Test Rode a Triumph Tiger Explorer

Bike
2003 ST1300
I had my Honda St1300 in for service at my Triumph Dealer yesterday and while I was there I asked the owner if it was possible to take a Tiger Explorer out for a test ride as it had peaked my interest a few weeks ago when I was in the store...

He tossed on a dealer plate for me and I had an hour to enjoy it. First thing I thought was holy crap this thing is light compared to my Rocket and My ST1300. Second thing was that drive-by-wire throttle is super sensitive, and has hardly any resistance in turning, so you have to be really careful how you add throttle!

Took it down the street to a roundabout area to do some turning practise and then I pointed it straight and hit the throttle... HOLY CRAP! This thing FLIES! I had no idea how much power that little 1200 Triple can put out but I am telling you it was just roaring like a tiger down the street, had to watch my speed...

My impressions really are that it is a cool fun bike, but my gripes about it were that the stock windscreen does almost nothing for wind protection, and the other thing was the cruise control featre... I dont know who at Triumph decided on the placement or the button sizes but to adjust or set your speed requires you moving your hand slightly off the throttle... once you hit the "Set" button the bike just jerks into speed, slightly because you can't keep your hand on the throttle tightly while pressing the button... so it lurks forwrad or jerks when it slows down when you adjust your speed by 1kmh

Last thing was I felt that the handlebars could use some adjustment, possibly with a riser to get the bars a little closer to you...

Other then that, wow.. what a cool looking bike, cool sounding bike and over all really neat with all the gadgets it has, ABS, Traction control and Cruise control... What kind of dissapointed me a litle was the smaller gas tank, I think its only 22 litres... while the GS has a 33 liter tank, I do like to go a long time with out filling up.. which is why i like my ST1300, 30 litre tank can get 500KMs + on it in one go.

The last thing was the price tag... $18,700 + Taxes (In Canadian) = More then $21,000 on the road... NO THANKS!!

But if you have the money, I think it would be a fun (3rd) bike to have in the garage.. because as you know, you need a Sport Bike, a Cruiser and probably an adventure type of bike.

Next up I want to try ride a Triumph Scrambler....

Attachments

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I've had my Explorer for just over a year, and 10,000 miles. In a nutshell, it's simply the best motorcycle I've ever owned. I like the engine so much that I just added a Trophy SE to the garage also. Yes, the Explorer flicks left to right very quickly, and it can flat boogie!!

You must have ridden a 2012--2014 model. The 2015's have an extended Cruise Control button, which is much easier to use (I retro-fitted one onto my 2013 Explorer---very quick fix.) The fly-by-wire throttle is very light. Many of us have added dampening grease (think of the smooth function of an expensive stereo knob) to the inside of the handlebar, effectively giving more resistance to the throttle. It helped mine very much. Note: I just had the Explorer serviced, and there was a note that there is an ECU update. I'm guessing the update will further help the throttle, as my 2015 Trophy has no such throttle issues---simply sublime.

It's too bad they're so expensive in Canada. I got mine for a bargain (leftover 2013) here in the US, and it even came with free panniers, heated seat, and heated grips.

Even while flogging my Explorer at ahem, velocities well above the posted speed limit, I get 40mpg. If I slow down to enjoy the sights and smell the flowers, I get 50-55mpg. The bike gets much better mileage than my ST ever did.

One of the best features? Removing the rear wheel takes about 30 seconds---five lug nuts, and the wheel is off.

Now don't get me started on my 2015 ST1300...er, I mean Triumph Trophy SE... :wink:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Next time you might demo the 1200's little brother. The Tiger 800 is for some of us a 'just right' sized bike. It's about 100 lbs lighter than the 1200 and offers similar performance numbers and even more nimble road manners. If it's a 2015 model it has the electronic rider aids becoming so popular like cruise control, different levels of ABS and traction control, and different engine maps.

I've had my 800 half a year and 11,000 miles. A Madstad windshield, Sargent seat change and risers have made it quite comfortable for all day riding. I've done a 1000 mile day on it easily and several 400-600 mile days. The weather protection of adventure bikes pales in comparison to sport tourers but in the right conditions it eats miles like the best of them while offering the ability to explore off road if so desired.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Next time you might demo the 1200's little brother. The Tiger 800 is for some of us a 'just right' sized bike. It's about 100 lbs lighter than the 1200 and offers similar performance numbers and even more nimble road manners.
I'll second that. I remember when the Explorer came out I was considering trading my Tiger 800. Then I rode one. My first impression was "holy crap this thing is" heavy. All relative I guess. I will agree it's a nice bike and fast but to me the 800 is just super fun to ride and not slow. Several on the Tiger 800 forum traded and then traded back. Next service try the 800 just for fun.

OP
OP
Ricochet
Bike
2003 ST1300
I'll second that. I remember when the Explorer came out I was considering trading my Tiger 800. Then I rode one. My first impression was "holy crap this thing is" heavy. All relative I guess. I will agree it's a nice bike and fast but to me the 800 is just super fun to ride and not slow. Several on the Tiger 800 forum traded and then traded back. Next service try the 800 just for fun.
It absolutely is relative. My other bike is a Triumph Rocket III, and getting on the Explorer 1200 it felt like a bicycle to me. Even the biggest Harleys are miniscule compared to the Rocket.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I looked at the Explorer and Tiger and ended up buying the Tiger.

Top Bottom