Extractors

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have a screw on my bike that has a stripped head. In searching for extractor type tools to resolve this problem I came across some 2 in 1 extractor bits that I had not seen before that are used in conjunction with a drill. An example is pictured below. The more common brands seem to be theSpin It Out by Easypower, Grabit by Alden or Speedout. Sears has a set that based on what I have read is the same thing as Grabit. These extractor tools are a 2 in 1 bit. One end of the bit 'drills' the head out somewhat. After drilling the bit is reversed to use the the extractor tip. This type of extractor tool looks pretty slick as compared to taking a regular drill bit and drilling the head of the fastener and then using an easy-out or similar extractor that you have to use with pliers or a wrench. Product reviews seem to vary by brand so I was wanting to see if any of you guys have used products like this and if so what brand you have and if you would recommend it or not.

41hAdj89aIL._SY450_.jpg

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Have a set of Grabits, never use them because I found a set of left-hand drill bits at Harbor Freight. They make extraction a one-step process that always spins the fastener out.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Where is the buggered screw residing? If it is on a part that comes off the bike and it is critical that you don't ruin the threaded hole, might be better to weld a nut on top of the screw/bolt head and take it out that way. Easy outs or other extractors are usually quite brittle and can easily snap off in the drilled hole, leaving you with an even harder problem to resolve.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have a set of those, and as long as the head of the fastener is intact, they're awesome.

--Mark

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Where is the buggered screw residing? If it is on a part that comes off the bike and it is critical that you don't ruin the threaded hole, might be better to weld a nut on top of the screw/bolt head and take it out that way. Easy outs or other extractors are usually quite brittle and can easily snap off in the drilled hole, leaving you with an even harder problem to resolve.
The screw is one of 3 that secures a cover that protects one of the spark plugs on the right side of my R1200 GS so Im going to have to get it removed. The head stripped when I inadvertently used the wrong size Torx bit to try to remove it. I dont think it should be too much of problem removing it once I get the right tool. Fortunately its not like its a big bolt that is really stuck that would require the more drastic measures you described but I will file that info away for future reference and hope I never have to use it.

I have a set of those, and as long as the head of the fastener is intact, they're awesome.

--Mark
Mark- Which brand of extractors do you have?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Left-hand drill bits work great. Use a size that is slightly larger than the stripped out center but smaller than the outside of the head. Attach vise-grip pliers to the drill bit and push down on the drill bit while slowly turning counter-clockwise. The edges of the drill bit will dig into the screw without drilling it out. You may need a second person to hold the bike so it won't tip over while you're pushing. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Left-hand drill bits work great. Use a size that is slightly larger than the stripped out center but smaller than the outside of the head. Attach vise-grip pliers to the drill bit and push down on the drill bit while slowly turning counter-clockwise. The edges of the drill bit will dig into the screw without drilling it out. You may need a second person to hold the bike so it won't tip over while you're pushing. Good luck.
I should probably give some serious consideration to the left-hand drill bits. Im left handed so the left handed bits ought to be right up my alley. :crackup

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Mark- Which brand of extractors do you have?
It's a three-bit set from Sears that was every bit identical to the Grabit set being sold at the time. The set in the first post looks like the same set with an additional bit.

I bought mine after an impact driver utterly failed to remove an air box screw that got stripped because I wasn't using a JIS screwdriver. It took more time to remove the packaging and read the instructions than it did to extract the screw, which was out in under 20 seconds.

I should probably give some serious consideration to the left-hand drill bits. Im left handed so the left handed bits ought to be right up my alley. :crackup
You'll find those in the same aisle with the metric Crescent wrenches.

--Mark

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hey Ken. I've got a set of the grabits. The only time I tried them was on a small rusted exhaust screw on the tail of my sons WR450. Didn't work... had to drill it out, which worked well. You're welcome to borrow my set to try.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
McMaster-Carr, NAPA, and MSC also carry the left-hand bits, but the HF 13-pc set is very good quality HSS for $8.99 when not on sale. They are meant to be used in a standard drill, just running in reverse.

Top Bottom