can certainly understand why traffic officers may be encouraged to use the right side.
Left-sider too.

One of the advantages to left side mount is that I use my momentum to upright the bike (to disengage the side stand) as I'm mounting.

If you put your right foot on the right peg and then swing your left foot to the left peg, then you're sitting on a bike with the stand still down! You then have to take both feet back off the pegs to put up the stand.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
First, Harley's have a "third leg" side stand that extends into the next county. Next, there is a low seat height. There is not much to go wrong if you screw up while mounting a Harley from the right side. Worse case scenario is sliding off the left side because you have been drinking at a bar.

On bikes like the ST, a side stand is more or less a transitional stubby stick and the pavement and angle had better be right or you are asking for a tip over. The BMWs I own are even worse in the side stand department. So, mounting from the right side is something that is unnatural for me and if I lose my balance, me and the bike are going over.

Mounting from the left gives you more control if something does go wrong. Throw a leg over. You already have a grip on the bars and you are ready.

Dismounting.

Drop the stubby. Test the bike for stability. Get off the low side while you still have some authority with the handle bars and brake handle. Get me a ladder if I have to climb over the high side.

I know LEOs have a reason for getting off on the high side and they train this way. For most of us, it's asking for trouble.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
i like a two-finger squeeze on the front brake while I mount/dismount. It's easier to accomplish from the R side. More basically it's muscle memory. I learned learned R side (dis)mount on a bicycle as a kid. Don't know why...

Good Ridin'
slmjim

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For most of us, it's asking for trouble.
Not really. With just a little practice it's pretty easy. If you intend to put the bike on the center stand right away dismounting on the low side makes sense. There's no need for me to mount from the high side.

You then have to take both feet back off the pegs to put up the stand.
True but if you're mounting from the right there's probably a reason that outweighs taking both off the pegs. An accomplished rider could also leave his right foot on the peg and right the bike with the left while starting roll. Then just kick up the side stand and you're off. Practice would be required. Not a good practice if you have ADD.

why do they put center stand on left side??
Who knows. Pick one:

a) It's the horse thing. Even samurai rode horses.
b) It's the bicycle thing. Even if you never rode a horse the maker of the bike may have.
c) Most people are right-handed (strong hand) and presumably right-legged (strong leg). Maybe it's more natural to lift and swing your right leg. Dunno.
d) Not enough people watched The Lone Ranger. (My Ducati only had a center stand. I learned to draw 'em up sumo style.)

Whatever your poison it's basically muscle memory as slmjim said.

Top Bottom