Too Much Oil?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I just bought a 2012 St1300. Looks like the oil filter is tucked in pretty tight space underneath the bike. How do most of you remove the filter? Can you grab by hand or need a certain type filter wrench or just resort to screwdriver tactics!
If you haven't done it yet, the first time it's like the filter was put on at 100 ftlbs by a sumo wrestler. I will admit none of the three filter wrenches fit ( including one I bought that fit the new honda filter ). Got another strap type wrench which crushed half the filter. Ended using a large chisel at the rim edge to break it free and then unscrewed.

It doesn't need more than finger tight. Also I use a old kitchen gripper on the filters now...easy-peasy.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yes... the factory filter is cranked on hard. The end cap wrench is what we have used in the padt. The one stylr that is made size specific for the filter. 65mm if memory is correct. Most auto parts stores and Wal-Art carry it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought a 2012 St1300. Looks like the oil filter is tucked in pretty tight space underneath the bike. How do most of you remove the filter? Can you grab by hand or need a certain type filter wrench or just resort to screwdriver tactics!
This filter is the one I use. You likely will need some kind of tool to get the original factory filter off. I prefer to use a wrench 1/4 turn past finger tight. I ground off some of the wrench for lots of clearance.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I too use one of the 'hat' type that fits over the end that gets turned with a ratchet wrench. Be careful which one you buy - some are very thin sheet metal and the square hole for the ratchet will not handle the torque required to break a tight filter loose. Look for reinforced or doubled metal where the ratchet plugs in. When you use this, be sure to tap it all the way onto the filter. If you only push it on part way, it will not grip the filter and you will round the 'corners' of the flats on the end of the filter.

Hint - read all the posts on what to do to avoid spilling oil all over your exhaust pipes, stand and the floor. I use foil like ESB - and back it all up with one of those large flat shallow drip pans they put under old show cars just in case.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I use these on the ST1300

Strap%20Wrench.JPG

Fits any size / design filter and I have never crushed one with it yet including the over-tightened OEM filter.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
+1 on all the finger tighting. I only use factory filters, buy by the case and the dealer discounts for me. And the factory filter wrench. First time filter removal on both my ST1300s was way too tight. Most people over tighten the filter. Plus most times, the filter sticks slightly after being heated and cooled many times.

Just MHO....

ToddC

Top Bottom