Left Front Caliper Slider Pins

Hi all. I've been giving my brakes a service, check, clean and lube. The brakes on the ST are single sided piston type and for efficient working the caliper body and caliper bracket need to slide freely. The back brake and right front are easy to separate the two parts and grease the pins but how do you lube the left front brake slider pins. I cannot see how the front left separates due to the plumbing. Is there a trick without disturbing the hydraulic lines.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
[-]Pre-2008 bikes have a small plastic dust cap on the outboard side that covers the socket head on the pin. The pins on 2008-and-later bikes have a regular hex head that I believe is uncovered.

There's no need to split the calipers for anything other than a rebuild. There should also be no need to lube the pins; if the pads are binding, look elsewhere for the reason.[/-]

Scratch that. Wrong pins. See below.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mark,

I think he's referring to the pins the entire caliper slides on, not the pad retaining pins.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Ah, I think you're right. Misread that one on several levels. More coffee, please. :coffee1:

If I remember correctly, the left caliper shouldn't be any different than the others: remove the joint and pivot bolts that hold the SMC to the fork tube, remove the whole thing from the wheel, slide the caliper off the bracket and remove the pin boots.

--Mark

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That is my recollection, the caliper slides off the pins after removing the clevis pin bolt and the pivot bolt (in that order).

Last edited:
OP
OP
That is my recollection, the caliper slides off the pins after removing the clevis pin bolt and the pivot bolt (in that order).
This gets the caliper and bracket with secondary slave off the bike. The problem is the caliper has two hydraulic hoses attached, the lower one going to the back of the secondary brake slave which is attached to the bracket. This very short hose stops the two parts coming apart. Its all back together now but I need to replace tyres shortly so will have another look then.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Is there something going on with the brakes that makes you think the pins are in need of lubrication? They're pretty well booted, and even with the UK's patented brand of road crud shouldn't be getting in there.

I ask because it's not a maintenance item and my ST's 11-year-old calipers still slide along just fine on the grease that came from the factory.

--Mark

OP
OP
Is there something going on with the brakes that makes you think the pins are in need of lubrication? They're pretty well booted, and even with the UK's patented brand of road crud shouldn't be getting in there.

I ask because it's not a maintenance item and my ST's 11-year-old calipers still slide along just fine on the grease that came from the factory.

--Mark
Nothing wrong with the brakes. The bike is new to me and its just me taking it apart and learning more about the ST. I tend to go for preventive maintenance and try to prevent problems before they happen. The bike is 4 years old and I'm just going through it to see whats been missed by previous owners.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This gets the caliper and bracket with secondary slave off the bike. The problem is the caliper has two hydraulic hoses attached, the lower one going to the back of the secondary brake slave which is attached to the bracket. This very short hose stops the two parts coming apart. Its all back together now but I need to replace tyres shortly so will have another look then.
I've serviced those pins a couple of times in the nine years I've owned my 2005 and I never split the calipers. However it has been at least two years so I can't recall exactly how they slide off but I do know I've never cracked the hoses or fittings off the calipers to do it.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The bike is 4 years old and I'm just going through it to see whats been missed by previous owners.
Lubing the pins isn't a regular maintenance item and isn't something that comes up as something people had to keep the bike performing properly. I'm an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it kind of guy, and if you're going to have to open the system to get the caliper off the bracket, I'd just as soon leave it alone.

--Mark

OP
OP
Well Mark I agree that if the only way is to take the hydraulic pipe off then I will leave well alone. I'm not disturbing any hydraulic hose that is not leaking to grease something that probably is fine.

OP
OP
Yup thats why I lube the pins before and after winter. Here in the UK they put salt down on the roads when the temp drops and it kills bikes. I use ACF50 Block Grease. It prevents corrosion and is safe on rubber. The manual says silicone grease. Red rubber grease is fine too. I personally avoid copper base grease.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You DO NOT need to remove any lines or fittings to separate the left front caliper housing.
It is easier with the front wheel removed...you can gently turn and twist the unit enough the slide the Caliper off the bracket, clean and lube the pins and then reassemble.
Igofar

You say I am addicted to brake fluid.....but I can stop anytime I want to

OP
OP
You DO NOT need to remove any lines or fittings to separate the left front caliper housing.
It is easier with the front wheel removed...you can gently turn and twist the unit enough the slide the Caliper off the bracket, clean and lube the pins and then reassemble.
Igofar

You say I am addicted to brake fluid.....but I can stop anytime I want to
Need new tyres shortly so when I have the wheel off will have another look. Many thanks for your input. Cheers.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Resurrection! I'm currently doing my 4th front brake pad change at 72k mi (have done rear 7 times) and would really like to clean and lube the left caliper slider bolts since I've let it go in the past, and the bike is over a decade old now... Any update to the process without having to pull brake lines? Igofar says it should be possible to separate the halves, but pretty sure I'll split the short line if I try too hard!

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are three bolts that hold the two halves of the calipers together. Take those out and you'll have direct access to the caliper pistons. Use your brake lever to push out the outside pistons...just a little so you can clean them properly, and you'll be able to do the same with the rear brake, causing the center to come out, a little. Don't over do that, or you will be needing a new set of seals....

To clean them, use an old toothbrush and a little brake fluid. does wonders! :)

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
To clean them, use an old toothbrush and a little brake fluid.
I have used a flat shoelace soaked in brake fluid to clean the outside of the pistons (Larry's suggestion) - this works very well and gets into areas that can be difficult to reach with the toothbrush.

Michael

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used a flat shoelace soaked in brake fluid to clean the outside of the pistons (Larry's suggestion) - this works very well and gets into areas that can be difficult to reach with the toothbrush.

Michael

With the calipers opened like a clam shell, things are much easier to get to... I don't think Larry usually separates the calipers when doing brake jobs... :think1:

Top Bottom