With some hesitation traded my K16GT for a new RT

For the past two years, the K16GT has been a terrific bike. Problem free, remarkable engine, and generally superb in every category. My only complaint, which has intensified recently has been it's weight, particularly when two up. The K16GT with a trunk, gear and a passenger is quite a handful at low speeds. In fact, as time has gone on, I found that to a certain degree, I was reluctant to want to take the K16 on shorter rides, simply because it is a bit of a chore to lug out, and manuever in traffic, etc. My only other gripe has been that the transmission is too noisy during shifts. It's actually a bit embarassing to shift and have it emit the loud "THWACK" at each shift.

Enter the new RT. I had ridden the new RT before, and liked it. Having owned RT's in the past, the most recent being the 2010 camhead, the new RT felt like it was improved over my last RT, which I had really enjoyed and thought was a great bike. Certainly the added power is noticed, and it is smoother, but not not at all a night and day difference in smoothness compared to my 2010 camhead. Back on point, I felt that my 2010 was a bit underpowered for two up riding, hence the move to the K16GT. The new RT now has plenty of power for two up riding in my opinion.

Side by side comparing the two, the new RT does just about everything better than the K16. Acceleration is only slightly behind the K16, yet the RT is more playful and fun from a handling perspective. It's definately the bike I would want when the roads get tight and twisty. The RT has a much nicer transmission, and shift assist, as well as dynamic ESA. Add to this the wind protection is slightly better, it costs thousands less, and weighs 140 lbs (ish) less, and what's not to like.

Honestly the only thing I will really miss on the K bike is that wonderful six cylinder. I have enjoyed my boxers in the past, and love the punch of this new one.

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Congrats on the new ride...love this out of context quote.....
I have enjoyed my boxers in the past, and love the punch of this new one.
Nothing like going back to whitie tighties............:D.........BTW, what color? AND we need pictures........ff

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
If that's what trips your trigger!?!?

:confused::confused:

:D
Shame on you, George...where's your tolerance? :rofl1: You need to take some sensitivity classes. :crackup:crackup

Judge, I rode my buddy's (Mr. Padden) new RT and it would be a hands down, no questions asked decision for me. Sweet machine! Anxious to see what your thoughts are in a year.

Bike
R1200rt
I test drove a 06 r1200rt at a dealer in Wisconsin, FANTASTIC BIKE. Got to figure out how to get me one !!!!

STOC #
Judge, I did the same thing last year... traded my 13 GT for a 14 RT... never regretted the decision... 21,000 miles later, love the RT just as much since day one!

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Grats to you. I assume you got Shift Assist on your RT. The SA on my GSA is very smooth, regardless of engine load.

TPadden

Tom Padden
My RT came loaded with everything. The 2 things I've never tried are shift assist and the alarm. The one other thing I thought was really superfluous was the hill stop and go assist. I use it all the time even if I don't know what it's really called. :D

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
:worthless

Nice bike Tom. I'll see your color & post mine. I only have 5,000 miles of now. It is loaded, I bought the demo model at Hermy's BMW. Yes it has key less ride= I like that feature.
Picture from NJ tag early this year. What a great riding machine. Love it.

Attachments

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Nice bike Tom. I'll see your color & post mine. I only have 5,000 miles of now. It is loaded, I bought the demo model at Hermy's BMW. Yes it has key less ride= I like that feature.
Picture from NJ tag early this year. What a great riding machine. Love it.
Nice, you got the right color!

Top Bottom