Engine heat

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Gazzilion threads on this use the search function.

Std suggestions.

Wear regular high +12" inch riding boots.
Riding pants.
That will go a long way towards keeping heating off your shins.

Highway pegs help get your legs out in cleaner air.

Some remove the inner fairings. I have not noticed much difference, when it's hot out it's hot LOL.

Others cut 2 or 3 inches off the windscreen for more air flow. Put masking tape on the windscreen so you don't scratch it and mark your cut line. 3 teeth or so pitch to windscreen thickness less will make more chips more might melt it more.
There's cheap purpose made deburring tools for plastic or just sand a radius on the cut edge when you're done.

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Install the factory faring deflectors and that will help a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I tried several of the "fixes" to no avail. The only thing that helped a little was different pipes to get the catalytic converter out from other my feet.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Get a piece of foam pipe wrap from lowes or elsewhere....the type with adhesive ....attach to tank between tank and seat......Get the tube type...Ain't pretty but it helps,,,,,,,,BG

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
Yes...was in 100 degree heat for 4.2 hrs from OKC to Dallas yesterday and will have to do it again tomorrow going back...I was seeing that girl in the flat bed ford! I'll have to get started on some of your advices. Y'all are funny! This is my second ST...and it ain't any better than the first. I am glad I got one now that their no longer being built! Thanx y'all for your input! Jeff

OP
OP
neumsky
Bike
2010 ST-1300
What's amazing is...nobody's come up with an absolute fix yet. It's not like other manufacturers aren't sitting on a motor also!

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
An interesting point is that some people have owned what they considered a 'hot' bike and also a 'normal bike', so personal heat tolerance wasn't at play in their determination.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
It's not like other manufacturers aren't sitting on a motor also!
Other manufacturers aren't sitting on this motor.

The longitudinal V in the ST puts the exhaust headers less than six inches from your shins. With outside air being forced in through the front, the only way for it to go from there is back, bringing the heat with it. They'd have to stretch the chassis a half inch or so to put metal heat deflectors in the back of the fairing, and that would add more weight to the whole package. We love the engine in this bike but there are trade-offs in everything, which in this case is heat. I ride in a full suit and tall boots, so there are probably enough layers in play that I don't notice the heat very often. I did notice it more when I rode in jeans.

Other bikes in this segment either have their heads and exhaust out in the open air (R12RT) or have transverse, inline engines that put the hot side away from the rider (FJR, Conk, K16GT). With the exhaust manifold up front, the block and heads, which are being kept at a reasonable temperature by the cooling system, act as an insulator and air deflector that makes the exhaust heat easier to get rid of without as much of it reaching the rider.

--Mark

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
One thing no one else has mentioned, and since I have a couple of '04s and a 2010, the 2010 runs hotter than the '04s and IMHO, I think that's because of the extra catalytic converter material they put in the mufflers starting in 2008. Which I theorize as more pressure in the exhaust before the converters, therefore more heat! To combat the tank from boiling over every time I ride when it's hot, I put some insulation between the airbox and tank, which seems to help a lot on the gas smell after riding.

I have a set of brand new pre-08 mufflers sitting in my garage and as soon as I can have the heatshield mounts welded to the leftside ('03s did not have the heatshield on the left muffler) I will be mounting those on my 2010! That will let me test my "Hotter" theory. :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
Check out this link:
http://www.donferrario.com/St1300/

I did this, PLUS added DIY Baker Air Wings. It is more tolerable, but as ST1300r says, "when it's hot, it's hot."

I did add an IVAN's FCE as well, which seemed to do nothing at all.
The heats there and we must deal with it...in various ways. My ST2003 had a Corbin seat that sent the heat up perfectly that it dried off my helmet visor in rainstorms. Almost. Now that I have this new to me 2005 ST, I am curious how well that foil of yours stays adhered to your frame...especially the aluminum areas. I did use something similar to that material on my 2003 to block heat, although loosely. Under the seat between the seat and tank, I would drape that material over the area where the heat would come up...place the seat and trim the material to be unnoticeable. This was only done for long rides.

Top Bottom