What would you do?

Bike
'07 ST1300
Went out about 730 yesterday evening for a forty mile ride east on hwy 79. Two lane with shoulders, well beaten road with moderate traffic. Lots of trucks. Nice out and back ride to the Brazos river. On my way back someone in a beat up blue Chevy pu came into my lane to pass a semi, don't guess he was thinking. I scrubbed speed and started to the shoulder, my plan was to slow down enough to hit the bar ditch and ride it out. Blue finally saw me and hit the shoulder on my side of the road. I went back to left side of my lane and threaded the needle, unscathed. Split second decision, right or wrong?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You're alive to post it, so I would say you did what you needed to. Good job on that. The other driver, well, I got nothing on that one...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think you did great. You saw, made a plan, and executed.

A portion of the population would have locked up the wheels and had to 'lay 'er down'.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Other than the "not be there" plan LOL you did good. :)
Glad you survived a close one.

OP
OP
westexcruzer
Bike
'07 ST1300
Unscathed, but still fuming and scared. Seems that something is always out there, waiting for you to let your guard down. Would have made a helluva video.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You live near Austin, you should be used to this stuff. LOL.. I know I am being in the Dallas area. You always see someone driving a car and not understanding the power of the weapon they possess. WE tend to be much more aware of what can happen and have respect for that, too bad not everyone does.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fortunately for you the pickup decided to take the shoulder instead of freezing and taking you out. Not that his 'original' decision made any sense ... ;-) As I have often said, if we had a naked, 300 pound man running in front of us blowing a tuba and screaming with flashing yellow lights on his tuba, the drivers would still say 'Officer, I just didn't see them' ... :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Fortunately for you the pickup decided to take the shoulder instead of freezing and taking you out. Not that his 'original' decision made any sense ... ;-) As I have often said, if we had a naked, 300 pound man running in front of us blowing a tuba and screaming with flashing yellow lights on his tuba, the drivers would still say 'Officer, I just didn't see them' ... :D
Hey, I played the Tuba in High School... don't remember any lights on it.

STOC #
Well Mellow, just go to one of the tuba christmas shows around the country. tubachristmas.com Lots of the tubas have lights on them. In fact they would love for you to join them.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well Mellow, just go to one of the tuba christmas shows around the country. tubachristmas.com Lots of the tubas have lights on them. In fact they would love for you to join them.
LOL.. I've lost the passion, believe it or not, for tuba playing.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, that's pretty scary. Sounds like you did the right thing for the situation. Really glad you were able to thread that needle!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you made the best choice! Anything less might have been really bad!

Now, what lights do you have on the front of your bike? Stock? Or? Sounds like it might have been dark out, did you switch to highbeam while the driver of the truck was over the line?

I don't know about a lot of you, but when I see motorcycles today, THEY ARE HARD TO SEE! The headlights are not worth a darn!

This is why I have fork mounted driving lights that I leave on until it is dark, and the I have my headlight modulator and that can be ran at low beam or hi beam, as long as there is :sun1: out. I use the low beam modulating when I'm in fog too!

Being seen is an issue guys! Do the best you can so they DO see you! (Hoping that they see you is Lost Hope!) :eek:4:

OP
OP
westexcruzer
Bike
'07 ST1300
Glad you made the best choice! Anything less might have been really bad!

Now, what lights do you have on the front of your bike? Stock? Or? Sounds like it might have been dark out, did you switch to highbeam while the driver of the truck was over the line?

I don't know about a lot of you, but when I see motorcycles today, THEY ARE HARD TO SEE! The headlights are not worth a darn!

This is why I have fork mounted driving lights that I leave on until it is dark, and the I have my headlight modulator and that can be ran at low beam or hi beam, as long as there is :sun1: out. I use the low beam modulating when I'm in fog too!

Being seen is an issue guys! Do the best you can so they DO see you! (Hoping that they see you is Lost Hope!) :eek:4:
Automotive h4s, 5 or 10 watts hotter than stock. Can't remember if i flipped hi beams at him or not. In hindsight, if he was tail gaiting the semi, and I'm sure he was, he didn't see me until he pulled out to pass because i was in the leftside of the lane. If i was in the right side of the lane he might have seen me. It's kind of a durn if you do, durn if u don't situation.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I was sitting at a red light the other day, pickup pulling an 8 foot covered trailer. 10 seconds into the stop, a guy hit me from behind. Didn't hurt anything, but he said he didn't see me sitting there. What!!!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Automotive h4s, 5 or 10 watts hotter than stock. Can't remember if i flipped hi beams at him or not. In hindsight, if he was tail gaiting the semi, and I'm sure he was, he didn't see me until he pulled out to pass because i was in the leftside of the lane. If i was in the right side of the lane he might have seen me. It's kind of a durn if you do, durn if u don't situation.

Yeah, in situations like that will catch you by surprise! :eek:4: Because I commute so much and constantly in and out of blind spots (forward and back) I have gotten in such a habit that I don't even think of lane position, I just automatically move where I'm going to be best seen. That still does't stop idiots from pulling into me or in front of me.

Just glad you made it out shaken but not stirred!

Failed to mention, I was in the pickup with the trailer.
Well, it is hard to see large objects in front of you, when you are so busy with important things like answering a text!

Last edited:
Top Bottom