Too Much Oil?

Bike
03 ST1300
Just picked up my 30 ST13 from an oil change. On the way out of the parking lot - at idle - I noticed the slightest vibration on the handle bars.

When I got home I looked at the sight glass and it's filled up past the top of the glass...too much oil??

IMG_0350.JPG

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Probably. Put the bike on the center stand and let it sit for about ten minutes after you park it. If it's not between the lines on the sight glass, there's too much in it.

Topping off the oil while the bike is on the sidestand will cause this.

--Mark

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Topping off the oil while the bike is on the sidestand will cause this.
This is common with mechanics working on the clock. They drain the oil, and then put back in the factory specified amount of new oil without bothering to use the sight glass/dipstick to see if the drained amount equaled the factory specified fill amount. Apparently that wastes enough of their valuable time that they don't want to be bothered doing it. Don't have a problem with my ST because I change my own oil on that, but Its been a constant battle for me with my cars. If I don't have the tech write "check level on dipstick" in big letters on the work order, they always overfill it.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Been discussed here Many times. Agree - Most shops don't take the time, & Overfill.
Just do it Urself & put in 1 Gal. Exact., - Then U will have NO problems.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Sight glasses gotta be the most unreliable indicator unless you stick to checking it in the same spot after warming it up and waiting exactly the same time. Although cause of concern, one would have to grossly overfill to do any damage....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Although cause of concern, one would have to grossly overfill to do any damage....
This is something I've wondered about, just how critical is the fill level, probably varies from vehicle to vehicle. One theory is it reduces crankcase air volume, which in theory could raise the pressure caused by cylinder blowby, and possibly stress gasket seals. I had a BMW that was continually overfilled by the dealer, the first vehicle I owned that I didn't change my own oil, and that was the only car I owned that had leaky valve cover gaskets, maybe just coincidence. The crankcase is vented, but perhaps its venting capacity is limited, don't know. If you really overfill a lot, then you get crankshaft foaming action, which isn't good either.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You also have to worry about the oil being whipped into a froth if there's enough to reach the crankshaft as it reaches the bottom of its rotation.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sight glasses gotta be the most unreliable indicator unless you stick to checking it in the same spot after warming it up and waiting exactly the same time. Although cause of concern, one would have to grossly overfill to do any damage....
I don't understand. How is a sight glass any different than a dipstick? Seems to me the level in the oil pan/crank case is going to change with the oil's temp and how long you allow oil to drain down from the valve cover. The variance will be seen by both a sight glass and a dip stick - and the stick also gives you the same range from high to low that a sight glass with two lines on it has. I would think that both give you the same level of accuracy - or error.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Sight glasses are dependent on too many variables..... how hot is the oil, viscosity, how long do you wait to check, are you sure the bike is level, same position all the time. Results can dramatically vary. You read all the time where somebody will check, check a day later it's different, check another day later it's different again, then all kinds of discussion about it and guys sucking out an ounce or two to get it just right. Dipsticks were easy, cold engine, mostly on the side stand, it reads what it reads and you know more precisely how much you're overfull.
Having said that, sight glasses are "OK" and if you're consistent about how you check it, you should get similar results..... and try not to worry too much. Found out the other day I was checking the V-Strom incorrectly.... apparently you don't put it on the centerstand, you keep both wheels on the ground (imagine sitting on the bike and leaning over to read the sight glass if you don't have a stand to hold the bike..... kinda ridiculous, yes?).

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Per the good book.
Idle 3-5 minutes.
Put on center stand.
Wait 2-3 minutes.
Check the oil level.

It's a little persnickety about being on level ground.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Found out the other day I was checking the V-Strom incorrectly.... apparently you don't put it on the centerstand, you keep both wheels on the ground (imagine sitting on the bike and leaning over to read the sight glass if you don't have a stand to hold the bike..... kinda ridiculous, yes?).
That's how it always was with sportbikes without centerstands. I would crouch down on the right side of the bike, put the right clipon end into the palm of my hand, and then carefully lean the bike vertical so I felt just a little pressure on my palm, and then look at the sightglass.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
how hot is the oil, viscosity, how long do you wait to check, are you sure the bike is level, same position all the time.
Wouldn't all of these variables individually or collectively produce exactly the same variances of reading on a dip stick as they influence the volume of the oil and its position in the engine and not the measuring instrument?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GSMetal
Bike
03 ST1300
So I did take the bike back to the dealer and they quickly fixed the problem. The oil is now at the proper level.

I can tell you the engine runs better...I noticed it right away. With too much oil it seemed like it was breathing harder, almost like someone sitting on your chest.

