Unhappy with my ST1100

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
That's one reason why I finally put the other bike back together. Now I can deal with (procrastinate) the water pump (and alternator)
at my leisure, as the 99 is runnin' great.
Oh yeah, I forgot you have two bikes, I was thinking you replaced the pump prior to the trip. You need a trailer so you can ride one and haul the other. Then if something breaks on the one you're riding you just swap it for the one on the trailer and continue riding. Then if that one fails you have a parts bike on the trailer to utilize. Talk about worry free touring.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
My 1991 ST is my dream bike I love it, quirks and all.... and it looks cool in my garage
next to my other bikes, and even cooler when I ride it
Dave

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
You could always take off all the tupperwear and make it into a naked bike. It's been done more than once with decent results.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
You could always take off all the tupperwear and make it into a naked bike. It's been done more than once with decent results.
I would like to see some examples of these. Sounds good but when I see mine naked I cannot imagine what a person could do to make it look good.

links?? anybody?

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

Don, if Larry doesn't have the time or inclination to fix a water pump, a naked project is well beyond. Besides, the only ones I've seen done were on crash damaged bikes where there wasn't much choice.
I for one would hate to see it done to a perfectly intact ST. It kind of reminds me of taking FJ1200 engines and putting them in midgets, or Merlin aircraft engines into hydroplanes. Yeah, it can be done but it ain't right...

Larry, a 22 year old bike is going to have issues. You can just about count on something. Yes, air cooled bikes don't have the issues of water cooled bikes, but I'd never go back to my FJ1200 after my ST1300. Just enjoy your ST after having it repaired, and if you stop enjoying it then maybe it's time to move it to someone who will. It's not like you're married to it. :D

BTW, I think you mentioned you had the carbs off. Did you get a look at those pot metal coolant elbows in the Vee? They've been know to corrode and leak, and it would have been a good time to address them if they are showing signs.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
Don, if Larry doesn't have the time or inclination to fix a water pump, a naked project is well beyond. Besides, the only ones I've seen done were on crash damaged bikes where there wasn't much choice.
I for one would hate to see it done to a perfectly intact ST. It kind of reminds me of taking FJ1200 engines and putting them in midgets, or Merlin aircraft engines into hydroplanes. Yeah, it can be done but it ain't right...

Larry, a 22 year old bike is going to have issues. You can just about count on something. Yes, air cooled bikes don't have the issues of water cooled bikes, but I'd never go back to my FJ1200 after my ST1300. Just enjoy your ST after having it repaired, and if you stop enjoying it then maybe it's time to move it to someone who will. It's not like you're married to it. :D

BTW, I think you mentioned you had the carbs off. Did you get a look at those pot metal coolant elbows in the Vee? They've been know to corrode and leak, and it would have been a good time to address them if they are showing signs.

Yes I did those a while ago. It developed a serious leak then and when I had the carbs off, I replaced everything in the valley under the carbs. All rubber and O-rings. Turned out to be one of the O-rings was causing the leak.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
That's a great looking XS 11 there. I had the XS750 Special before doing a run in with a deer. Then I traded it for a Suzuki GS850 which I rode about 10 years until I found the ST1100.

All good running bikes.

Larry

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100
I don't think naked ST11's look too good either but Google has several decent images.
How right you are. The naked ST is not a very attractive look. Mine was naked before and after it's trip to the shop and I could not see any way for that look to be appealing.

On a positive note, as was noted earlier, it is usually just once every season that you even have to mess with the removal and re-install of the Tupperware. I may not like it all that much but as with anything else, this too shall pass.

Ride safely guys and gals.

Larry

Top Bottom