Yet another Facet fuel pump question..... sorry!

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Quick question, that I can't seem to discover on my own...

I think my factory fuel pump is starting to fail, so I have been working to install an external facet fuel pump, and have all the "plumbing" done where I can convert from the factory pump by re-connecting a couple of hoses but have a question on the electronics....

I thought I could just disconnect the current connections on the factory pump, and connect them to the facet pump ...apparently not.

In doing some testing... with the factory pump.... while the bike is running...it seems like the pump will continue pumping as long as you don't disconnect the wire with the "white" lug...the black lug and bare spade don't seem to stop the pump from pumping... and don't seem to immediately affect the fuel gauge either....

I thought the white lug was positive and the black ground....again ...apparently not...

So, do I need to ground the the negative side of the pump, and can I then connect the positive side to the white lug? Or will I need to bypass the current pump connections altogether?

I looked through the manual to try and follow the wiring, but couldn't...but will make another pass soon..

Would like to avoid "frying" anything anything while getting this connected.

Ideas ?

Thanks.

Odie1

OP
OP

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
OK, so I need to remember, sometimes its best to walk away and come back later... which I did... and saw the problem was a loose nut holding the screw driver... ie me..

You CAN pull the connections from then existing fuel pump and connect them to the aux fuel pump..... but one must remember there is a fuel pump cutoff relay... so just because you connect it up and turn on the key, the aux pump wont sit there a run.... and whats worse is I knew that...or should have, since once before I by passed the cut off per the manual to check the factory pump....... <sigh>

I hope to get out on the road for a real test, but sadly, as I am off for a couple of days... we are living with the remains of tropical storm Bill here in NE Okla...lots of rain... mnaybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks to everyone who in the past has discussed the facet pump installation, and posted pictures, ect. It really made the process of installing one not too terribly difficult.

Hopefully once tested, I will never have to use it...but it will be nice knowing its there once out on the road!

Odie1

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Good job Odie1. It's fun to be able to work on our own bikes.

Tapatalk, talk, talk...

Top Bottom