Called up Spiegler to replace my clutch and brake lines.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah there's other companies to choose from but that was part of what it took so long to make this decision. Since I had 2.75 inch risers I asked them to add 3 inches to the clutch and front brake lines, 251.93 including shipping, for all four lines. One thing I thought was interesting about the phone conversation, even though they offer several different configurations for routing your front brake lines. He said the two line configuration from the master cylinder was what they offered for the 1100, so I accepted. Does not matter. My brake lines were 25 years old. They needed to be replaced how long ago?

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What I would do in retrospect is measure each line for which way I wanted to route them. By asking for 3 inches longer on the front only worked for the clutch and the right side caliper. Since the OE brake lines from the left side come up from the caliper then over the fender to join the right side line before it came up to the master cylinder. By just ordering +3 inches, you will have to route the left caliper brake line over the fender to spend the length. Had I measured what I wanted each line to do, both brake lines would have just been able to come straight up from the their perspective calipers. Is it a big deal, no. Do the brakes work 5 times nicer than the original lines, yes. Just FYI, should you order new lines, best to measure what you want each one to do

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
If they had a two line kit to start with, the lengths may have been different between left and right to start with.

I have a two line kit on mine, but don't remember if the lengths were different. BSS for the rear brake will make it "touchy", but you can get used to it. BSS clutch line gives a bit more feel.

I feel the BSS lines are one of the best improvements/$ you can do on a bike.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'm glad to see this thread because I had seen a pic somewhere of an ST1100 with what looked like two lines coming off the front brake master cylinder and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why... It's all become clear now, LOL.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Spiegler Stock config is the left longer than the right side by a bit more than really needed, but allows some options for routing. I bought some Bremzens that turned out to be wrong, (miss marked at where ever the dealer I got them from, had gotten them in the 90's) but they were so cheap I kept them (and the dealer gave me more money back because there is no way to figure what they would fit), and I can use the left line from Spiegler on my 3 inch tall riser and slightly lower rise bars (but rather wider) and use the double length bolt, and loop one of the lines I got from left caliper to right caliper, and still have plenty of room left for more riser or whatever.
Oh, and this reminds me, I got to get the bits to rebuild the calipers and master on the Tow Tone ...

Top Bottom