Muffler clamps

Bike
1997 ST1100
I pulled my exhaust system to paint it. When I re-installed the mufflers I could not recall exactly how the clamps went. I noted that there was a small tab on them and that the area where the bolts resided was offset. I checked the manual and it vaguely indicated that the bolts needed to point down towards the forward foot pegs. I installed the mufflers with new seals and pushed them in until the top of the raised ring on the muffler was pretty much even with the top of the beveled edge on the collector flange. I put the tab on the clamp up and into the aft slot in the flange and that left bolt heads pointing down and towards the foot pegs. When I tightened the bolts the tab fell in between the ring on the muffler and the seal. After everything was torqued the area were the bolts reside did not look right. The area of the clamp where the ends are suppose to fit together was flared out and digging into the muffler and the collector. Does anyone have a picture of how it should look? Should the tab on the clamp have gone above the ring on the muffler? I torqued the clamp bolts to 16 lbft with a calibrated torque wrench.

Top Bottom