ST1300 Electrical Troubles

Bike
04 St1300
I have a 2004 St1300 which i had a alternator failure that the voltage went high and fried the battery and headlights. The fuse that goes to the FI and coil, pump keeps blowing which is a 20 amp fuse. I have checked and rep;laced the fuel pump, and it keeps blowing the fuse. I checked the coils and also disoonnected the coils and it still blows the fuse. With that i feel the FI is bad or maybe the bank angel sensor is shorted. I need a couple of things, first where is the FI located at and the sensor to check? If anyone can shed some light on this issue would be so helpful.
Thanks

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
(I moved this to a new thread since it's a different problem.)

FI stands for fuel injection. That's the computer that runs the engine, also known as the engine control module (ECM), and everything behind it.

The first thing to do is disconnect everything on the affected fuse: coil primaries, fuel pump, main stop relay and ECM. The ECM is a flat, rectangular module with two connectors on it in the tail behind the passenger seat held in place by a thick rubber retainer. ABS bikes will have two modules, the other being the ABS computer and having three connectors. There's no need to disconnect that unless you need to get it out of the way.

Once everything's disconnected, turn off the ignition and engine stop switch. Turn the ignition switch on. Turn the engine stop switch to on. Turn both switches off. (This is "the exercise" I'll refer to below). If the fuse blows when you turn either switch on, you have a fault in the part of the wiring harness that supplies everything else.

Then start reconnecting things one at a time, repeating the exercise and checking the fuse after each new connection. Do them in this order:

• Left coil primary supply wire (Black/White)
  • Right coil primary supply wire (Black/White)
  • ECM
  • Fuel pump
  • Left coil primary drain wire (Yellow/Blue)
  • Right coil primary drain wire (Blue/Yellow)

Whichever of the reconnections blows the fuse will help narrow it down to a faulty component or section of the wiring harness.

The bank angle sensor is on a different circuit and would be blowing the C fuse (D on an ABS bike) if the fault were there.

HTH.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
04 St1300
Ok, i was trouble shooting this issue by disconnecting things to remove the short on the fuse when the key switch is set to on. I disconnected ECM and still the fuse blew, i also disconnected the fuel pump, coils and every relay i could locate. I did find one relay on the left side near fuse box that i could get the short off the circuit. I exchanged it with a like one and was not the relay. What i did find was the big wide connecter on left side of bike near the upper frame that i could get the short off the circuit. It is the wide connecter that slips into the plastic body pocket. I traced the cable out and the harness runs to the dash. I found two relays and a connecter that goes to the dash portion and disconnected them and short is still there. They are two more things up on the front of the bike i have not disconnected, one the windscreen and the other is a small box at the front under the screen motor which i hope to get back on later today to trouble shoot. The ECM at the back of the bike i could see 2 connectors at the bottom and the strap that holds the ECM is tough to undo so i didnt pull the ECM out just unplugged the 2 connectors, are they 3?
Thanks

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
[-]What you're describing sounds more like a short in the windscreen system than fuel delivery.

Are you sure the fuse that's blowing isn't the windscreen fuse (fuse K on ABS bikes) rather than the FI/Coils/Pump fuse (fuse L)? Both fuses are 20A and in adjacent slots in the fuse box.[/-]

Edit: If the connector you're talking about is the one I think it is, the bank angle sensor is on there, but that's on a different circuit (fuse D). The windscreen relays and motor are, too.

Does the bike start and run?

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
04 St1300
I can disconnect the PGM-FI UNIT and the fuse want blow. So that test tells me that it is fried. Any recommendations on where to find a used one at? Ebay doesn't have any used ones on there this week.
Thanks

[-]What you're describing sounds more like a short in the windscreen system than fuel delivery.

Are you sure the fuse that's blowing isn't the windscreen fuse (fuse K on ABS bikes) rather than the FI/Coils/Pump fuse (fuse L)? Both fuses are 20A and in adjacent slots in the fuse box.[/-]

Edit: If the connector you're talking about is the one I think it is, the bank angle sensor is on there, but that's on a different circuit (fuse D). The windscreen relays and motor are, too.

Does the bike start and run?

--Mark

Top Bottom