phone

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
For those of you worried about the Ram mount X-Grip just look around at any police motorcycle in your area and I will bet you will see one on it. I have seen phones hang on during high sides, low sides, drops and the constant vibration of the Harley's I have a X-Grip on my bike on the ball attached to the handlebar risers. It is NOT going to just fall off!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got an X-Grip (two actually— iPad Mini and iPhone) and on a bumpy road the phone has slipped a little. In portrait mode this is not an issue. A simple fix is to put a could rubber bands across the arms (in vertical mode) underneath the phone.

I like the mondogarage Perfect Squeeze over the X-Grip for a couple of reasons but it is a tad pricey. The guy also made a billet socket/arm for a RAM mount that looks really trick. I don't think it's a retail item though. So for now I'll stick with the X-Grip.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Bounced my phone out of the Ram X grip on a rough bridge joint. It was in landscape orientation.

It landed in the space between the left fairing and the tank, on top of the fofk. Not realizing, I pulled over and tried to pull a U turn but could not turn the handlebars to full extent. Busted the phone screen before I realized what had happened.

I am now religious about using Ram's rubber retainer doohickey. No further ejection so far.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Just bought one of these x-grip things. What is your experience regarding vibrational wear and tear of the USB port? Assuming you have a power cord attached while riding?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I use an X-Grip but have no experience with using it with a USB port. It's been fine with a 30-pin dock port and Lightning Port.

My phone is my GPS so I'm constantly glancing at the screen and have never seen any sign of vibration. It's connected to a RAM mount on the Helibar riser so it's pretty stable.

Don't know that a different mount would be any better for the USB port. If you give the connection a little slack then tie the cord off creating a strain relief the port should be fine. Even the crappy micro-USB port should be OK and any variant's port's relationship with the circuit board should be fine as well.

If you use your device in the vertical format you might want to put a rubber or silicone band across one or both of pairs of opposing 'grips'.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I acquired one of the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze Mounts with the RAM Ball. So far I've only used it once, but it appears to be a very high quality, secure piece of kit.
http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

It got a good review in MCN a month or two ago, and the guys over on ADVrider have a pretty extensive thread going on it.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/

And finally a WebBikeWorld comparison review http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/motorcycle-phone-mount-review/

Pricey but worth it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I acquired one of the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze Mounts with the RAM Ball.

Jim thanks for the line on the Honda Squeeze Mount! That was mentioned some time ago and I thought it was a very nice design with good aesthetics.

And then I promptly forgot about it. It's worth another look. I really like it.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Just bought one of these x-grip things. What is your experience regarding vibrational wear and tear of the USB port? Assuming you have a power cord attached while riding?
I route the USB cable through the stretchy rubber doohickey that also secures the phone, then loop the cable to make a straight in connection to the phone. That supports the weight of the cable and mostly eliminates vibration at the plug.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have Velcro pile on the back of my otterbox iPhone case, Velcro hook is on my tank bag so when riding I just stick my phone to tank bag. I have a nice external battery pack in the tank bag that keeps phone charged for all day riding up to @ 1 week. A serious advantage to this setup is I keep phone charged and have no alternator noise in phone.

Top Bottom