Brake Pad Issue

Well, that was interesting, first ride on new to me 98 ST1100 and coming up on stopped traffic
on the interstate I grabbed a handfull of sponge instead of a front brake lever. Made a quick move
and took the off ramp, slowed using the rear brake as the front felt like mush, pulled into a parking
lot and gave the lever a few pulls and it came back to a firm lever. Continued on my trip got back to
the house and pulled the caliper figuring on finding a stuck piston but surprise instead I had lost all
the pad material off of one of the pads. Lucky that my trip back home only had just a couple of
easy stops so no rotor damage.

Question is losing pad material common on these bikes

OP
OP
Standard model, pads did not have OEM numbers, up until this happened I was enjoying my new to me ride, this is only a quick setback
may take the time tomorrow to completly strip her bodywork off and go over everything. I already did an oil change but ordered a full set of OEM pads today and will change and flush the systems at the same time.

Bike
2006 ST
Standard model, pads did not have OEM numbers, up until this happened I was enjoying my new to me ride, this is only a quick setback
may take the time tomorrow to completly strip her bodywork off and go over everything. I already did an oil change but ordered a full set of OEM pads today and will change and flush the systems at the same time.
You probably know, but make sure you clean up the pistons before pushing them back in, I use solvent and small narrow brass brushes, the rear if similar to the 13 takes time.
I run OEM pads too.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I recommend you use brake fluid to clean the pistons. I'm unaware of any solvents that won't cause damage to the rubber seals on the brake calipers. Brake fluid cleans them well with a stiff tooth brush and is friendly to the seals.

OP
OP
I have always used brake fluid to clean pistons and seal as it just seemed to make good sense from a compatibility standpoint

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I had lost all the pad material off of one of the pads...
OUCH! :scared2:
Never experienced such with OEM pads, and I'd worn some down quite badly...

Shows how hazardous the urge to save a few buck could result...
Unthinkable if you'd encountered that in a "...I totally didn't see you..." situation...

OP
OP
I may take you up on those when I get back if mine have not come in by then. I am off to Houston and the Hell that is Beaumont in the morning for work will not have a chance to touch the bike for a few days so I should be ok for now, but the offer is greatly appreciated.

It can sit and keep the ZRX company that I will not get time to ride for a few days either this work deal sure impends on a guys leisure time

Top Bottom