Blood clot?

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
2015 has been a year that pretty much sucks......so far.
In January I was hit from behind (I was in my van) and dealt with pain and aggregation .

Just as I was riding again and feeling good, I was stricken with a series of serious Gall Bladder issues that resulted in removal.
In a follow up to the MD I asked why my leg was so sore? That got his shorts all in a bunch......and more time in the hospital treating blood clots in my leg and lungs....I am soon to be released on Kumidin and am told it's levels must be monitored.
I hear horror stories from various sources, but would like to hear from a rider.
What is the prognosis?
Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
The best prognosis comes from your doctor. You might consider a second opinion. Do some research - there are good and bad plumbers, wall paper hangers, car dealers, and yes, doctors. Oh, and look for the good stories. There are more of these than horror stories (but not as interesting).

Good luck in your recovery!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Sorry to hear; but, I'm glad your doctor reacted promptly.

Story time:
Brother in law rides a lot of desert, long story short, he fell down broke some bones and punctured a lung. He was on Coumadin (Warfarin) for a year. He learned he could ride; but, he had to eat the same amount of greens each week so the doctors could figure the right amount of drug to keep his blood IR in the right range.

He did fine and now rides like a crazy man again! :)

I hope you have the same results!

Mark

I teach high school. This past spring I had a 17 year old female athlete who had a clot in her thigh. They put her on Coumadin for several weeks. She could not play sports until she was off. Everything went well.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was on it with both knee replacements. Be glad you live in Florida - I like to have froze to death during the winter (or at least I thought so). ;-) I had no noticeable problems while I was taking it and came off it just fine.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My wife has been on Coumadin therapy for many years. I think if you pay attention to the guidelines you will find it not a difficult thing to manage.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
2015 has been a year that pretty much sucks......so far.
In January I was hit from behind (I was in my van) and dealt with pain and aggregation .

Just as I was riding again and feeling good, I was stricken with a series of serious Gall Bladder issues that resulted in removal.
In a follow up to the MD I asked why my leg was so sore? That got his shorts all in a bunch......and more time in the hospital treating blood clots in my leg and lungs....I am soon to be released on Kumidin and am told it's levels must be monitored.
I hear horror stories from various sources, but would like to hear from a rider.
What is the prognosis?
Thanks
Coumadin is a dangerous drug that must be closely monitored. It is given for several reasons, but buy nature keeps your blood from clotting. It will not dissolve an existing clot. Google Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Hemorrhage is a concern. It is up to you if you want to assume the extra risk of this associated with riding or any other activity that imposes additional physical risk.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
A friend with the same need to be on blood thinners was told by his doc to stop riding, as an injury with bleeding could quickly be fatal, so you MUST consider that risk as it impacts not only you, but your loved ones as well. However, cutting yourself accidentally, while working around the house could have the same result, so . . . .

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
thanks.....
I'm home, and have an appointment to learn more about my specific case and needs......the responses here indicate that I shouldn't sell the ST quite yet. I'll learn more.
Thanks again!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Well, I have the pleasure of being on Coumadin, after two DVT's, a PE, and installation of an IVC filter (just in case). Turns out I have a gene which predisposes me to DVT. So I'm on blood thinners for life.

Not one of my Docs told me I needed to stop riding. Yes there is more risk of bleeding. At least Coumadin has an antidote in the form of vitamin K, so it's effects can be reversed - unlike the newer anticoagulants. But vitamin K and other drugs do have an impact on the dose. The INR therapeutic range for DVT is lower than they put you on for heart valves and so on, but there are still risks. Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you.

I still ride, but I try to cut down on the daily mileage, and make sure my riding gear doesn't constrict the knees. My first DVT was riding to WeSTOC in Golden, CO and back. I road though a rainstorm without my waterproof gear on and my jeans under my overpants constricted around my knee - I got the DVT in the popliteal vein around the back of the knee. I tend to wear short under my riding pants now.

And I desperately want to go to WeSTOC again this year too, but I need to see what's happening with my wife's torn meniscus before I sign up. That and I'm not sure I want to do 400 mile + days anymore. And more stops and shorter days makes it a little harder to do compatible riding companions to save on motel bills, so solo riding is more expensive than it used to be...

OP
OP
richpeabody

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I'm feeling better every day! So far, the MDs are pleased with the blood test results.
The swelling in my leg has decreased and the pain is almost completely gone.
Thanks for the kind words.
Have fun!

Brian Lamberts

STOC 8845
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I just got home from the hospital yesterday. Went to the doc. complaining of shortness of breath and was promptly taken to the ER in an ambulance.

I gather that these things can be minimized with regular (like every other day) exercise. I had lots of tests and a CT which showed a clot (Pulmonary Embolism) in the artery that comes out of the heart and branches to the lung. Home on Warfarin--monitored for a couple of weeks. And O2 at night. I'll be on the Warfarin for about 6 months. Can ride the ST, but I think the dirt bike is out of the question this year.

Funny thing is I had no pain, was asymptomatic except for extreme shortness of breath. No pain in my chest or left leg. My left leg started to hurt in the hospital, tho. I've gotta wear a compression stocking for the foreseeable future.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad you made it to the hospital Brian, a PE is *nothing* to mess with....

Hope the healing goes well.

Mark

Bike
'06 ST1300
Getting old ain't fun! You seem a little depressed at the moment but it'll get better with time. Don't sell your bike, spend the winter doing PM on it, cleaning, adjusting and get ready to ride next spring. Look on the bright side, it could be worse. I'm now recovering from my 5th heart attack a month ago, not a typo, fifth one with my 6th stent. My goal is to be like a cat with 9 lives. I want to live long enough to survive that 9th heart attack. BTW, sunny warm weather predicted for this weekend here in Arizona so I'm going for a 250 mile ride on Saturday.

Brian Lamberts

STOC 8845
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Not so nice weather today, rain. Was going to ride the ST into town to see the doc and get a blood test. Going out on it later, got a brand spankin' new Shoei to start breaking in.

Top Bottom