Runs fine now and is a much happier engine.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Wouldn't all of these variables individually or collectively produce exactly the same variances of reading on a dip stick as they influence the volume of the oil and its position in the engine and not the measuring instrument?
Yes, if you're checking the oil at any "warmed up" temperature and at various waiting times.....how hot and how long are the main variables which vary amount of drain-back/sight glass level. Dipstick checks are usually done when cold, which means the machine has been sitting for a few hours, much more repeatable IMHO. E.g., how do you check your 4 wheeled cages..... cold. Given all that, if you are consistent with either method, you should get more repeatable results. So, when I do an oil change, I go for a ride to operating temperature, park the bike on the centerstand for the same period, I know where it should be in the sight glass fairly consistently.

That said, I don't obsess over it. I put exactly the same amount of oil in at an oil change, and beyond that first level check for verification, it's not a big deal. If there's a wee bubble at the top of the sight glass the longer it sits, I know I didn't overfill it. If in the OP's case, I would judge how fast it filled the sight glass, and take an educated guess at how much it could be overfilled (a couple of ounces or half a quart), then decide if I was going to suck the excess out (I likely would if it was half a quart). It would only happen once, 'cuz thereafter, I would do my own oil changes.......... good on the OP for bringing the issue to the dealer and having them correct it, hopefully they'll be paying better attention for the next guy.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, if you're checking the oil at any "warmed up" temperature and at various waiting times.....how hot and how long are the main variables which vary amount of drain-back/sight glass level. Dipstick checks are usually done when cold, which means the machine has been sitting for a few hours, much more repeatable IMHO. E.g., how do you check your 4 wheeled cages..... cold. Given all that, if you are consistent with either method, you should get more repeatable results. So, when I do an oil change, I go for a ride to operating temperature, park the bike on the centerstand for the same period, I know where it should be in the sight glass fairly consistently.

That said, I don't obsess over it. I put exactly the same amount of oil in at an oil change, and beyond that first level check for verification, it's not a big deal. If there's a wee bubble at the top of the sight glass the longer it sits, I know I didn't overfill it. If in the OP's case, I would judge how fast it filled the sight glass, and take an educated guess at how much it could be overfilled (a couple of ounces or half a quart), then decide if I was going to suck the excess out (I likely would if it was half a quart). It would only happen once, 'cuz thereafter, I would do my own oil changes.......... good on the OP for bringing the issue to the dealer and having them correct it, hopefully they'll be paying better attention for the next guy.
First, since I come from the era when cars normally burned some oil, I check my car's oil routinely - hot and cold. If I do a high speed run for several hours, I will check the oil in my cars at gas stops (as well as before leaving on the trip). I have never seen any meaningful difference between cold and hot oil levels. Same for my ST. I check the oil after changing it (cold after the short run and wait), and also usually at the end of the day on trips. It takes but a second since I usually park the bike on the center stand. So far, I've not seen any diff between hot and cold checks - but the number of times I have done this on the bike is not a statistically significant sampling.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
The bike takes 1 gallon... if your really OCD and use an larger aftermarket filter you can add a few more ozs.

I've seen the sight glass all over the place ate diff times, Now I worry less. I just add a gallon and check it the next day in the am while on the center stand.

BTW the diff between the bottom line and top line is less than a cup! ( IIRR its about 5 ozs )

Bike
ST1300
I just bought a 2012 St1300. Looks like the oil filter is tucked in pretty tight space underneath the bike. How do most of you remove the filter? Can you grab by hand or need a certain type filter wrench or just resort to screwdriver tactics!

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
I use the FRAM Wearguard Filters, with the nonslip coating, and they back right off with a good pair of clean shop gloves. (With Bike on Sidestand) No tools. No problems.
Just put some foil over the pipes, & let the oil drain into a small pan. LOL

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Can you grab by hand or need a certain type filter wrench or just resort to screwdriver tactics!
I haven't had to do a screwdriver in two decades... the good days.

Oil filters only need to be hand-tightened. Plenty of strength in most fingers to get it snugged up. If only fingers put it on, then only fingers needed to take it off.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Dipstick checks are usually done when cold, which means the machine has been sitting for a few hours, much more repeatable IMHO. E.g., how do you check your 4 wheeled cages..... cold.
I always check my oil level when the engine is cold (in both my bikes and my cars and usually after they have sat over night) and I never see any variance in the sight glass readings. If one always performs dipstick oil checks under the same unvarying conditions and routinely achieves consistent results and then performs sight glass oil checks under widely varying conditions and gets inconsistent results I don't feel that it is reasonable to blame the sight glass for the error- it needs the same fair opportunity to perform well.

Top Bottom