Knowing when it's "when"?

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
There are a whole lot of interesting comments on this thread and I don't think there is an answer that you can say is right or wrong. I think if you are asking the question "Knowing when it's when?" Maybe that time is now. If your fear of getting hurt or dying out ways the enjoyment of riding or whatever you do, then it is time.

Everything we do has risk as Uncle Phil so nicely put about the guy walking down the side walk. Motorcycling like anything else has a level of risk management that we must do every moment we ride. I consider myself a pretty good risk manager but even with that said every day there is something I see while riding that could interfere with me having a great day. Your fear factor dictates the risks that you will take and we all have a different fear factor. In fact our fear factor may change from day to day, road to road, situation to situation. You must gauge this and then manage the risk you are willing to take.

My wife and I spend several days at RockSTOC and the level of riders and their experiences were all over the board, each of which was very different and the way they approach riding is very different. While talking with a friend at RockSTOC he mentioned that he is getting a different bike moving away from the ST to most likely a wing. I asked him why, and he said that the ST although he likes the bike does not really fit the type of riding he wants to do. I have no argument. But after reading this thread, I think that this may be his way of still enjoying motorcycling but managing risk. His risk management is getting a bike that better fits with the type of riding he wants to do.

I had a riding instructor for an advanced riding class that was a riding instructor on a military base. One of the issues on the base was that the folks were getting into a lot of fatal and near fatal accidents. The instructor was hired to train all staff that rode motorcycles all the way through very advanced riding courses. To make a long story short what he learned was that these folks had a fear factor beyond any riders that he has trained and there risk management was completely different than what he had anticipated. All had been in combat and their approach to fear was very different than normal students. The results that he saw is that they were willing to take higher risks in their riding, and most of the time exceeding their skill level. Hence the reason for the very advanced rider courses.

If the "When" out ways the fun then maybe it is "When"!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The results that he saw is that they were willing to take higher risks in their riding, and most of the time exceeding their skill level. Hence the reason for the very advanced rider courses.!
That is a fascinating observation and makes a lot of sense. Never quite thought about that aspect of it. I know back in the 70s when I got my 73 Triumph Trident on Camp LeJeune, the 'required' course to pass was extremely challenging to say the least. That explains a bit of the reason why.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
That is a fascinating observation and makes a lot of sense. Never quite thought about that aspect of it.
Ah, psychology is an enormous factor when it comes to riding UP...
Just thinking why so many young riders exceed their skill levels continuously... lack of experience, hormones kicking in, getting carried away emotionally, etc... often enough only saved by their still quick reflexes...

We "old guys" might not have the reflexes of a teenager anymore, but due experience and trained foresight we just avoid driving ourselves into screw-ups where those would be required... ;-)

And then there those riders who challenge fate not by speed, but by bliss ignorance of physics and lack riding skills/understanding...
Like literally coasting into corners, provoking skittish, unstable feedback of the bike, on which they simply snap the throttle fully shut, increasing that purely rider caused instability even further... :roll:
Often is this type then even stating/blaming the particular motorcycle *not being the right type* for them...
Any attempts to explain them basic motorcycle physics is just like talking to a piece of tarmac...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ah, psychology is an enormous factor when it comes to riding UP...
Ahh, Martin - you missed my point. After riding for 40+years, I have a pretty good understanding of the mental aspect of riding. My point was that I had not previously made the connection between being in combat - where the risks are always life/death - and that experience flowing over into how one views the risks of riding. As we say in the Marines, once you've 'seen the elephant', life takes on a different perspective. I had a Navy Seal (Viet Nam Veteran) work for my in my I.T. department and he knew the difference between a 'crisis' and a real crisis. ;-)

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Any one of us could be here today and upstairs playing a harp tomorrow, but I don't want to be the one singing "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" at the pearly gates. As we age, our mental faculties need to rise to occasion and manage the risks that may be presented by our physical deterioration.

Happy trails!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My point was that I had not previously made the connection between being in combat - where the risks are always life/death - and that experience flowing over into how one views the risks of riding.
The note about the "youth" was only meant as example, not as direct comparison...

But if frequently confronted with hazardous situation one might grow tendencies to get "routine-blinded"...
Just take professional fields, where folks, despite all trainings and experience choose to not follow safety protocols and such...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Like field lineman for the electric utility dealing with high voltage. Every now and then one forgets with disastrous and sad results.
Or us, sweeping inches apart from an almost hit, putting it aside with a shrug and a grin...
You do get sloppy and start to develop bad habits over time, which is why I like those annual MSF so much, they get you alerted and sharp again...

Top Bottom