RDL Saddle questions

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Recently I bought a like new Russell Day Long Saddle off ebay. While, I love the way it feels on my backside, I feel as though I am sitting on a chair rather than being part of the bike like I do when I am on my Corbin Dual Canyon. The RDL was built for somebody roughly my size so theoretically it should work well for me but so far, I am not digging it. I am debating biting the bullet and placing Helibars on the bike to raise me up a little more than the Samson risers I currently have since the RDL sits higher and puts a lot more pressure on my palms, but I am torn. I did a lot of miles on the dual canyon without much issue, just a slight amount of discomfort after my ride home from my last 1500 in 24 ride. My main question is, Do all RDL saddles feel this way? Basically, I either need to go back to the corbin or throw a bunch more money at the RDL in the form of risers to make it really useable. I have yet to put a long day on the day long, lol, but I'm not sure that I could without different risers and I'm not sure that I would like the feel of the seat any better after spending 5 bills on helibars. Thoughts?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Rox Risers are significantly less than Helibars. I put these on my ST11.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I was thinking Helibars because I could possibly use them with the Samson risers I already have. Those Rox ones are pretty cool though, I could add those to the samsons as well. definitely a cheaper alternative to Heli's!

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
When I bought my RDL several years back for my ST1100 and yes, I tried everything else under the sun....couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought one. I have to say for the first week or two I hated it, was going to send it back and everyone kept telling me to keep it and just ride, it needs like a 1000 miles to break in. As of today I will never own a bike without a RDL, best money I have ever spent!! I bought my Triumph Explorer about a year and half ago and yes, got a Russell day long for it. Give the seat a little time and try out different options, I too put 1 1/2" risers on both bikes. I never think about seat issues again! Good Luck!

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
When I bought my RDL several years back for my ST1100 and yes, I tried everything else under the sun....couldn't bring myself to spend the money. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought one. I have to say for the first week or two I hated it, was going to send it back and everyone kept telling me to keep it and just ride, it needs like a 1000 miles to break in. As of today I will never own a bike without a RDL, best money I have ever spent!! I bought my Triumph Explorer about a year and half ago and yes, got a Russell day long for it. Give the seat a little time and try out different options, I too put 1 1/2" risers on both bikes. I never think about seat issues again! Good Luck!
this is what I needed to hear Dave, thanks! I think if I can get the weight off my palms it will make a world of difference. I had the same issue with the stock set up on the bike when I bought it. The samson risers fixed it for me until I added the RDL. Another inch or two should do it. I think those Rox risers on my samsons will work nicely without throwing the geometry two terribly out of whack.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Good to hear......I was so against a RDL for such a long time and thought the money they get is crazy but after owning a couple and thousands of miles later, best investment if you ride any type of distance!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I feel as though I am sitting on a chair rather than being part of the bike
I found my new Russell to be quite the opposite and loved it from the moment I first rode away from the factory, after my one day ride in service. I feel like I am sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it. The lumbar support keeps you in that pocket of comfort and I feel no need to move around at all, all day. The only time I move out of the pocket is when stopping, to get the foot closer to the ground. Two inch Rox risers on mine. Go any higher and you will need to change hydraulic lines. Old style ST1100 HeliBars are better than the new model too.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
It does sit 2 inches taller than the Corbin. I had to adjust my Helibars, and get a taller windshield, and add an insole to my Daytona M-Star boots, but I love the way it feels after I've been on it a while.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I felt the same when I got my RDL. Give the RDL a chance on a long ride with your current setup, it might surprise you how things work together.
I only use the RDL on long rides and keep my Corbin on the bike, which I am more comfortable with for short trips, for day rides and going to work.
I kept my factory bars for both situations, I didn't realize how the Helibars were affecting me until I tried a track day with them on the bike. I promptly took them off the next day.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I found my new Russell to be quite the opposite and loved it from the moment I first rode away from the factory, after my one day ride in service. I feel like I am sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it. The lumbar support keeps you in that pocket of comfort and I feel no need to move around at all, all day. The only time I move out of the pocket is when stopping, to get the foot closer to the ground. Two inch Rox risers on mine. Go any higher and you will need to change hydraulic lines. Old style ST1100 HeliBars are better than the new model too.
The big difference is, your seat was made for you while my seat was made for somebody like me. (Sounds like a progressive commercial). Uncle Phils description best suits my experience. I think once I get the riding position squared away, it will be better. I just need to figure out if it would be better to add short Rox risers to my Samson risers or replace the samsons entirely with taller Rox. (Assuming I can find where I put my stock risers) The benefit of the Rox over the Samson is the two points of adjustment on the Rox vs the 1 point of the samsons (same as stock).

