phone

Bike
2005 ST1300
Greg - Ram X grip is a good choice and will work with different sized devices like phone or GPS.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I use a Biologic case for my iphone 6 also available for other phones its waterpoof and can be mounted to a ram ball

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
If you are going with X-Grip be real sure its of very current manufacture...Early models had weak springs admitted to by RAM rep I talked to...New ones are supposed to be stronger...I have nearly lost my Iphone 6+ on more than one occasion after hitting a bump or expansion joint on the road...Forunately phone was semi-tethered by audio cable and charger cable and I managed to snag it before it fell off at 70 mph....Also unfortunately the RAM X-Arm is currently the only game if you have a larger smart ph....BTW the RAM rep didn't offer me a discount on the newer version even though he admitted the earlier product was defective...I've used RAM mounts for years and have been satisfied but the X-ARM is a piece of crap that may or may not keep your phone safe...Admittedly the Iphone 6+ is a large heavy phone but that's no excuse....No longer a happy RAM customer.......Bill

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have nearly lost my Iphone 6+ on more than one occasion after hitting a bump or expansion joint on the road...Forunately phone was semi-tethered by audio cable and charger cable and I managed to snag it before it fell off at 70 mph
I experienced that precise scenario on Saturday, happily with the same outcome. I was able to grab the phone off the top of the tank before it disconnected from the power cable and disappeared onto the freeway... my X-mount is two years old. The one in my car is only a couple months old and does indeed seem to have stronger springs. Might be time to swap them.

RAM now also provides a stretchy rubber gizmo you stick behind the phone and loop over the four corners, to help reduce the chances of that. Problem is, the keeper ends up more-or-less centering the phone within the mount, which puts one of the holder arms directly onto the power switch on my Galaxy, which in turn brings up the "Power off? Restart?" dialog and obscures the map I am navigating... grrrrr... It seems to help if I only use opposite corners of the keeper, instead of all four.

All of this is on the end far from the claw, which is the real subject of the thread. Sorry for the hijack... we now return you to "The Claw: Friend In Need or Mutant Enemy?" I can't quite think where on my bike the claw could find something to grip. The handlebars are not the right cross-section, and there is nothing else exposed that I can think of where I'd want to put it.

I never had the warm & fuzzies with the X-mount, so I got the RAM-HOL-PD3U model. Have used it for about 40,000 miles. I have a Droid Turbo with the thin protective shell like in this photo. The 4 side fingers are adjustable, and the top is spring-loaded. I feel confident with this mount.
RAM-HOL-PD3U1.jpg

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I used this with an iPhone 5 and attached it to a ram ball I have on the dash. So far no trouble. It's not a claw but it was inexpensive at $3.00 on clearance at a local store. It's water proof and has a port for a charging cord. It's not their motorcycle one but its held firm for over 10k miles so far.
I just got an iPhone 6 Plus and bought another one for that size.
http://www.arkon.com/product/SMWPCS532-iphone-6-plus-bike-mount.html

They now make a "tether" for the x grip so that you'll phone will never pop out. They run under $5.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
With ANY of the phone mounts that I have seen, a good, old fashioned rubber band "seat belt" serves as extra security....not very classy looking, but effective in slowing an "ejection" attempt enough that you can probably save your phone.
A scary moment occurred while riding on an unpaved (but very smooth) road.....his phone came loose and started to fall.....he instinctively grabbed at it, wobbled all over the road trying to juggle it while slowing.
The result was that he finally lost the phone while almost at a complete stop, but the bike slowly tipped to the left...no harm except that he was very sore for a few days...and he uses a rubber band now...

Have fun!

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
I also have the RAM-HOL-PD3U model and have used it for several years. Over rough roads and various pot holes have never jared the phone out of its grip. I really like having it visible by the dash in case i need to made a call to 911 for some issue with a cager, or while riding and need to take a call from home.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I drilled and taped my clutch reservoir then took a good quality stainless steel Yamaha mirror from my spare parts box and screwed it on. Then took the belt clip that came with the “Otter Box” iPhone case and belt sanded the back of the belt clip smooth. Then using “automotive grade” 3M adhesive tape on the back of the belt clip and applied it to the mirror. It has been in place for about 2500 miles now and does not vibrate or shake. Now I just need something to remind me to remove the phone when I get off the bike. Your memory is the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] thing to go with age, I can’t remember what the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thing was.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?146190-Low-cost-cell-smart-phone-mount&highlight=

The reservoir covers are available thru http://MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/

PS I added a tether for added security. I got a USB landurd from Staples so it quick disconnects.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Where does the Claw (Not craw - KRAW!) attach on the ST? The base is meant to attach to a round bar and I don't know where that much space is available on the ST's round portion of the bars. Same with the Akron mount.

I use the RAM X-Grip and have had no problems but my iPhone has to sit slightly high in it's grip because the upper left arm turns the volume off. I like the rubber band idea. Or maybe the tether could be modded to allow the phone to sit off-center as it were.

The PD3U was considered but at the time I didn't know if my phone would fit with its case. It's obviously more secure but I don't know about the fitment. If it works then I'll upgrade. Besides the case it looks like I'll need a ball mount for the back. I wonder if there's a quick-release piece. A plus for the X-Grip is quickly removing and remounting the phone at a food or phone call stop.

MCL and other sources has a piece that replaces part of the brake/clutch reservoir mounts and contains one or two RAM ball mounts without taking up any more space on the bars. I see a lot of member have mounted phones or GPSs on the left side.

For the time being I'll use a rubber band or two. Maybe I can fine some black ones for that 'custom' look!

STOC #
Recently found this on eBay and mounted it on a Ram 1" ball to my PC800.
I can turn it Portrait or Landscape to match the app I'm using.
I liked the idea that it held the phone at the corners and there was no way for it to "slip" out.
Besides I have some buttons on the side of the phone that an "X" type holder would conflict with.
Has a USB port already built in to the back and I bought a short 6" patch cable for the phone.
So far, so good. Only having to deal with the massively reflective screen of my Droid Turbo.
Most of the time I look down at it to see the GPS app... I mostly see myself.

Phone Mount.jpg

For what it's worth, it was $15 on eBay.

Bike
ST1300A4
I use a transparent Peli 1040 case for my phone, with some foam in the bottom of the case to hold it in place. The bottom of the case has a diamond base RAM ball bolted to it, and a usb power lead (right angle connector) fed through so the phone can be charged on the bike. With my older intercom I also fed a stereo audio cable out, though nowadays I use bluetooth. The power cable inlet is taped over on the inside to keep it waterproof, though it would be almost impossible for water to get in in that direction. Add one of the M8 RAM balls with additional spacer in one of the handlebar riser bolts and a short double socket RAM arm and the case than fits perfectly between the handlebars.

The only issue is that I need to open the case to operate the phone - but the case lid acts as an umbrella then, so I can do that even in the rain. It wasn't cheap to do, but I got fed up of replacing cheaper cases and wanted something that would keep my phone absolutely safe and dry.

Bike
2005 st1300
I made my own RAM mount with an OtterBox and belt clip and it works great. If I hadnt done that, I would have got one of these, so I thought I would mention this for those that are leary of the holding power of the x-grip... http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount. This has aluminum and stainless construction and and has tension adjustment. Also, you can use it with any phone case. I wish I had seen this before because Im not a fan of the otterbox, but I have it now, so maybe in the future If I change phones I will look at one. Plus, I can save some cash up to do it... the thing is pricey

Top Bottom