ST1100 rear tire noises in 20 - 30 mph speed ???

Bike
ST1100L
First sorry about my english, some tecnical terms are not correct i guess... So this is what happened:

Old Bridgestone Battlax tyre worn out and i replaced it with new Michelin Commander 2 tire (160/70-17). Now there comes little noise from rear tire in speed of 20-30 mph. Can also feel a little wopplin from rear tyre in that speed. If speed is lower than 20...no noise, speed over 30...no noise. It comes a bit louder when i use rear brake. When speed decreases and i have clutc on (bike rolls) noise is not so loud. If i drive 2 gear noise starts bit earlier than in 3 gear, i mean in lower mph.

Tire rolling direction is right.
It is changed and balanced in tyreshop, not many balance weights
Axle nut is tight
Axle other side small "locking" bolt is tight (brake disc side)
Brake caliber lockin bolt is tight
There is thrust washer between Final driven flange and rim
Distance collar is in place in final drive

Can this noise come from tyre ?
Final Driven flange is maybe in different holes that it was before. Could this make the noise ?

Handling of the bike in corners got very much better with this tyre, but this noise :(

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Feel a little wopplin from rear tyre in that speed.
might you give me a hint as to what wopplin might mean? :)

Final Driven flange is maybe in different holes that it was before. Could this make the noise ?
No... I have done *many* tire changes and never had any noise caused by changing the orientation of the 'holes' (alignment) of the splines when I mounted the rear tire.

Avtrician

I think by wopplin he means wobbling.

The rear wheel may be out of balance, or the tyre might not be running true. There may also be a problem with the wheel bearings.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Jotta auttaa paremmin ymm?rt?m??n ongelman olet harkinnut kirjoittamisen suomeksi ja sitten k?ytt?m?ll? Google Translator virkaan.

To assist with better understanding of the issue have you considered writing in Finnish and then using Google translator for the post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1100L
I think by wopplin he means wobbling.

The rear wheel may be out of balance, or the tyre might not be running true.
What this mean ? Do you mean that rear tyre is not in same line with front tire or with frame of bike ?
Wopplin = wobbling
I think balance is right (in higher speed there is no problem)
Wheel bearings are new
pressure in tyre is 3.3 bar (that is something like 47 psi)

Bike
2010 ST1300
What this mean ? Do you mean that rear tyre is not in same line with front tire or with frame of bike ?
Wopplin = wobbling
I think balance is right (in higher speed there is no problem)
Wheel bearings are new
pressure in tyre is 3.3 bar (that is something like 47 psi)
If you feel wobbling, you mean the tire is wandering on the road - the bike is not tracking straight. I assume you mean this is on smooth roads and would be what we commonly feel when a bike goes on a road they are grinding the asphalt off prior to resurfacing.

If by wobbling you can see the tire is wobbling when the bike is on the center stand, then the tire has a defect. I assume there is no play in the rear wheel when spun by hand (on centerstand) and when you try to push on the wheel/tire rim to check for play or looseness.

Defective tires do make it out to the sales floor. I don't know how you figure this out except by eliminating all other causes and trying another tire. Maybe you can remount the old tire and see how it tracks?

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100L
In centerstand there is no wobbling and cannot see tyre wobbling. I try with lower pressure... Best thing would be to change tyre from other bike and try it.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100L
In centerstand there is no wobbling and cannot see tyre wobbling. I try with lower pressure... Best thing would be to change tyre from other bike and try it. O.ld tyre is in tyreshops carbage

with the bike up on the center stand, try moving the wheel side to side( not rotating about the axel) the 1100 is a bit tough on bearings, and if it were me, I'd change out the bearing set just on general principals.

Top Bottom