Unhappy with my ST1100

Bike
1993 ST 1100
Wasn't sure where to post this so here I am.

I am just not a happy camper anymore with my 93 ST due to simple little things that just seem to pop up at the wrong time and require a trip to the service dept.

I currently am experiencing a leak under the front of the engine which looks like a thin brown fluid of some sort. At 1st I thought it was oil and the drain plug was covered and dripping but then I noticed that it seems too viscous for oil. Today I found when I had it on the lift and running, the leak seemed to be coming from the timing hole cover. As it dripped on my lift table and I shined a light on it, it appeared to be coolant. Just 4 years ago I replaced every bit of rubber under the carbs that the coolant flows through. I did this because one of the pieces was leaking and I figured why not replace it all as it was aging and I was already in there.

The timing hole cover appears to be plastic and as I tried to remove the two bolts, one of them seems to be stripped and did not come out for me. It also appears that the plastic cover is cracked on the bottom of the bolt.

So I am ready to call the service dept. and set up an appt. to have it looked at.

As much as I have liked this bike, it is times like this when I wish it was gone. I hate taking it in to the dealership but I just do not have the patience required to work on it. It is not nearly as simple to maintain as the old in line 4 cylinder bikes that I have quite a bit of experience with.

So there you have it. Thanks for letting me vent.
Ride safely guys and gals.

Larry

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
No offense is intended in the following just an observation. I have had this conversation with many of my friends. I help many of them work on their vehicles as I am pretty handy when it comes to anything mechanical (a lot of tools helps).

It seems to me that if an owner of anything mechanical gets frustrated at the breakdowns they have three options. 1. Become an expert at repair and maintenance of said object (you said that you are unwilling/unable). 2. Pony up the dough for someone else who has the knowledge to repair as things fail. (all things no matter how "reliable" eventually need maintenance) 23 years on the frame, motor and chassis regardless of miles is going to start failing small rubber parts, seals. 3. Keep themselves in new enough machines that it is covered by factory warranty WHEN it does fail.

Everyone has to weigh their circumstances and decide for themselves which of the three choices is best. For me the cost of the newer machine or the maintenance costs associated with having someone else do work I am perfectly capable of doing is much more frustrating than doing the work myself. ENTROPY SUCKS!! I feel your pain.

Bike
Vstrom 650
It doesn't bother me that my ST is a bit old, 14 years now,but it's only turned 50k miles so it's just run in in ST terms:)
but I'm thinking of doing a long European trip sometime,suppose I'd need to give her a good check over before that, the new Africa twin is catching my interest though,looking forward to seeing it and the ride reports.
I do what maintainance I can on the ST,the stuff I'm not confident doing I get a mechanic mate to do.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
I currently am experiencing a leak under the front of the engine which looks like a thin brown fluid of some sort. At 1st I thought it was oil and the drain plug was covered and dripping but then I noticed that it seems too viscous for oil. Today I found when I had it on the lift and running, the leak seemed to be coming from the timing hole cover. As it dripped on my lift table and I shined a light on it, it appeared to be coolant. Just 4 years ago I replaced every bit of rubber under the carbs that the coolant flows through. I did this because one of the pieces was leaking and I figured why not replace it all as it was aging and I was already in there.

The timing hole cover appears to be plastic and as I tried to remove the two bolts, one of them seems to be stripped and did not come out for me. It also appears that the plastic cover is cracked on the bottom of the bolt.
Larry

I absolutely agree that these bikes are a lot more fun to ride than to work on. I've thought several times that it would be really great if the plastic was hinged somehow for easier/quicker access. Kind of like having to remove a fender on your car to change the airfilter. Whole bunch more steps just to find out what's wrong, and not knowing is half the pain..

Wondering about "brown coolant". In the interests of adding to the body of knowledge, please let us know what you find. Hopefully, it won't be something serious or expensive and you'll fall in love again when you get it back on the road.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Sounds to me like a leaking water pump. A fairly involved repair (runs off of the timing belt) and a somewhat pricey part. And if you're in there, you may as well replace the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Might be "the straw that broke the camel's back"...

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I have had this conversation with many of my friends. I help many of them work on their vehicles as I am pretty handy when it comes to anything mechanical (a lot of tools helps).

It seems to me that if an owner of anything mechanical gets frustrated at the breakdowns they have three options. 1. Become an expert at repair and maintenance of said object (you said that you are unwilling/unable). 2. Pony up the dough for someone else who has the knowledge to repair as things fail. (all things no matter how "reliable" eventually need maintenance) 23 years on the frame, motor and chassis regardless of miles is going to start failing small rubber parts, seals.

Too bad you are not closer, I would let you work on it.
Yea, my patience wears thin when having to remove all that plastic just to get to whatever problem I have to chase. This is why I love the old 78-83 Suzukis that I have had in the past and still have a 79 GS 1000. Very straightforward and easy to work on. There is absolutely no problem I can't work through on the Suzuki. This ST just frustrates me so it will be going into the dealership for repairs.

Thanks for your input and no offense was taken.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I absolutely agree that these bikes are a lot more fun to ride than to work on. I've thought several times that it would be really great if the plastic was hinged somehow for easier/quicker access. Kind of like having to remove a fender on your car to change the airfilter. Whole bunch more steps just to find out what's wrong, and not knowing is half the pain..

