Looking at a Wee - Opinions?

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I've noticed that many in here have a V-Strom also, or move to it as the ST becomes more bike than they want. My 16 yo son just got his cycle license. He's been practicing on my VTX1300 in parking lots and such. I think he's more than a little intimidated by the mass and power of that fine beast. I wonder if he should be on a mid size ride for a couple of years.

I've found a very nice looking '09 V-Strom 650, 5400 miles, $4950. It has hard cases and guards. I am wondering if this is a much better first ride for him. I'm a little concerned about only a 650 handling his 6'1", 225 lb body. Yes he's a big strong boy. He's got a personality that fits a dual sport. He also looks well suited on the cruiser too, tho.

I guess I'd just like to gather opinions of those who know the bike. Is that enough bike for him to ride along with me on my ST? Is that a good price for a ride in very nice condition? Would you resist spoiling the child and just make him ride what is already in the stable (the VTX).

You know, money can't buy happiness. But, it can buy a motorcycle, and that's the same thing.

Bike
09 ST1300
A 650 should keep up just fine. IMHO the main difference between mid size and large bike in real world highway speeds is that on smaller displacement machines you just have to shift more.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The Wee willl keep up, and handle his weight.... no issues. It's a different kind of bike than the ST, so your son should take some time to be accustomed to it. Don't know that I'd call it a dual sport exactly, just my opinion, but it depends on how you outfit it with tires so suit what you want to use it for. If it's got the stock seat, you'll likely want to change it...... someday you'll want a suspension upgrade.... lots of info on Stromtrooper.com

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Thank you for the opinions! I did take a quick look at Stromtrooper.com, and noticed there is a nice debate about it being a good first bike. I'll be looking thru those forums as I get time.

The boy has very little experience on any particular bike so far, so anything will be a learning opportunity for him. But, he is so eager to get out with me and ride.

I checked, and NADA has this machine at about $5800 for the options it has. With an asking price of $4950, I'd say this is a pretty safe gamble.

Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
I have a '09 DL650. With about 75hp at the crank ths bike won't have any problem keeping up with traffic. The price you quoted is a good one for what it has on it. At 6'1" your son may want to install a foot peg lowering kit. I put a Sargent seat on mine which improved comfort. Like was mentioned suspension, especially the rear shock, would be a recommended upgrade.
Really a fun bike to ride!

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
You are welcome to ride mine at Poopy's on Sunday and decide firsthand.

Greg

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
You are welcome to ride mine at Poopy's on Sunday and decide firsthand.

Greg
Oh my! I did remember that you had one, but forgot that you planned to come Sunday. I will very likely accept your offer.

Thank you ...

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I have a '15 DL650 XT and at 6' and 210 have no problems with it on the road, even two up (another added 175 lbs.) It gets ride down the road and has more than enough power to fight the angry car mob. I find the ergos are close enough to the ST that I am as comfortable on the XT stock as on the ST with some bar risers. It is a different feel, a bit buzzy but with a throttle clamp I have no problems with numbness or finger / wrist discomfort.

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
I really appreciate everyone's input! I guess it's safe to say it's 100% a positive vote. I think we will be pursuing. Just have to get it past the boss (wife). But she rarely tells me I can't. Besides, if I part with my VTX, the purchase is very nearly a wash.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Don't be fooled into thinking the Wee is a small small bike. It is heavy and tall. Neither should be a problem for your son but he will drop it.
I have an 07. Just did 200 miles of gravel today. Still smiling. No, it is not a true "dual sport" , whatever that is. Fairly good on the hiway, decent on gravel and FSR. Sucks on single track. Reliable as an anvil.

The one you describe is priced good.

Rod

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Don't be fooled into thinking the Wee is a small small bike. It is heavy and tall. Neither should be a problem for your son but he will drop it.
I have an 07. Just did 200 miles of gravel today. Still smiling. No, it is not a true "dual sport" , whatever that is. Fairly good on the hiway, decent on gravel and FSR. Sucks on single track. Reliable as an anvil. ...
Oh no!! I don't think its a scooter or such. BUT, it's 200# lighter and literally half the engine size of my VTX, which is the current option. His mommy and grandmother are both pleased with this. So, don't tell on me. Even tho he has just gotten his MC license, he has been told he will NOT ride without me for at least this season.

I also understand that it's a "pseudo" dual sport, adventure, or whatever. Basically as you just described is what we expect. I do like your reliability comment ... a lot.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I have an 07. Just did 200 miles of gravel today. Still smiling. No, it is not a true "dual sport" , whatever that is. Fairly good on the hiway, decent on gravel and FSR. Sucks on single track. Reliable as an anvil.

My buddy runs his all over the place and like said, solid as a rock still at 32k on his.
One thing of note, he was doing a bit more gravel than road on a couple of trips, he picked up an extra sprocket ( one tooth less ) to help the low end,... he said it was better for that type of roads.

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
My buddy runs his all over the place and like said, solid as a rock still at 32k on his.
One thing of note, he was doing a bit more gravel than road on a couple of trips, he picked up an extra sprocket ( one tooth less ) to help the low end,... he said it was better for that type of roads.
Interesting. I have a friend that changed the sprocket to one more? Said it was a lot nicer for cruising on the freeway.

Nice to be able to change it like that.

Mark

OP
OP
cybervet

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Good for you. My buddy and frequent riding partner is on his second 650, he just bought a '15 model new. He is 6'3" about 190 lbs. and loves the things. He won't even look at a 1000. This guy is the fastest street rider I have ever seen and frequently just smokes lesser riders on big sportbikes on his 650 in the twistys, plus he gets great mileage doing it.

Top Bottom