New Old Stock?

STOC #
There is a dealer who has a brand new 2009 ST1300 for sale. Any particular issues for a new bike that is 6 years old? Should one replace the tires? Old gas and oil sitting in the tank and reservoir?

Am I overthinking?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
If the dealer wants to sell it...have them change the fluids for you. Otherwise Ride baby Ride...

T

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
There is a dealer who has a brand new 2009 ST1300 for sale. Any particular issues for a new bike that is 6 years old? Should one replace the tires? Old gas and oil sitting in the tank and reservoir?

Am I overthinking?
The biggest issue to me would be does it have ABS? If not, I would pass it up, but that is just my prejudice.
Either replace, or have the dealer replace, every drop of every fluid, except shock and fork oil. IMHO in order of importance:

Fuel
Brake
Clutch
Engine oil
Coolant
Rear drive

Replace the stock tires. They are too old. New models are better anyway.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
The biggest issue to me would be does it have ABS? If not, I would pass it up, but that is just my prejudice.
Either replace, or have the dealer replace, every drop of every fluid, except shock and fork oil. IMHO in order of importance:

Fuel
Brake
Clutch
Engine oil
Coolant
Rear drive

Replace the stock tires. They are too old. New models are better anyway.
+1 on all the above. Key for me would be the price. New or otherwise, it is still a 2009 and it has depreciated. I'd suggest scouring the usual websites - ebay, bikes for sale here, craigslist, etc. as well as the kelly blue books and mcn's bike value list for used prices of similar bikes (of course a used bike will have miles on it), but you get the idea. If he has had it since '09, I would think he has lost money on his investment, unless he found it someplace and got it for a song. Either way, compare this to a new 2012 - from reading this website I get the feeling that there are still a few of those out there.

Oh, and +1 on ABS for me

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Good list, I'd have them replace the battery also.........good luck on your purchase.....pretty color.......ff

OP
OP
CarolinaDoc
STOC #
Thanks for the replies. I'm not all that worried, but some of you at least have some similar thoughts. The "new" red color would be cool.

onibaba

sovereign
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
?

Am I overthinking?
I would definitely be checking into the age of the tires more than anything else.

Good tread is all fine and good. But even with good tread unused tires can be prone to failure...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup, Tires and Fluids.. just not sure how much a typical dealer is willing to put into a bike to sell... some would just as soon wait vs service it but you might get a dealer that is motivated and goes the extra mile.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I bought a used bike with great 6 year oldtires within 1000 miles the front were worn out and blistered (Dunlop Road Smarts).
Checkto see if the NOS bike has
Dunlops on itas the Dunlops of the 2008-2009 timeframe were recalled?

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I'd definitely replace the tires. The wife had a low speed blow out on her truck and while the tires looked really good, one of them shredded. After we got to thinking about it, they were seven years old and didn't have a whole lot of miles on them. Rubber will dry rot.

Top Bottom