Another option for the ST BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just pulled my rear wheel and although I haven't yet mounted this tire on the wheel, it doesn't even come close to fitting in there!
Are you sure it will squeeze down enough (about an inch) to fit in there when it's mounted?
I thought the same thing with the new GYTT. I had to grind about .030" off just at the swingarm casting centerline. I also loosen the 4 bolts in the "pumpkin" to let it slide outwards and a milk jug cut plastic section over all the inside of the pumpkin for sliding the tire across the pumpkin.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
The tire is in and mounted, but it rubs on the swingarm. I have free rotation for about 1/2 revolution, and then it binds pretty hard on the other 1/2 revolution.

Do I have an alignment problem of some kind that can be fixed? Otherwise, I guess this is coming off and I'll get another Hankook.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The tire is in and mounted, but it rubs on the swingarm. I have free rotation for about 1/2 revolution, and then it binds pretty hard on the other 1/2 revolution.

Do I have an alignment problem of some kind that can be fixed? Otherwise, I guess this is coming off and I'll get another Hankook.
I think each swing arm must be different thicknesses as some have rubbing issues and others don't. You could flatten out the area on the swing arm where it rubs like others have done.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Two questions -

How do I "flatten it out"?

Why does it only bind on 1/2 the rotation? Is there a way to align it better? (okay, that was 3 questions).

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Two questions -

How do I "flatten it out"?

Why does it only bind on 1/2 the rotation? Is there a way to align it better? (okay, that was 3 questions).
I would use a metal file or course sandpaper to flatten out the edge of the swing arm where it rubs. Not sure why it would rub only on the 1/2 rotation. There is no way to align it better that I know of.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
By the way, when I say it rubs, I mean it's very hard to turn the wheel by hand. The other half is free wheeling. I took it for a ride around the cul-de-sac and almost dumped it in a turn to come back to the garage.

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
By the way, when I say it rubs, I mean it's very hard to turn the wheel by hand. The other half is free wheeling. I took it for a ride around the cul-de-sac and almost dumped it in a turn to come back to the garage.
Tires are far less "perfect" than the metal parts on the bike. Tires will vary from tire-to-tire, so you probably have one that is not-so-perfect.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

What exactly , on the tire , hit the swingarm ? Hopefully the lettering that could be removed ? ( Also it almost sounds like the tire to wheel bead matchup was out of concentricity , cocking it sideways a little ? )

Last edited:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Well I saw lots of rain on my last 10000 mile trip and this tire works great in the rain. I have found 28PSI works great on this tire.
Mike
Report in on the subject.. I need to buy a new tire this winter, looking into this tire.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Still very happy with this tire the way it handles and the great wear or lack of wear so far. I think there is a difference of thickness on the swing arm's on the ST and there maybe a little difference in the thickness of the tires coming out of the mold and that is why some people have trouble with mounting different brands of tires on their bikes. I am happy with this tire so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
After 34,830 miles its time for a new rear tire. Was a Hankook V4 now to try a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. Most of the miles on the Hankook V4 were at 28 psi. gave a nice ride and had even wear. There was more left side wear than on the right. Gee i did not have to wait for cords to show! The bf goodrich was a press fit to get past the ABS sensor. No rubbing on my 06 ST1300.

20160325_112702x.jpg

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Now for the million dollar question.....

.....Would you put the BFG Comp 2 on again at your next tire change?

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Now for the million dollar question.....

.....Would you put the BFG Comp 2 on again at your next tire change?
Right now I would say yes unless I find something else new and give it a try. I like to try different tires and give them reviews for others.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Yes I would put it on again at my next tire change in two years from now unless there is something better or it is not available.. So far I have only about 1000 miles on this tire. I am running it at 28 psi like the Hankook V4. I can tell that the side walls are stiffer since it gives a firmer ride. I can feel the bumps a little more. The Hankook floated over rough roads like riding on polished concrete, super smooth or like floating on a cloud. I really liked that tire but it is no longer available.. I might try lowering it down to 24 psi to see if it makes it better. I am not having any rubbing issues with this tire or previous the Hankook.

Higher pressures are horrible (42 psi). You can tell that your tire is flat and the edge can be felt when you transition across parallel offset cracks between lanes on freeways and you feel every bump. Below 30 psi the "edge" effect disappears and you can not tell that you have a flat tire. Except when you hard accelerate or stop hard -- no slippage and shorter stops. The advantage of having 6 inches of rubber vs 2 inches of tread width on the road as well as lower pressure makes for a longer track. Not to mention how well it rides on gravel or soft dirt roads. Soft wide tires are better for my kind of riding.

My other bike is a CJ-7 with 4:56 gears, a detriot locker, 33x12 -15 tires at 12 psi...

Last edited:

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My ST has now joined the double darkside.

I replaced my Hankook with the aforementioned BFG Comp-2. (I have these on my Camry SE and really like them.)
Replaced Z-06 on front with BT-45 mounted contra-indicated.

Took for a 125 mile scrub in and prelim is I like them!

Will report back when more miles, if the rain will ever stop here in east Texas!

Bike
2006 ST1300
All right, I'm back in! Dark Side again. After running a Hankook I had a few motorcycle tires. Sick of getting 3-5k miles out of them.

Found this BF Goodrich used for $56 delivered! Still has those nubs on it like new. Hope I don't have to grind my swingarm.

Top Bottom