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The bucket is for your butt and the height is for your knees. Russell builds the seat to set higher. By setting higher, the angle of the knee opens up to a larger angle. This relieves the strain on the knees.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
supposedly the seat was built for somebody my height with the same inseam measurement. As I recall the only difference between me and the original owner was I am a little heavier. I really think that the seat needs to be broken in, and I need to get my upright position back that I had with the Corbin. Then I'll be pretty content. I need a more upright position anyway since my RDL also has the drivers backrest which I can't use with my current bars (unless I drive with my fingertips!)
Depending on how much heavier you are, the inner spring may not be suitable for you. On persons over 200 or so pounds, they put in a heavy duty spring. Heavier weights on a "normal" spring may cause deforming of the seat. I am under the 200 pound mark by a fair bit and I asked about others heavier trying it out and was advised against it by the owner of the factory.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Depending on how much heavier you are, the inner spring may not be suitable for you. On persons over 200 or so pounds, they put in a heavy duty spring. Heavier weights on a "normal" spring may cause deforming of the seat. I am under the 200 pound mark by a fair bit and I asked about others heavier trying it out and was advised against it by the owner of the factory.
Thats interesting, never heard that about these saddles before. I think I'm still ok though, I'm pretty sure that the original owner was over 200, as am I. I'm just further over than he was :D

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The RDL has a crossways spring called the 'heavy duty' suspension for those of use who weigh over 200 pounds. They request pictures of you in the bike in 'normal' riding position, etc. weight, height, inseam, etc. if you don't do a ride in. That's why I say a buying a used RDL is a crap shoot - because it was built for a particular rider and if your physical characteristics don't match in one or more aspects, it may or may not be a good 'fit'. Mine was built for me and it has been great. I bought a used one cheap, and it does not work very well (I got it mainly cause it was cheap! ;-)). YEMV. :D

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi, I have an extra set of the older Helibars that you are welcome to try out to see if it works before you have to buy some. Message me if interested. I had to get my RDL adjusted twice after a ride in but it worked out well. I also had to go with helibars to get a better posture setup but my arms are really short.

OP
OP
Slasher
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Hi, I have an extra set of the older Helibars that you are welcome to try out to see if it works before you have to buy some. Message me if interested. I had to get my RDL adjusted twice after a ride in but it worked out well. I also had to go with helibars to get a better posture setup but my arms are really short.
PM sent!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Even if you do a ride in, as I did, they take pictures of you on your stock seat, so that the saddle builder can reference that as he cuts the foam. The real benefit to a ride in appointment is you are "test sat" on the seat pan with the newly cut foam (with a temporary cover) to ensure you are fitting exactly where they want you in the pocket and also with respect to your normal reach to the bars as well as your reach to the ground, which will be different, but that's normal and requires you change how you move on the seat when stopping. If the saddle builder and you are satisfied with your position and comfort factors, he will then stitch the cover on, or make changes to the foam, if not.

I'd suggest to anyone wanting a Day Long saddle to make the trip and spend the $80.00 the one day ride in service costs. Shipping the seat could probably be just as much and you get the best fit possible AND, if you want a Russell, you are probably a rider that likes to do the long tours anyway, so a ride to northern California for the seat is just a bonus, especially on the way home! Isn't that what ST's are all about?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I also had to go with helibars to get a better posture setup but my arms are really short.
The Russell is designed to sit you a bit more upright, so it would be best to get your bar risers, or Helis, or whatever, installed before you get the seat. If you like the more "Ricky racer" riding position that a stock ST1100 has, a Russell is not a good choice.

Top Bottom