FI light and Speedometer Issue

dalbrecht

ColoradoManDan
Bike
2008 ST1300
Looking for direction as I'm having some electrical issues with my 08 ST1300; Filled the bike up and a mile down the road my FI light appeared. Almost immediately after, my speedometer dropped to 0 while I was going ~ 40mph. I had another 5 miles to ride and during that time, the speedometer would occassionally "jump" then back to 0. The FI light stayed on. Afdter work, got on the bike, started it and no FI light. Speedometer worked for about two miles then down to 0. The FI light also came on. The bike starts fine and seems to run ok. I know how voltage sensitive electronics are so I charged the battery with a battery tender. Didn't solve the problem. I did notice that my clock reset?

On a (I believe) unrelated issue: Last summer I noticed that my fuel level indicator was giving false reading in that it would indicate incorrect fuel levels in the tank. Mileage and average mileage seem to be correct. This wasn't a big deal so let it slide but since I'll get making some repairs thought I take care of it.

I've checked the forum and saw references to the FI light but nothing that included the speedometer issue which I have to believe is somehow connected.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as this is my daily commuter to work.
Dan

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I did notice that my clock reset?
That means the system voltage fell below what it takes to maintain the time. Before you do anything else, load test the battery by putting a voltmeter on it and cranking the starter. If the reading falls below 10, the battery has had it. Failing batteries can cause all sorts of weird problems and charging them with an external charger doesn't always make the behave as if they're healthy.

If the battery tests okay, pull the trouble codes from the ECM and let us know what you find.

--Mark

OP
OP

dalbrecht

ColoradoManDan
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks Everyone! I've done further investigation and suspect the VSS to be the culprit. I will however do a load test first (that would sure be an easier fix), and Share my findings.
Keep the rubber side down!

OP
OP

dalbrecht

ColoradoManDan
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks for the recommendation. In neutral, side stand down, FI blinks twice, stops, the continuing the same pattern. I picked up a shop manual but haven't had a chance to reference it. Will post my finding.
Thx! Nice group of folks on this forum.

Top Bottom