Which ST1100 headlight bulbs?

Bike
'06 ST1300
Some of you may not believe this but my bought new in 1992 ST1100 still has the original bulbs in the headlight housing. I know this because I would have remembered having to shell out $46.90 plus tax for 2 new ones from mother Honda. Now the question is what bulbs to install since the left one burnt out last week? I'm going to replace both bulbs at the same time since I've read it's a challenging operation requiring patience. I can get the HELLA HLA-H83140101 H4 12V 60/55W Halogen Bulbs overnight from Amazon for $5.78 a bulb but I'm not sure if they will work on this bike or how long they will last once installed or if they will have the same reflective properties as the stock bulbs. I've read several different posts with many replies on this subject including VFR owners and it seems there are about as many opinions on bulbs as there are on which oil to use. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATED POST HERE:
John O has already answered the questions about bulbs in the US model ST1100. Since I'm still running the original 28 amp alternator I'm going to stay with the OEM 45/45w bulbs even though they cost more. Due to eye problems (cataracts and lotsa floaters) I never ride after dark so bulb brightness isn't an issue for me. Thanks to everyone for the input on this subject.
John OoSTerhuis
06-28-2012, 05:33 PM
A couple of points using H-4 bulbs in a USA ST1100 --

The position of the filaments is important - straight in (not canted) and at the correct depth designed for the headlight module reflectors.

Snipping just the two lower tabs will result in a bulb canted up and lousy light projection.

Snipping all three tabs will result in the bulb sitting too far into the opening in the module: 3mm too far, I just measured mine as I replaced it with a Euro version today. Plus, the bulb can possibly rotate.

The base of the H-4/9003 bulb must be even with the bottom of the tab recesses in the headlight module, hence the nail trick or the more elegant thin shim solution.

N.B. - it's important that the base of the H-4 rests perfectly flat on the entire shim. One thing that's often missed when snipping the two lower tabs off is to finish the job by carefully flattening the remaining bulge at the base of the tab with a vice-grips or sum such. Failure to do so will result in the bulb being canted down.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I have 4 Hella 55/100 bulbs (2 NIP, 2 used) that you can have for the price of shipping. You will need to get the shims for them because they are the H4 base and I needed my shims for my HID's when I upgraded. These bulbs are nice because they are legal when on low beam but put out some nice light when on high beam. They are technically "off road only" but, I never had any issues with them. I say I have 4 but, I'd have to find the used ones... the new ones are in their original boxes on the shelf. I bought extras to get free shipping and to have them in case one burned out.

I think these are the ones I have...

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140141-Halogen-Bulb-Road/dp/B000COBLJI

Last edited:
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
I have 4 Hella 55/100 bulbs (2 NIP, 2 used) that you can have for the price of shipping. You will need to get the shims for them because they are the H4 base and I needed my shims for my HID's when I upgraded. These bulbs are nice because they are legal when on low beam but put out some nice light when on high beam. They are technically "off road only" but, I never had any issues with them. I say I have 4 but, I'd have to find the used ones... the new ones are in their original boxes on the shelf. I bought extras to get free shipping and to have them in case one burned out.

I think these are the ones I have...

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140141-Halogen-Bulb-Road/dp/B000COBLJI
Fred gets first dibs of course, but if he doesn't take you up on that I'd be happy to take those off your hands as I just had a bulb go out on me last week...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I just go down to the local auto parts and pick up some H4 50/55(? can't remember the wattage) and use the shims. You just have to cut off the two side tabs for the standard H4s to work.
I used Sylvania 55/60W H4 bulbs from Walmart and got my shims from Cyclemax (GL1500).
I'm going to have +2 on this: I go to Wally's World and buy H4 bulbs. I bought the shims so long ago I don't remember where I got them or what I paid.

Be careful when going 'large' on the wattage; I have read of melted reflectors...

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I run the Hella 55/100 h4 with the tabs cut off. Haven't melted reflectors yet, but don't spend long times on high beams. Got them at rallylights.com

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I run the Hella 55/100 h4 with the tabs cut off. Haven't melted reflectors yet, but don't spend long times on high beams. Got them at rallylights.com
there was a thread on either this site or ST-Riders where the author had done extensive testing on these bulbs on his ST1100 without any melting of wires or reflectors. When I say extensive, I mean he literally went through a bunch of these bulbs over many years! It was sound enough research for me.

Personally, I ran the high beams (along w/85w Piaa's but that's a testament to the alternator not the wiring/reflector)for a few hours straight on an IBA ride deep into the dark Georgia countryside a few years back... No smoke or melted plastic to be found!

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Ha! Just noticed you are down in KY - maybe I'll just ride down and pick them up. :) Keep me posted - I'm in no rush as I still need to purchase the shims...

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Can someone please post a link for the shims for an ST1100? Do these shim the bulb 'out' to eliminate interference?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'm having a problem finding the shims by themselves but I got mine off eBay. The term shim is somewhat misleading. What they do is provide the correct tabs required for a standard h4 bulb to securely go where the propriety honda bulb was meant to go. If you look at this picture, you'll see a shim placed on an h4 bulb.
If you look closely, you will see that the tabs are in different locations. You break off the two lower tabs off the h4 bulb and use the shim to support the bulb. The shims fit very snugly on the bulbs. You leave the top tab in place on the H4 since it is still in the correct place. This is only true for US headlights, if you can get your hands on a European one, they take standard h4 bulbs w/o shims.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
If you want to go the new headlight route instead of shims (also eliminates the DOT required Attenuator (sp) so you get a better spread of light) make sure you buy one from a country that drives on the Right side of the road. That way they are not going to be blinding oncoming drivers. The headlights point somewhat down and to the shoulder side of the road depending on what country they were built for.

OP
OP
Bike
'06 ST1300
Go ahead Slasher and get them. I haven't decided what to do on the bulbs. I may go with OEM bulbs since the originals have lasted 23 years without being changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom