The Void 10 Rally

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
So after watching yet another Iron Butt ride I have come to the conclusion that I want to give a smaller rally a try and see how I like it. I am planning to throw my name in the hat for the Void 10 and see how I can do. Not planning any extreme farkle adds to the bike, just go and ride what I have and have a good time.

Here is the rally page link if anyone else is considering giving it a try:

http://www.rallythevoid.org/

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
It is a fun Rally Landon. I did it a few years ago and am registered for this years. I am starting in PA, any idea where you are going to pick for a start?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I've wanted to do the void rally for years. I never seem to be able to get the time off I need to do it. I'll try again this year, but it's not looking good. If I can get off, I'll be starting from Tennessee.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
It is a fun Rally Landon. I did it a few years ago and am registered for this years. I am starting in PA, any idea where you are going to pick for a start?
Murfreesboro, TN. I already sent the registration, I AM IN!

Bike
ST1300
I am registered and ran it last year. It was a great rally and I really enjoyed it. I think the stories afterward are nearly as much fun as riding it. Be ready for rain! Hopefully we can arrange a dinner in Murfreesboro the night before the start.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I'm planning on doing the 10-hour-rally (I'm a stone's throw from the rally destination), SWMBO permitting of course.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
So I see the start is 9 am on Friday and scoring opens 2 pm on Saturday - 29 hours later. Then it also says DNF is at 31 hours after the start which would be 4 pm. Do they run this the same as the IBR where penalty points are given during a time window near the end?

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
No check read the schedule again. You have 31 hours from your start time to DNF. No penalty points, you are in by 31 hours or you are DNF. 2PM is the time scoring opens not what time you have to be in by. So if you start at say 8:30 for a PA starter you must be on no more than 31 hours later. So that would be 3:30. At least that is how I am reading it for this year.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Gotcha - didn't necessarily expect them to put all the details into that basic schedule so I thought there might still be a chance they worked something like that into the game when they send out the rally book.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
From what I've read on past Void Rallies, you have to arrive and get all your scoring information together and handed in within 31 hours. So if it takes you a half hour once you arrive at the finish you better have that time planned into your route. Its something I don't really know how to plan for since its my first rally, I don't know if I will need 10 minutes or an hour to sort the paperwork and pictures out once I arrive. I know you have to cross all your T's and dot the I's or you will lose points.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I did not have to do scoring on the clock in 2012 at the Void. But things may have changed. Sounds like something to ask on the void group.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I think what I read one you have to had the sealed envelop in to stop the clock. Not necessarily been scored, but have the packet in and be ready to be scored.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Deep breath.... "click" - I'm registered!

Have spent too many hours reading IBR threads, ride reports and updates - time to get into the game! I'm guessing that Jay & I might be able to hook up with you on our way down to TN on Thursday Landon....

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Cool. I don't know what my plans are for heading down Thursday yet though. Its only a few hour ride for me so I may work most the day.

As for the rally itself, my goal is just to participate, be safe, have fun, and finish. Don't care what place I am when I finish.

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
I know I'm tempting fate by saying this, but I'm glad the rally isn't this weekend considering the weather that is sitting on top of the SE US right now. Might not be any better in a couple of weeks, but I can hope...right? :)

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
My rally prep continued yesterday - I wasn't able to attend the awesome Indiana Tech Day down at Gary's (GreenZR) place last month, but was able to sneak down and spend a few hours with Gary in his shop doing a bit of maintenance on the bike as the rally nears. Got the bike up on his lift and dropped the rear wheel so we could do a tire change. Trying something new - using DynaBeads to balance the wheel. Saw one of the O rings looked a bit flat and of course Gary opened up a desk drawer in his shop and pulled one out.

IMAG3178.jpg

Realized that I was in dire need of rear pads and of course didn't have any on hand, but luckily Gary kept a partially used set from someone else that had changed them at the Tech Day so we slipped them in as they were better than what we pulled out. Got some new Moly on the splines and put the rear all back together. Photo taken after we wiped the old Moly off - wheel has 57,XXX miles on it.

IMAG3182.jpg

Had an original headlight bulb that had gone out awhile ago and snagged some Hella bulbs from Slasher so we put those in up front. Tidied up some wiring to the brake light in the topbox and we were off to grab some BBQ before I headed home!

Can't thank Gary enough for spending 1/2 a day helping me out - removing distractions is the key to any good long distance riding event and we definitely accomplished that getting these few things done before the rally - less than 10 days to the start!

Top Bottom