rear m/c sub assembly removal ST1100

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
How the heck do you disconnect this thing from the pedal. I have everything loose and hanging (and even a spare I'm holding in my hand) and cannot disconnect either of them. Says to remove the cotter pin 27 from the joint 29. There is no cotter pin and the joint cannot clear the brake rod joint 20.

non ABS

Attachments

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The manual says that right step holder (the part that the foot pedal attaches to) has to removed first before the master cylinder is disassembled. I've looked at it a couple of times and said no way!

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
The manual says that right step holder (the part that the foot pedal attaches to) has to removed first before the master cylinder is disassembled. I've looked at it a couple of times and said no way!
It's off. Not a problem. It's just that connection at the pedal that's a mystery.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I always forget to take 'before' pictures Karen. But as you well know, when ya have two 1100's, you always have a reference point!

Roof done?

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Dean,
I'm guessing here but it looks to me like someone made that connection with the Brake pedal disconnected. This made it possible to put that pin in from the wrong side, making it impossible to get out without removing the brake pedal.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Dean,
I'm guessing here but it looks to me like someone made that connection with the Brake pedal disconnected. This made it possible to put that pin in from the wrong side, making it impossible to get out without removing the brake pedal.
Looks that way to me too. It also appears that the end of the connecting piece has somehow broken off so that the part with the hole in it for the cotter pin is no longer there. I suspect it may be JB welded or somehow interference fit into the hole, and that is likely why the orientation of the connecting piece is the way it is. It prevents the connector from falling out completely if the kluged attachment method ever fails. Looks like the next step is to remove the pedal and see what it takes to remove that broken connector, then I'd buy a new one and put it back together the way its supposed to be.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep Bill, I just popped the clip off the pedal. Problem solved. The pin is, I think, meant to be inserted in that direction though?

Nothing is broken.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
So if nothing is broken, where is the cotter pin and the cotter pin hole? Is that parts diagram from a different year perhaps and yours never had a cotter pin?

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
... Looks like the next step is to remove the pedal and see what it takes to ....
I agree; remove the pedal from the peg holder so that you can get that large peg holder out of the picture and work better.
Yep Bill, I just popped the clip off the pedal. Problem solved....
Good work.
I've never separated the pedal from the master cylinder though; I don't know those details, but you might find them in the service manuals; try the Clymer or the Haynes.

Last edited:
Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Looks like you have lost the cotter pin. You'll have to punch the joint pin thru the clevis. I'm assuming that there is enough clearance between the head of the joint pin and the backside of the footpeg holder, otherwise you'll have to take off the brake pedal. I'm sure that you've already done this.

Top Bottom