Great piece Bones

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Just got the new Rider. Read your piece first. may be the best one you've done. Not a travel piece so much as a human piece. I liked it. Two thumbs up.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Thanks Bones, I agree it is a great piece and filled with truths re being more approachable and sometimes allowing others without the ability or willingness to venture out to connect. While I sometimes think about the "what ifs" of riding alone due to a possible breakdown or accident, I also appreciate the aloneness (if not a word, it should be) it provides. And while many people question if that is safe or prudent thing to do on a motorcycle wouldn't question doing so in a car.

I for one, never felt that riding in a group was very satisfying due to the loss of independence and resulting from generally trying to accommodate others needs. One or two is large enough group for me and even then it sometimes feels like one or two too many.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Artful piece, Bones, especially so with your apt dialogue. I'm reminded here of a chat with a kid in Three Forks, MT, years back. "Is that Blackbird, mister?" "Sure is, kid," I replied. "You're smart."

I'm glad to see Rider agrees. Putting you up front with Clement Salvadori is a double honor. I'd say, "Take it."

Styles

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
When riding alone I feel most adventurous and at peace. Almost every stop is an opportunity for random conversation, with random people. At the end of the day, it is nice to have a friend or two or, a destination with many friends...Moonshine. Nicely done Bones.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
My Rider came today.... would have to agree it was a great read. I kept hearing Bones' voice as I visualized being there overhearing and his knack of engaging...

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Agree with everyone. It was a great article. I couldn't help thinking, "Man, that Bones is quite a ladies man! They practically chase him down when he stops." ;)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Very nice, Scott. Keep'm coming.

What's the direct link to your Rider Magazine blog posts? TIA

John (Rider subscriber)
via iPhone 6

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks, everyone. Nothing feels as great as knowing that something I wrote makes a connection with so many people.

John Oo, this page on my website has links to most of my published pieces. http://motobones.com/?page_id=98

The rider on the second page of the story is Jeff F shooting out of an S-curve in southeastern Ohio.

Bike
2005 Concours
I have always heard, the sign of a great writer/author is the ability to make YOU feel you are there in the moment. Bones always has that ability....at least for me. His recent Rider article did that for me. It made me chuckle, a little, thinking back on some of the experiences I have had at fill ups....gas or tummy. I could actually visualize the people coming up to him and asking those questions.

Keep up the great work.....Mr. Humble Scribe.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Nice job Scott, and I see you also have an '03. I really like riding alone, go fast or slow, stop or not as I wish. I love riding with my photo son Kevin but that seldom happens. By the way check out his cover and story pics in this issue. Proud papa.

Ed Wing

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Kevin is a great photographer...proud papa indeed.

I just sold my ST last month and it has a good home. Riding a liquid cooled RT now and loving it.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good read! It's true we're not alone on the rode. When I low sided the ST in Lubbock last week, two people stopped to help me pick her up and inquire about my health. Lots of good people out there.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
The rider on the second page of the story is Jeff F shooting out of an S-curve in southeastern Ohio.
Really great article Scott! & not just because of the awesome photograph and model ;-) :D

I've ridden solo coast to coast in Canada and in most US states. I agree riding alone is special for a few reasons ...

... for the connection one can make with complete strangers. I've noticed that the adults I meet when riding alone fall into 2 groups - those who think you're kinda crazy and those who wish they could trade places with you. You represented both in your article very well.

Most random meetings get me thinking later about those people (& often chuckling in my helmet, like you say). I expect & hope I've had a similar affect on them. I've had gas stop chats with people years ago, that I still think about now and then.

... And then there's my personal favourite "people" to meet ... kids and dogs. Mostly because they're just plain cheerful and curious. Kids and dogs reconnect you with your inner child. We all need more of that.

... And last but not least ... For me riding alone can also be a great time to reflect on nothing and everything - a time to solve the world's problems or just to re-connect with myself. Some alone-time is a good thing. I find it can alter my perspective on things in a good way.

Riding with a few good buddies is great but much different than going solo. A group ride, especially a muti-day trip, always makes for some really good memories and photo ops ... but usually only with those buddies. On a solo trip anything can happen.

I look forward to both kinds of trips but I find I remember my solo trips much more.

Cheers, JF

PS: Yes Niki, my lovely 1st wife - I'll make sure my SPOT is always on.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Sitting around the camp fire last night (on our first moto-camping trip) I read the article to my girl friend, I says "and look what bike he's riding". A terrific read, thanks.

Top Bottom