New OEM pads on the rear problem

Bike
2010 ST1300
When was the last time the brakes where bled?

Also, you never want to add brake fluid to a system when you have worn brakes as there will be too much volume in the system when you add new pads.
I've always added brake fluid as the level dropped - against the possibility that a leak might leave me needing whatever was in the reservoir. It gets changed every two years anyway, and before replacing pads and pushing the pistons back in, I pop the cover of the reservoir(s) and either remove some fluid or watch the level carefully. Brake fluid gets flushed at brake pad replacement time, so there is no need to not lower the level before working on the calipers.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder if the pad might be defective? On a car I once had a new brake pad that simply would not fit in the caliper. A quick touch to a grinding wheel removed enough of the end of the backing plate to allow it to fit nicely. Is it possible your pad is defective?

Bike
05 ST1300
Another thought: was the pad that you originally took out evenly worn? If so, then my conclusion is that there's a problem with the installation of the new pad as has been mentioned, or the new pad is defective. For whatever my $0.02 is worth.

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Another thought: was the pad that you originally took out evenly worn? If so, then my conclusion is that there's a problem with the installation of the new pad as has been mentioned, or the new pad is defective. For whatever my $0.02 is worth.
The old pad has perfectly even wear.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Is the stopper bolt or pin hung up in the caliper mount? That can be removed and torque the rear with out it and see if it still binds. DO NOT RIDE WITH IT REMOVED.....

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Just got off the phone with Igofar and after some brief trouble shooting, the SMC checked out OK, so he is thinking more than likely there is air in the system and recommends as Mellow did a brake bleed.

He is calling back later to help walk me through a quick brake bleed sequence.

Thanks Larry.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I got this.....hold my beer and watch this.......:rofl1:

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
FIXED! After working with Larry, and actually figuring this out over the phone from 2500 miles away, I am pleased to report that the problem is fixed and I am ready to hit the open road again,
Thanks of coarse to Larry (Igofar) The root cause of the problem ended up being the front caliper bracket slide pin had seized up. After careful description to Larry he realized it wasn't the brake bleed after all but he knew the new pads were not floating correctly on the rear rotor. So Larry had me remove the rear brake caliper bracket, whoa wait a minute , I could not get it removed, Bingo!!! it had seized up. I have never had it apart before and didn't know it even came apart, but Larry had me remove it. Actually took me almost an hour to get it apart. And this is something that should slide apart like a "trombone". All the brown crud and pitting on the slide told the story. I diligently cleaned and removed all the pitting (scotch brite) and removed all the brown crud, Then lightly lubed it with silicone grease. Bingo- Sliding back and forth easily now. Even after I torqued the rear axle nut- amazing.
I did have the wife help me bleed the brakes, she was so patient... So everything is good again in the world. Heading out tomorrow for pre-NATSTOC.

I would like to thank all that tried so hard to help me figure this frustrating situation out.
And I apologize if someone mentioned this in a previous post (Caliper slide) and I didn't catch it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
When I said front slides I mean the ones on the rear caliper. There are 2 small pins/bolts that the caliper slides on to allow it to float and let the back pad fall away from the rotor. Could 1 of the pins be frozen up causing the caliper to not fall away from the rotor?
This was it, I just didn't understand what you were talking about. I believe you had it all along.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Front slide pin bound up- this shows pitting and rust- brown goop was cleaned out of the slide bracket.
Good job solving the problem. If you haven't done it, you need to grease those caliper pins. I clean out the old grease and I use water resistant axle grease every time I change the tire. Also, be sure to use Honda moly 60 grease on the splines and water resistant axle grease on the axle.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Glad you and Larry found it. I'll make a mental note to ask if the caliper floats freely next time this comes up.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Kudos to ScubaDave for hitting the bullseye and for Larry in talking it out. Also, to everyone else who offered helpful comments.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Glad to hear you found the issue and its fixed.
I came in towards the end of the thread and missed your reply...great job trouble shooting and helping a fellow member get back on the road.
My hat is off to you sir!

FIXED! After working with Larry, and actually figuring this out over the phone from 2500 miles away, I am pleased to report that the problem is fixed and I am ready to hit the open road again,
Thanks of coarse to Larry (Igofar) The root cause of the problem ended up being the front caliper bracket slide pin had seized up. After careful description to Larry he realized it wasn't the brake bleed after all but he knew the new pads were not floating correctly on the rear rotor. So Larry had me remove the rear brake caliper bracket, whoa wait a minute , I could not get it removed, Bingo!!! it had seized up. I have never had it apart before and didn't know it even came apart, but Larry had me remove it. Actually took me almost an hour to get it apart. And this is something that should slide apart like a "trombone". All the brown crud and pitting on the slide told the story. I diligently cleaned and removed all the pitting (scotch brite) and removed all the brown crud, Then lightly lubed it with silicone grease. Bingo- Sliding back and forth easily now. Even after I torqued the rear axle nut- amazing.
I did have the wife help me bleed the brakes, she was so patient... So everything is good again in the world. Heading out tomorrow for pre-NATSTOC.

I would like to thank all that tried so hard to help me figure this frustrating situation out.
And I apologize if someone mentioned this in a previous post (Caliper slide) and I didn't catch it.
Resurrecting your old thread, I believe I an having the same issue. Wondering how you eventually separated the bracket from the caliper? There are limited leverage points to use tp pry it free without doing some damage. Thanks in advance!

Jim

Top Bottom