Great piece Bones

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Great article!!

I never really gave it a lot of thought, however I would have to say that I also get approached by strangers more as a solo rider than I do in groups. I was out on a “rain ride” (been doing a lot of that lately) in the Altoona area last week and I stopped at Sheetz’s for a fluid exchange. A gentleman about 10 years my senior (I used to call them “old”, but not anymore) asked me if I was prepared for the rain. I looked down at my Tourmaster rain pants and held out my arms emphasizing my bright yellow rain jacket and said “Yeaaaaaa”. I did not try to make him feel bad, however I did want to let him know that I certainly was prepared to ride in the rain that day. He wished me a “Safe Ride”.

I have also received the “are you lost” question while looking at a map during a gas stop. Rather than telling the truth – “Yes, I’m lost and that was my goal for the day”; I say something polite like - “no, I’m just plotting my way home”. Giving the correct “yes” response would invite help which would deny me the satisfaction of finding my way home all by myself.

Clutch

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Late to this thread but I just downloaded my copy of Rider last night, even though I subscribe on my iPad just did not take the time to read while on our trip. I enjoyed your story and had similar experiences while riding home from Vancouver. Yesterday at our local grocery store I had an older lady come up to me saying wow what a nice motorcycle my grandson bought one just like it a GSXR, I just smiled and said hope he enjoys it.

Gerhard

Top Bottom