Wondering about "brown coolant". In the interests of adding to the body of knowledge, please let us know what you find. Hopefully, it won't be something serious or expensive and you'll fall in love again when you get it back on the road.
My exact thoughts also. Removing and re-installing the plastic isn't difficult, just time consuming.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I suspect brown coolant is either REALLY old coolant, or coolant mixed with a little oil and road grime.
I agree with this assessment. The coolant was changed when I replaced all the rubber under the carbs I guess back in 2012. And between 2012 and now, it hasn't had that much riding on it, only about 8,000 miles. This is because I was busy a lot and could not ride.
The liquid looked like oil but when I was able to collect some of it and shine a light on it, then it looked like coolant. I just can't find any place it is leaking except for the timing hole cover.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I can understand your frustration, I've handled most of the small stuff myself, and what I can't do or don't have the tools to do I take it to the shop. To keep costs down I usually take the tupperware off. That saves me 1-2 hours of shop time which tends to make the repair more reasonable in price.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
Sounds to me like a leaking water pump. A fairly involved repair (runs off of the timing belt) and a somewhat pricey part. And if you're in there, you may as well replace the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Might be "the straw that broke the camel's back"...
You might be right on target with this diagnosis. I did the timing belt and tensioner replacement at 92,000 miles. It has 114,000 on it now.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
Thanks for all of your opinions and suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

Larry

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I checked the coolant reservoir tank this morning and see it is empty. Definitely see coolant on the lift table as well.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
It's good that you have a backup bike to use when your ST is down for repairs. It takes a lot of the pain out of it if you're not without a bike. This way you can take your time, do it right and not feel pressured. I was glad I had mine last year when I bought my ST and had to go through the cooling system. I've since sold my backup (02 Nighthawk 750 - simple to work on), but I may have to get another one.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
This reminds me of a post I made some years back titled "why people ride cruisers" and it was a picture of all the tupperware off my ST1100 stacked up as high as my bare bones Harley Springer Softail. I love my ST for riding, no competition there, but for working on... not so much! Well worth the inconvenience though since I generally only have to remove the plastic like that once a year for it's annual big maintenance.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
It's good that you have a backup bike to use when your ST is down for repairs. It takes a lot of the pain out of it if you're not without a bike. This way you can take your time, do it right and not feel pressured. I was glad I had mine last year when I bought my ST and had to go through the cooling system. I've since sold my backup (02 Nighthawk 750 - simple to work on), but I may have to get another one.
Unfortunately, I have the carbs off of my back up bike right now for some re-jetting purposes and decided I would paint them and pretty them up a little. That's what I get for trying to improve something that could have waited until winter to do.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
So I took the ST into the dealership today and they pressurized the system and came back with the conclusion that the water pump was leaking.

Just how hard is it to change this thing? They quoted me a price of just over $1,000 to get it back on the road with $421 for a pump. The rest was for labor (5 hrs.), new o-ring, coolant and whatever else is necessary. And this was with all the Tupperware removed by me before they even got the bike.

Does this sound too high to anyone besides me? Frustrated but what can I do?

Any input will be appreciated.

Larry

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
If you have the Tupperware off and you have done the timing belt recently, then you should have a good idea what to do. Water pump runs off of timing belt. Drain coolant, remove covers, r&r pump and reassemble. 5 hours seems like a long time for a pro to do this if plastics are off.

Last edited:

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Here's my thoughts:

For $1000, I'd be seriously tempted to try this job myself. I hate doing major repairs on bikes, but a grand is pretty near my tipping point..

I'd probably start by getting some feedback from some of the members with high mileage bikes to get a feel for how often these pumps go out; if they are pretty reliable, I might chance a used one like the above. I know it's pretty much standard procedure on most Honda autos, as well as many other makes, to do the water pump every time you do the timing belt because it's only a few bolts more and it's cheap insurance. Agreed, $421 is not cheap. But, as Sirepair recommended earlier I'd certainly want to replace the belt/tensioner. If the $1000 includes a new water pump, timing belt, and tensioner, it may be worth it. I just dropped about 500 bucks on a carb synch/valve adjustment, which is basically maintenance; not even repairs. I don't think you mentioned how many miles on your bike, has the belt ever been changed?

You might find this thread helpful in making your decision:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?37927-miles-on-timing-belt.

Apparently there have been some timing belt failures caused by bad tensioners/water pumps that weren't replaced when the belt was first changed and the second belt fails before its time.

I've always thought timing belts, instead of chains, were a stupid idea anyway. Great solution to a problem nobody had...

I think there are probably some YouTube videos on the fine art of timing belt/water pump changing, which I would certainly watch.

If you're really not wanting to tackle this job yourself, for whatever reason, then it seems like you don't have a lot of options other than going to an independent bike shop rather than a dealer, and at least getting a second opinion. Or you could keep it as a parts bike, either for yourself or to sell the parts, all of which seem to be ridiculously highly priced new, rather than write it off as a total loss.

Bottom line : The bike is pretty much useless as it is and if it's in good shape otherwise it could be good for another couple hundred thousand miles if you fix it.
You've probably spent more money on dumber things. I know I have. Let us know what you decide

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Just do it Yourself. You'll save at least $500, and almost all the steps are just like doing the Timing Belt. It should go much easier because of this.
I did my T.B. & W.P. during two seperate winters between 100k and 120K miles, and the tensioner and pulleys looked good, so were never replaced. Think my pump, at the time, was about $200 - 220, from Western Honda.

Top Bottom