Cannot get a brake after total fluid change (rear brake non-ABS yr 2000)

Sixstring

Mad English modifier of bikes!
Hi All.....

Changed all the pads today, no problems, just pads a little low, and decided as I have a spare day, lets do it!!
Removed, cleaned, checked, all ok, so replaced all pads, and pressurized. All great!!

Decided to do a total fluid change, just "because"...........
front brakes bled fine, all fluid changed and brakes BETTER than before.

Rear brake fluid drained and refilled, bled, and.....no darn brakes! reverse bled with pressure bleeder, and also with one way valve the "normal" way, but still no pressure, and no brake- well, slightly, and rear wheel locks and only on full lever onto the stop. Have left it overnight with lever full down and strapped to see if air might find its way out .....

All suggestions welcomed, thanks all!

OP
OP

Sixstring

Thanks John, proportional control valve?.......mines not got linked brakes so I might not have one but even 24 hrs with pedal on rear brake jammed down has done nothing. Changed master cyl....same problem. therefore assume AIR is the reason....but where?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Rear brake fluid drained and refilled, bled, and.....no darn brakes!
Hard to be sure remotely...
How old is the rig? How many miles? How is the overall condition? (TLC or signs of neglect...)
Was pushing the calliper pistons in hard or did they move smoothly?
Were there chances that the reservoir ran dry so the master sucked air?

Chances are that a proper bleed *might* restore function, but there also chances that you'll need to overhaul the master and/or slave...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
You still have some air in the rear brake system. Keep trying - you will finally get all the air out. Sometimes it takes two people to do the job. One to pump, and the other to open/close the bleeder. Keep at it ....... you will see the air finally being expelled.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I haven't had to do much to my ST but I completely rebuilt the brake systems on two old Guzzi's. A vacuum bleeder (borrowed) made short work of eliminating air in the system after manually pumping two small cans of new brake fluid through the system failed to do the trick.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
A vacuum bleeder (borrowed) made short work of eliminating air in the system after manually pumping two small cans of new brake fluid through the system failed to do the trick.
Yes, I'm a fan of such a tool too, makes the job so much easier... especially on like the clutch, which receiver can be tricky to bleed at times...
We've the workshop type avail, which you connect to the air-hose of your compressor...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, I'm a fan of such a tool too, makes the job so much easier... especially on like the clutch, which receiver can be tricky to bleed at times...
We've the workshop type avail, which you connect to the air-hose of your compressor...
I now have one - cobbed together, but a vacuum bleeder. I had an a/c vacuum pump that I used for woodworking (that's another thread). I epoxied two copper tubes (one short and one long almost to the bottom of the jar) to a disk of wood that was screwed to a quart mason jar. The vac pump has a bleeder to adjust the vacuum (downward), a hose goes to the jar's short pipe and the jar catches the old fluid. Makeshift, and as long as I don't drop the jar all is ok, but it works like a charm. The jar stays on the floor, a long hose goes wherever I need the vacuum, and if I don't suck any brake fluid into the pump, I'm golden. Thinking of getting a gallon or two quart mason jar to prevent such an occurrance....

OP
OP

Sixstring

UPDATE:

Three hours and a whole two and a half litres though it via a vacuum bleeder, resulting in me buying a new master cylinder. Still similar problem, so new hoses too. Stripped caliper, cleaned, and rebuilt.
STILL BL**DY AIR IN IT!!!

IDEA*...........pressurize fluid from bleed nipple to reservoir via old brake hose......lots of air out. re-bleed via vacuum bleeder from reservoir......RESULT!!!!!!

where the heck the airlock was, gawd knows......perhaps my old master cylinder was ok???

JOB DONE.

THANKS TO ALL WHO OFFERED ADVICE>

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
... STILL BL**DY AIR IN IT!!! ... where the heck the airlock was, gawd knows......
Sorry for this late arrival, but the air bubble was, in my opinion, in the top corner of something and was held there by gravity. So pumping the fluid around beneath it usually did not dislodge it at all, IMO. (But he has finally dislodged it successfully.)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sixstring

Dave, have stripped old cylinder...no apparent wear whatsoever............seals fine! reckon you are right with your thoughts with the airlock too.

regards mate.

Top Bottom